Quantcast

ISP/DSL delivery Q's

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
If I'm having dsl problems ( connection being dropped all the time) How do I check to see who's to blame. I get my high speed DSL from Qwest, but I use an independent ISP, not msn.com or qwest.net.

Qwest did come out and do some work on the box and speed is much improved, commented that underground wires in our area are old, brittle, yadayada.... but even after the service, dsl connection just dies sometimes.

...And what's the deal with ALL tech support always telling you to reboot the modem?

I would like some help in knowing which way to go to look to getting this resolved.

thanks.
gg

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Two questions:

Does rebooting the DSL modem fix the problem every time?

What brand and model of DSL modem is it?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
rebooting does not fix it everytime, and it's a actiontec that I lease from Qworst. ( yes, I know) I just got off the phone and they are going to send me a new one, sure can't hurt.

I mean, I don't mind having to reboot my moden once every three weeks or so, but this is turning into an all day everyday kind of deal, connection getting dropped several times during an hour at times. Inconsistent, too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That was going to be my next suggestion, see if they'll replace it for you :)

Rebooting modems fixes the vast majority of connection problems, which is why they always recommend it.