Quantcast

Is this still the "Downhill" forum?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I still read these forums fairly regularly for some compulsive reason. My observation is that over time there's been less to engage in conversations in, at least for me. I'm not a tire or shimz expert, so I try to limit my input to things I have some insight on or can add value to the thread. I agree with the other commentary that some "industry" people use the forum to get some exposure/buy-in or wading in as an "expert" when they are developing an idea or invention or company - or attemping to avert a PR nightmare, and after that incident they tune out since they don't like being challenged or exposed. The latter happens pretty regularly in these pages and is the reason this community is unique and what I like about it. If you can't stand the heat, get off the internet.

Also, I've never visited another forum besides the Downhill & Freeride, I thought they were window dressing.
Joe, are you working on anything with missing links, integrated SPF30 protection or carbon leaf springs?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Keep your shit in check, freeriders!

https://www.astm.org/newsroom/astm-standard-bicycle-classification-usage-revised-proposed-trailer-cycles-specification

- Condition 0 — Adult supervision required, no traffic;
- Condition 1 — Suitable for road riding (only);
- Condition 2 — For off-road riding and jumps less than 12 in. (30 cm.);
- Condition 3 — For rough off-road riding and jumps less than 24 in. (61 cm.); and
- Condition 4 — For extreme off-road riding.

Notice the official ASTM chart doesn't list the elusive Condition 5 ....

So Spot cant even get their conditions correct.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So Spot cant even get their conditions correct.
When they sell you a bike it's category 3 or 4. When you break one of their bikes it's because you were obviously doing category 5 riding.

Because porcupine rim is a brand new trail that only recently people have begun riding bikes on. totally new.

I'm joking of course because rock jesus wannabe obviously doesn't even know how to setup a suspension bike. I agree with everything else spot said. You can hear the idiot bottoming the thing out.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Joe, are you working on anything with missing links, integrated SPF30 protection or carbon leaf springs?
the only missing links are the ones I forgot at the bar. I wish there was SPF protection since i'm likely going to die of melanoma, and the only carbon leaf springs I have to sell you are Reserve carbon wheels. Lifetime warranty! Watch the Danny MacAskill video!

My observation generally that even though there are some companies who are "reinventing" the bicycle (and basic mechanism design) with glove compartments, reach-around frames, sliding doodads, there is much less frequency of this garbage. Less trunion & pull shocks, less use of the work "propreitary" as a bragadouchey adjective in press releases, and generally a lot more caution used. The market share in high-end MTB of most of the companies who do that shit has gone down in the last few years.

Many of those companies have pivoted to e-MTB as the next horizon, and have failed to recognize that the market out there is fairly mature, there's a lot of 40+ year old guys who've bought and sold all the bullshit, and now they want a bike that handles well, doesn't break, and isn't full of hyberbole. In some cases, they realize that as annoying as new standards are sometimes, they can be good, but don't need it rammed down their fucking throats.

Some of those companies now are trying to find an "authentic voice", that speaks to the "core mountain bike rider" in a way to find relevance after losing themselves in a forest full of hubris, egos, and the shattered profits as the precious road market craters - and people find out that mountain biking is fucking cool, and you don't need a billboard spando suit to do it in.

anyway, as eMTB will taper off and the gold rush subsides, some will come back and this time, here's hoping they listen to the people who know something because they ride bikes a lot and actually pay for parts sometimes and don't have a mechanic and a sprinter van follow them around the globe taking photos. That might progress the sport by being less amateur, and help progress the big issues like land access, youth racing and high school programs around bikes, and being more accessible generally.

Is that a good enough rant to get this sorry navel gazing thread off its ass?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Many of those companies have pivoted to e-MTB as the next horizon, and have failed to recognize that the market out there is fairly mature, there's a lot of 40+ year old guys who've bought and sold all the bullshit, and now they want a bike that handles well, doesn't break, and isn't full of hyberbole. In some cases, they realize that as annoying as new standards are sometimes, they can be good, but don't need it rammed down their fucking throats.
that's not the market they're after. they're after the dentists, lawyers, MBA managers, etc, basically there's a bottomless pool of wankers with more money than sense. people that have never ridden before, but want to buy their way in.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
"Is this still the Downhill forum...?"

(I think we all knew this meme was inevitable)

YES - this is still the DH Forum.
NO - Hardtails, Dropper Posts, Enduro, Clownbikes, E-Bikes, Category 4 Down-Country, Juggalos.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the only missing links are the ones I forgot at the bar. I wish there was SPF protection since i'm likely going to die of melanoma, and the only carbon leaf springs I have to sell you are Reserve carbon wheels. Lifetime warranty! Watch the Danny MacAskill video!

My observation generally that even though there are some companies who are "reinventing" the bicycle (and basic mechanism design) with glove compartments, reach-around frames, sliding doodads, there is much less frequency of this garbage. Less trunion & pull shocks, less use of the work "propreitary" as a bragadouchey adjective in press releases, and generally a lot more caution used. The market share in high-end MTB of most of the companies who do that shit has gone down in the last few years.

Some of those companies now are trying to find an "authentic voice", that speaks to the "core mountain bike rider" in a way to find relevance after losing themselves in a forest full of hubris, egos, and the shattered profits as the precious road market craters - and people find out that mountain biking is fucking cool, and you don't need a billboard spando suit to do it in.

anyway, as eMTB will taper off and the gold rush subsides, some will come back and this time, here's hoping they listen to the people who know something because they ride bikes a lot and actually pay for parts sometimes and don't have a mechanic and a sprinter van follow them around the globe taking photos. That might progress the sport by being less amateur, and help progress the big issues like land access, youth racing and high school programs around bikes, and being more accessible generally.

Dude. You have said TOO much. :tinfoil:

joeg

Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Are you bitter because you missed on a great opportunity to add the Ellsworth brand to your stable? :brows:
My $1 bid was deviously worked around. The winners said they would give that to them, while we had that in the debt column.
heavily investing in bass boat paint scheme and dragon art R&D right now

joeg

Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
that's not the market they're after. they're after the dentists, lawyers, MBA managers, etc, basically there's a bottomless pool of wankers with more money than sense. people that have never ridden before, but want to buy their way in.
While our tactics may differ, I am also after the dentists, lawyers, MBA managers (whatever that is), and the people who can afford to play this game we love called mountain biking. When I'm into an expensive sport, I look to the core experienced guys who do it and ask for gear recommendations. KTM didn't win the moto market by just being the expensive brand. You don't "buy" your way into a sport, you buy your way into equipment. And equipment makes a difference if you pursue a sport, because if your expensive shit breaks all the time and you don't know how to fix it and your LBS sucks, then you find a different sport.

The whole "dentists" thing is a sentiment that this board could use less of if you want to include more people in the sport. Let the record state that I fucking love dentists (as well as all other $10K bike buyers).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My $1 bid was deviously worked around. The winners said they would give that to them, while we had that in the debt column.
heavily investing in bass boat paint scheme and dragon art R&D right now
I for one welcome bass boat paint schemes..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While our tactics may differ, I am also after the dentists, lawyers, MBA managers (whatever that is), and the people who can afford to play this game we love called mountain biking. When I'm into an expensive sport, I look to the core experienced guys who do it and ask for gear recommendations. KTM didn't win the moto market by just being the expensive brand. You don't "buy" your way into a sport, you buy your way into equipment. And equipment makes a difference if you pursue a sport, because if your expensive shit breaks all the time and you don't know how to fix it and your LBS sucks, then you find a different sport.

The whole "dentists" thing is a sentiment that this board could use less of if you want to include more people in the sport. Let the record state that I fucking love dentists (as well as all other $10K bike buyers).

The perfect bike would hit home with both the dentists who spend $6K on a bike and the hard core bro who is keeping it real and spends $6K on a bike. Of course the hard core bro will not buy the same bike he saw a dentist riding. Ideally you just make two identical bikes with different stickers and underground marketing strategy.

How much development money could you save if you had a common design for a carbon fiber frame for the dentists and a wrought iron frame for the Brooklyn Machine Works fans?

Last edited:

joeg

Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
How much development money could you save if you had a common design for a carbon fiber frame for the dentists and a wrought iron frame for the Brooklyn Machine Works fans?
we'd save dozens to several dozens of dollars, primarily because there is a defined "no market" for wrought iron gearbox lawwill link concentric BB "fan" bikes. The fans you are talking about are USB operated and powered primarily by internet outrage, with a side of bad upbringing :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The whole "dentists" thing is a sentiment that this board could use less of if you want to include more people in the sport.
got it

dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist
dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist dentist

Is it working yet? Are they gone?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
we'd save dozens to several dozens of dollars, primarily because there is a defined "no market" for wrought iron gearbox lawwill link concentric BB "fan" bikes. The fans you are talking about are USB operated and powered primarily by internet outrage, with a side of bad upbringing :)

USB operated? Impressed, I figured a serial interface.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I would say Dark Owl disagrees with you. :D
For the record: I would buy a Superco Silencer in a second. No such feelings about the V10, no matter how big you make the wheels or how often I see GM having a flat in WC race on one. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while that might be great for your bottom line, i'm tired of having to interrupt my rides to close strava cheater lines and dealing with sanitation of trails by people making the trails easier to match their ability instead of becoming better riders.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
while that might be great for your bottom line, i'm tired of having to interrupt my rides to close strava cheater lines and dealing with sanitation of trails by people making the trails easier to match their ability instead of becoming better riders.
Get it and agree but that's a problem with many/all beginners, not just the 'dentist ' crowd.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i honestly don't care if more people get involved in the sport. i ride my bike to get away from most other people. around here, the fewer people that get involved the better as far as i'm concerned. look at the all crap the huge increase in traffic in pisgah proper is causing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a problem with dental things. It's not like if I stop washing my right arm, it'll wither away and just fall out of the socket, but yet if I don't brush my teeth twice a day, my teeth rot and fall out. There's something inherently wrong with this.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Have you ever ridden with a dentist? I have.

If you really want to get into it, dentists have to protect their hands. It's their livelihood (same with surgeons). So no dentist is going to absolutely destroy anything downhill for fear of crashing and being out of work and can't afford their $10k bikes or million dollar home or fake tits for their wife. Oh they will certainly brag about their uphill/climb times. Like a fucking boss. But their DH times are meh at best. And this is the DH forum, right. Fuckem if they can't take a joke.

Granted, where I live a lot of "DH" strava segments include shitty ass climbs. Guess who is usually in the top 10 or 20 in these types of segments? Fucking Dentists. But they're not the ones buying new Nomads or long travel 29er's. They crush the ups on up crushing bikes. And that's about it.

Reminds me of a Big Lebowski quote: "Fucking Quintana [or insert dentist name here]...that creep can roll man."

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

If you really want to get into it, dentists have to protect their hands. It's their livelihood (same with surgeons). So no dentist is going to absolutely destroy anything downhill for fear of crashing and being out of work and can't afford their $10k bikes or million dollar home or fake tits for their wife. Oh they will certainly brag about their uphill/climb times. Like a fucking boss. But their DH times are meh at best. And this is the DH forum, right. Fuckem if they can't take a joke.

Granted, where I live a lot of "DH" strava segments include shitty ass climbs. Guess who is usually in the top 10 or 20 in these types of segments?Fucking Dentists. But they're not the ones buying new Nomads or long travel 29er's. They crush the ups on up crushing bikes. And that's about it.

Reminds me of a Big Lebowski quote: "Fucking Quintana [insert dentist name here]...that creep can roll man."
upload_2018-5-11_11-51-10.jpeg

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Solid contribution :headbang:

I'd just like to say thank you (you as in all the folks at SC) for finally fixing the Nomad leverage ratio and turning it into a mini V10. The gen 4 is one seriously mean machine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Vibrocore?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007