Quantcast

Is it worth it? upgrading an old Trek 560

Cajonezzz

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
oceanside ca
I've got the bug to start doing some road biking again. It's been years since I've ridden ( I do a lot of mtn biking) road, with the last being a 40 mile commute to work.

I've put on some lb's in the last few years and I'm slowly getting back in shape, but I think the addition of some road miles would speed that up.

I have a dream of training over the next year and entering some ultra events, double century's and specifically the Furnace Creek 508. It's a dream.

So, I own a 17 yr old trek 560. It's a stell frame, 12 speed. wheels are shot and drive train needs replacing (I beat it to hell commuting on it.)
Question is, can that frame be upgraded to any of the new stuff...ie: STI and possibly a triple? I'm thinking not, as the rear spacing of the frame is probably too narrow for the new stuff....???

there are a lot of bikes in the budget range out there, but most if not all seem to be aluminum. I think I'd like to stick with steel . I'm talking about under say 900 bucks (if an upgrade would be silly)

Suggestions appreciated either way. I'm looking for something in a 54cm btw, and would consider recent used as well.

thanks !

craig
Proxy music
Creative Mobile Recording

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
I think that if you are inlove with your old trusted frame, a look on ebay for old school equipment might be worth it, before you consider getting something new. I mean if you like the frame that is, why not keep it till it gives up the ghost before you replace it?

I see old road stuff on ebay often enough to think you can replace your worn out components if you'd rather do that than get something new.

its worth a look at least :) good luck whichever way you go!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
uhh, if the 520 doesn't fit you really really (once more) really well, then you need a new bike. I say this cuz you wanna do a double century? :eek: I would not do that unless I was on a bike that fit me super awesome. Unless you're talking a double metric century.

If you really wanna do 200 miles, find a way to get your budget up, say, another $600?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Yee gods its steel for christs sake! You can spread the rear triangle to handle modern spacing easily. If you want to keep the frame just buy some modern parts for it.

The 560 is 531 main tubes with generic stays and fork I think. Its ok, but not great. If you upgrade, think of it in steps. First buy parts to get the bike back on the road, but keep in mind that you're going to want a new frame not too far down the line and start budgeting for that as well. Otherwise just buy a new bike.

vintage-trek.com might interest you.