Quantcast

Is this a good LT pulse

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I just did this 10min thing that The Mountain Bikers training bible tells you to do to find your anerobic threshold heart rate.
I did it on my trainer so it would be most acurate.

This is a stupid question but is this a good LT (lactic threshold) pulse for a 15 year old who has been riding for 1 year and racing during half that time and before all that just a choach patato.

My LT pulse is 173 BPM which is 84% of max according to my heart rate monitor.
So is that good? do i have below average?:confused: :monkey:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Like everything physical - it depends. Seriously, don't worry about comparing your LT or max HR to other people. Just concentrate on yourself and how your stats react to training.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
No whats your LT pulse in BPMs

I'm guessing my max is 205-206 by using the 220 - age formula.
I don't use my HRM in races but i'm pretty sure in this one race my worst ever that i totally maxed it out. I had a heat stroke at the end it was so hot but i got 3rd or 2nd can't remember. It was a stupid thing todo cause i really felt like i was going to die.:p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
Like everything physical - it depends. Seriously, don't worry about comparing your LT or max HR to other people. Just concentrate on yourself and how your stats react to training.
what i was gonna say.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
No whats your LT pulse in BPMs

I'm guessing my max is 205-206 by using the 220 - age formula.
I don't use my HRM in races but i'm pretty sure in this one race my worst ever that i totally maxed it out. I had a heat stroke at the end it was so hot but i got 3rd or 2nd can't remember. It was a stupid thing todo cause i really felt like i was going to die.:p
waho damn dude that test must have been hard if it only lasted 10 minutes....cuz the ones my coach makes me do are hella hard if it's taht short. but don't worry to much about comparing AT hr's and max's b/c everyone's are going to be totally different. you should really wear them when you race, don't pay attention to it but let it record just so you can go back and look at how you were doing while racing.

WoodyUpstate

Chimp
Oct 10, 2002
Upstate NY
Is your LT good or bad, or better than someone elses? It just doesn't matter. You don't win a race by comparing LT, you win by beating the field. It helps to have a higher LT, for sure, so train and work on it, but don't compare LT to another persons. When it comes to heart rates, genetics, age, size, weight, fitness are all variables that can make your LT and max HR different from the next person's.

My LT right now is 165bpm. But in the spring it was around 152. Training raised it, of course. Keep in mind that I'm 42 years old, and my max is 186.