Quantcast

is there coil and travel upgrades for my marzocchi mx comp air?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I was talking to this guy today after my ride who was telling me that he upgraded his marzocchi with a smaller spacer (more travel) and a coil spring kit. He said both of which cost him $60'ish. Does anyone have any more info for me on this? Is it something I can do with my '03 comp air?

Also, while I got you guys looking at this I have a question about the two adjustment screws on the bottom of the shocks. What are they for and how do I adjust them? Are they both rebound or is one compression? The manual is pretty vague about this.

Thanks
Dan

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I looked around at different web retaillers and saw that every place carrying the MX Comp lists that a travel upgrade option is available. None of them list just the upgrade kit though.

I'd call Marzocchi and ask them.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what a ****ty day. I decided to try and see if the two bolts at the bottom were for adjustment or rebound or compression. Turns out they aren't for either. I kind of realized that when it didn't click into different settings, but for some reason I just kept unscrewing until a blast of air and what seems to be grey'ish white oil came spewing out. WTF have I done? Is this something I can fix on my own?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by dfinn
what a ****ty day. I decided to try and see if the two bolts at the bottom were for adjustment or rebound or compression. Turns out they aren't for either. I kind of realized that when it didn't click into different settings, but for some reason I just kept unscrewing until a blast of air and what seems to be grey'ish white oil came spewing out. WTF have I done? Is this something I can fix on my own?
Damn. I missed that part of your original post. Yeah, the two bolts on the bottom are what connect the outer part of the fork to the inner part of the fork. All adjustments are usually done with the knobs on top, or by adding/taking away air pressure.

I was just looking at the manual, and you're right, it's is kind of lacking. My Z2 manual has step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble the fork, change the oil, etc. I'd get thee to your LBS. Ask if you can watch them do the work so you know how to do it next time.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
Let's get things strait:

- If you have the black MX Comp Air, then it has 105mm of travel and you cannot have more travel by doing an upgrade.
- If you have the red MX Comp Air, then it has 85mm of travel and then you can upgrade to 105mm of travel.
- On both the 85 and 105mm version an upgrade is possible where you change the topcaps (to the ones that are suited for coil sprung forks) and put a coil spring in each leg.
- There are two adjustments you can do on this fork:
1. Preload, guess you allready know that...
2. Rebound. For this adjustments, you have to let all the air out of both fork legs and unscrew your topcaps. Then insert that long allen key you got with your forks. You can increase damping (slower rebound) by turning the allen key counterclockwise and decrease damping (faster rebound) by turning it clockwise. From the factory setting you can turn it 3 turns both clockwise and counterclockwise.

Hope this will help you...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
hmm...that's strange. Mine is grey and I had the guy at my LBS call marzocchi and they said there is no upgrade for mine. Also, I bought the bike used and I didn't recieve an allen key. Is there something special about it or will a standard one work?

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Are you sure you have a 2003 MX Comp fork? Cause a grey one could be a 2002 MXR or a 2003 MX Pro or something like that. And for the allen key: the one Marzocchi includes with MX Comp forks are very large ones, like 10 inches long. Don't think you have one of those in your toolbox, have you?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
No, I don't believe I do. It says MX Comp 03 on it. It's what came on my '03 Rocky Mtn Carve.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
I searched the new Marzocchi website, but I can't find information about springs. I'd say: go to your LBS and he should know what 100mm springs are available and get yourself some topcaps for coil sprung forks...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
one LBS said no-such-thing the other said hell yeah they had them in the back and they could throw them on tomorrow. they were really vague when I asked them how to pick a spring rate. It sounds like they are either just gonna try and sell me what they happen to have in stock or that there is only a couple of different rates to go with. He did mention that they make linear and progressive springs, I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with linear.