Quantcast

is saying "oh my God" blasphemous?

G

gravity

well? DT, fourgivn1, can you tell me whether that would be considered blasphemy?

If it is, then I'm in big trouble. :D

Lemme put it like this, from a Biblical standpoint. There's ONE unforgiveable sin in the Bible, and that is the sin of grieving the Holy Spirit. From what I understand, this can only be committed by unbelievers....what it is, is essentially what the Pharisees did. They had Jesus standing right in front of them, and obviously heard reports about or talked to people who saw the resurrected Christ, and STILL refused to believe, or (worse yet) attributed it all to the 'devil's' work. They had as much proof as one could have, and said "Nope, still not gonna do it."

Everything else can be forgiven. (No, not fourgivn1. :D) The definition of blasphemous is 'impiously irreverent.' In that sense, no, not really, because 99.999999% of people who say it, including me, are saying it ONLY as a sort of 'standard' response to being shocked or surprised or upset or what have you, not as a way of saying "I'm so shocked by this that I'm going to be impiously irreverent." :D

That being said, I still smack my head and say "Oops...I'm sorry, please forgive me" when I do it, because I do it way more than I should.