Quantcast

Issues with Tire blowing off the rim and sending me to the ER.

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
Started running the Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 EXO TR tire on my Intense Carbine with the 2.4 Ardent in the rear and have been loving them. Problem is...my first Minion was defective-torn casing. I mounted it and it was very clearly defective. Went through the warranty process on the website and after three months they replaced it. I specifically chose to run such burly tires because the last two California Enduro Races were going to take place at Northstar and at Mammoth and both have very rocky and very aggressive terrain, terrain that I felt these tires were suited for perfectly, so even though I was carrying a little extra weight around for my local trails, I wanted to be familiar with these tires for my last two races of the season.

I really focused on getting the tire pressures dialed in before the race by running them on my local DH trails in Auburn-very rocky and aggressive terrain as well. After about ten rides I had settled on the front at 25psi and the rear at 30-35psi. Tire pressure worked out great in Northstar and took me to the top step in my class and I never had a single issue with my tires, they kept me safe and fast. Next up was Mammoth and well, long story a little shorter, I got to Mammoth, had four or five runs of practice in the first day and was really looking forward to crushing it. I was feeling prepared, fit, focused and ready to race. The next day, my team showed up and I went out to run practice with them to show them the lines I had researched and tested and as I was taking them down Bullet and showing them the line through the trees at the first rock garden that has a 3 1/2 to 4 foot drop to the right and BOOM! my front tire exploded off the rim and i was ejected over the bars onto my should/neck/head.....brand new Carbon D3 broken, C1 and C2 stressed and a broken collarbone. My practice, my race and my season were over. Not to mention I crashed in front of my team and jacked with their confidence and focus on their first run of the weekend. It was a bummer.

My issue now is...why did the tire blow? What could I possibly have done to prevent this issue from happening? Has anyone had this experience with Maxxis? or any other tires? It's in my head now and I'm pretty bummed. Maxxis said they will replace my tire because it "stretched". It stretched enough to be loose on the rim and come off under stress. How can that be a safe tire? Is there anything to do to prevent this from happening? I really liked this tire and I don't know what to do moving forward. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time,
H

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Did a lawyer help you write this?

Things happen. Maybe 25psi was too low under your chosen race pace, and the line you decided to take, at your particular skill level.

My experience with minions are limited to the 26" models but I've not had a tire blow off a rim ever. (using mavic 819 or 823)

Heal up soon!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At the very least, you didn't break your back/neck/head. Heal up and get back on the bike. :)

Like Nick I've never had a tire come off the rim or blowout like that. Did you have tubes in them?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
what rim?
what rim tape?
what width rim?
Tubeless?
Tubes?
How many times had it been mounted unmounted?
Had it done this before?
How many miles were on it?

details mang.

Never had this happen, haven't seen it happen, only seen a few rears get blown off.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the 29x2.5 minion and have had no problems with it rolling off my nextie rims. Thrashing it at the DH park too. 25psi would definitely be too low for me to ride DH on.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
What condition were your rims in? Tubeless? I've had tires set up tubeless blow off rims that were not in great shape (some dents and flat spots) under hard cornering.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
did you add uncle bens minute rice to your stans?
did you check to make sure stan was in your rim?
what did you have for breakfast?
were you wearing crocs?

Wire bead or no?

NON wire bead (minion DHF 2.5, 28psi) blew off my (stans ztr flow) tubeless rim while creeping down a techy trail in Laguna, maybe ~65%+ grade, sending me into a bush 12 feet down the trail.

I don't know much, but I know tubeless stans <30psi non wire bead minion is a losing setup.

Attachments

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I blew a front tire off a stans rim. Was a Crest with an Ardent. That rim was a mistake and I knew it but was trying for shits/giggles. Let's say them Crest are throw away race rims for weenies.

Either way, under 30psi + Ardent (used on another wheel previously) + Stans Crest = KABOOM

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
I was running the Minion EXO TR Tire, had about 200 miles on it, E13 TRS+ rims, E13 red tape, 3 oz. of Stans in the tire. I had been mounted once and tire pressure was checked every time previous to riding using the same pump every time. I'm really surprised that folks are using 30 plus psi in these tires but maybe that's my deal? Too low of pressure in a DH tire? Didn't know there was such a thing. ;)

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
Wire bead or no?

NON wire bead (minion DHF 2.5, 28psi) blew off my (stans ztr flow) tubeless rim while creeping down a techy trail in Laguna, maybe ~65%+ grade, sending me into a bush 12 feet down the trail.

I don't know much, but I know tubeless stans <30psi non wire bead minion is a losing setup.
Kevlar bead. DH TR tire though. E13 TRS+ rims 25psi

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's nothing inherently wrong with folding beads and tubeless.
Been doing it for years with probably over 100 tires at this point.

There are just some bad tire/rim combos. That's why I asked about stans rims. They ironically are some of the worst to run tubeless with some brands of tire.

NorCalHub

Chimp
Apr 8, 2015
Roseville
My only guess is that the tire's sidewalls were super fatigued from the Northstar race two weeks prior. The tread was good and the tire looked fine. I didn't notice any burping or weepage and had no performance changes at all before th tire blew off the rim...that's why it's so perplexing. Lot's of attention to details and still having this issue. Bummer for sure