Quantcast

Is this a good first mountain bike?

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Are you getting it from a department store or a bike shop? that looks like a department store bike, and for $350 you can get a better hardtail. Probably not a full suspension for that much much, but definitely a good hardtail for light use. Oh, if you don't know, hardtail means only front suspension. I suggest going to a professional bike shop and see what they can hook you up with. You'll only be disappointed with a bike from a department store.

Mikehenryjr

Chimp
Aug 12, 2008
Yeah that bike is from a department store. I am going to go to a bike shop and see what they have as well. This was just a starting point. I am new to the mountain bike world and have lots to learn.

What should I look for in a mountain bike? What do you think about used bikes?

I live in San Diego so I am pretty sure there are lots of places to go riding. I do not need to crazy of a setup. I just want something where I can go ride and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Mike

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
San Diego does have a lot of good trails, good place to ride ;)

Bikes: At $350 you should get a hardtail from a bikeshop. I'd avoid full suspension bike until $1500 and up. If you are new to riding I'd avoid used bikes, there's too many potential problems to arise that might get frustrating. Don't forget the essentials! A quality helmet that fits you, good gloves and shorts and a camelbak and basic repair tools. Pump, tire levers and a multi-tool. Try to save a few more bucks if you can too ;)

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
If you go to a shop, make sure they have it fitted to you. and it might be worth it to see if they can instruct you to do a few basic repairs. they should be able to outfit with all the extra stuff you need (helmet, pads[if needed], hydration [make SURE it comes with a water bottle or get one]). Other than that, go out, have fun, be safe :)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I live in San Diego so I am pretty sure there are lots of places to go riding. I do not need to crazy of a setup. I just want something where I can go ride and enjoy the outdoors.

Mike
Mike,

I'm in SD as well. I can help you find a bike around the $350 range that will get you through your beginner years and beyond. If you don't mind used, I can point you to some pretty good ones. I just need some info.

How tall are you?
What is your inseam?
How much do you weigh?

Don't worry Zark, I'll make sure he finds a good one.

Mikehenryjr

Chimp
Aug 12, 2008
I am 6 foot tall, I wear a 30 inch inseam jeans (not sure exactly what my inseam is since I do not have a tape measure right now) and I weigh around 186 pounds.

Thanks for your help.

TrailMonkey

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
The bike you mentioned is not even a good entry level bike....it's crap for the most part.
How much are you wanting to spend on a bike?
And what type of riding are you going to do?
If you're limit is $350 go with a hard tail and be careful of buying used.
Try your LBS first and get a feel for what you're looking for.
Do a little research, compare prices and components....and visit a couple different forums as well.
And remember what Zark said: Don't forget the essentials!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I am 6 foot tall, I wear a 30 inch inseam jeans (not sure exactly what my inseam is since I do not have a tape measure right now) and I weigh around 186 pounds.

Thanks for your help.
I don't know why people are hating on used bikes. If you're careful and know what you're looking at, there should be no problem.

Mike... I'll PM you some links to local bikes. Alread found 2 that should fit you pretty well and are already well equipped.

mtbikerbob

Chimp
Jul 28, 2008
Syracuse, NY
I don't know why people are hating on used bikes. If you're careful and know what you're looking at, there should be no problem.

I think thats the point, he is new with no idea what to look for so used could be more problems than good. Once you know what you are looking at used is great.

Bob

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I think thats the point, he is new with no idea what to look for so used could be more problems than good. Once you know what you are looking at used is great.

Bob
That's exactly why he's here... to get some info and to learn the good vs. the bad. That we can agree on. What I'm trying to say is that, just because it's used doesn't mean its always junk. Ride happy people! I know I do.

Fleawest

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
I would go to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and look at what they have to offer in your price range and a little over. Get sized and learn about the different components. Ask them about the common damage that occurs when mountain biking. If you like what they have in your price range at the store make a purchase. If not, see whats on craigslist and use your new found knowledge to avoid buying a beater. People are looking for cash these days and you can find some great deals on used bikes that are practically brand new.

Last edited: