Quantcast

ISIS cranks gettin' loose

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I just put Truvativ ISIS cranks on my SS and have found that I need to stop every couple of miles to tighten the crank bolts. This is my first ISIS experience so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. The cranks appear to be seated properly and the torque on the bolts is correct. Is there a trick to getting these things to stay tight? Locktite?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are the cranks coming loose or just the bolts. If the cranks are coming loose you probably have a defective crank or BB. If it is just the bolts I am sure some locktite would help, just don't get any on the BB interface.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
In my experience, w/o loctite on the bolt threads, most drive-side cranks need a few rides to take a "set" be they square taper, ISIS or otherwise. For the first few rides on new or reinstalled cranks- even with loctite- I always keep the 8mm allen in my camelback to snug up after every run or ride. After they set, though, I rarely ever need to snug 'em up.

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
ive got the same problem right now. It my be a defective BB, but also i have learned that getting the same brand for cranks and BB's will usually work better together.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
After the very first install, you should only have to tighten them once or twice more and that's it. If you have to do so more often, something else is going wrong. Is it possible they weren't installed correctly and not seated in the grooves properly? I've seen people tighten them up when the grooves don't line up and they mangle the crank and after that they always come loose.

I've never used lock tight on any of the bikes I've worked on and never had a problem.

Good luck!