Quantcast

Is this still the "Downhill" forum?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've always thought of the DH forum as "F19" That's 14 MOAR!

Unfortunately that makes it sounds like a jet propelled stealth innocent person killing flying machine rather than a bunch of blokes arguing about bicycle tyres. So yeah. go with "condition 5" if my vote is valid.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
what is condition 5?
take a look here for an explanation.

TL/DR:
S Pot bikes said:
-Although our warranty process is known to be extremely forgiving, the whole industry is in a challenging place regarding bikes and their intended uses. Our current models are NOT made to be used for downhill, freeride, slopestyle, park, etc. If they were, they'd be at least 35 lbs. The industry standard that carves out intended use is the ASTM Standard Classification for Bicycle Usage. Unfortunately, the Conditions (classifications) are quite broad. Condition-3 bikes are stated to keep jumps or drops below 24". Condition-4 bikes to keep jumps and drops BELOW 48" and speeds lower than 25mph. Only Condition-5 bikes are for more extreme riding. For anyone out there wanting a bike for extreme riding, the inference is to only purchase a Condition 5 bike.
Still TL/DR:

It's BS, that's what it is!

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I never thought it was possible that I could be LESS likely to buy a spot frame.

They did it! Somehow I'm even less likely to buy one now. It's like zero divided by infinity. Solid work.
I always thought of Spot as Fixies and Cyclocross sold through J&B or something.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I never thought it was possible that I could be LESS likely to buy a spot frame.

They did it! Somehow I'm even less likely to buy one now. It's like zero divided by infinity. Solid work.
Add Canyon to that list. They use the same category 1-5 BS get out clause for their bike line up too. They hide it pretty well but make you agree to it when buying.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Add Canyon to that list. They use the same category 1-5 BS get out clause for their bike line up too. They hide it pretty well but make you agree to it when buying.
Isn't it an industry attempt to standardize categorize uses?! I seem to remember reading that on numerous new items I've bought over the years.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm surprised more people aren't upset that this doesn't appear to be the Freeride forum anymore. It's definitely turned more into jibbing related bikes which are just toned down versions of freeride bikes that have been compromised. Jibbing is where old Freeriders go to retire.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you'd like a second helping of stupid, let me direct you to an 840mm wide bar that's rated to condition 3, i.e. jumps and drops under 24".

https://whiskyparts.co/handlebars/no9_35_riser_bar
Those motherfuckers do not deserve that name. Imma slug a fifth of bulleit and knock their little buffalo trace pinky snifters straight up their arses. Annexation is in their future.

edit:
oh my god

kill.JPG

I think I actually mean what I said in this post after seeing that. .......gettin punchy..........

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm surprised more people aren't upset that this doesn't appear to be the Freeride forum anymore. It's definitely turned more into jibbing related bikes which are just toned down versions of freeride bikes that have been compromised. Jibbing is where old Freeriders go to retire.
Enduro is very close to what most people were doing on Freeride bikes

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Keep your shit in check, freeriders!

https://www.astm.org/newsroom/astm-standard-bicycle-classification-usage-revised-proposed-trailer-cycles-specification

- Condition 0 — Adult supervision required, no traffic;
- Condition 1 — Suitable for road riding (only);
- Condition 2 — For off-road riding and jumps less than 12 in. (30 cm.);
- Condition 3 — For rough off-road riding and jumps less than 24 in. (61 cm.); and
- Condition 4 — For extreme off-road riding.

Notice the official ASTM chart doesn't list the elusive Condition 5 ....

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Keep your shit in check, freeriders!

https://www.astm.org/newsroom/astm-standard-bicycle-classification-usage-revised-proposed-trailer-cycles-specification

- Condition 0 — Adult supervision required, no traffic;
- Condition 1 — Suitable for road riding (only);
- Condition 2 — For off-road riding and jumps less than 12 in. (30 cm.);
- Condition 3 — For rough off-road riding and jumps less than 24 in. (61 cm.); and
- Condition 4 — For extreme off-road riding.

Notice the official ASTM chart doesn't list the elusive Condition 5 ....

Damn! I didn't understand where this Condition 3, 4, 5 was coming from. The only thing that made sense was that it was probably a Bong Shed related inside joke I missed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You don't hit jumps on your Enduro bike?

Not too many 50 ft ones, or ones with awkward super rowdy landings/runouts. I get what you're saying and I do agree with you. But my 'freeride bikes' had dh wheels and tires on them and I did lots of stuff I'd never do on a 29lb trail bike. They're still kinda fragile. I had a carbon trail bike with some heavy duty stuff on it that I kinda did treat like that. It broke. And so did the next one.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
(hell isn't one of Santa Cruz people still active here from time to time?).

I still read these forums fairly regularly for some compulsive reason. My observation is that over time there's been less to engage in conversations in, at least for me. I'm not a tire or shimz expert, so I try to limit my input to things I have some insight on or can add value to the thread. I agree with the other commentary that some "industry" people use the forum to get some exposure/buy-in or wading in as an "expert" when they are developing an idea or invention or company - or attemping to avert a PR nightmare, and after that incident they tune out since they don't like being challenged or exposed. The latter happens pretty regularly in these pages and is the reason this community is unique and what I like about it. If you can't stand the heat, get off the internet.

Also, I've never visited another forum besides the Downhill & Freeride, I thought they were window dressing.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You're doing it wrong joe. You're supposed to come on here with subtle marketing jargon veiled as 'open discussion' about products you have a vested interest in selling. And then act like a condescending prick when genuine potential customers ask honest questions.

I'm so glad most of that shit is over with.