Quantcast

It is that time of the year again. Copper River salmon!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Now I need to find a recipe to do it justice. Here is what I normally do, but I am thinking of trying something different. I smoke the whole thing over chunk charcoal and hickory wood.

Dry Rub

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup non-iodized table salt
3 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
3 tablespoons granulated onion
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
1 tablespoon dried savory
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
Place the salmon flesh-side up on a non-reactive platter or in a glass baking dish. Pour all of the rub over the salmon and spread it evenly over the surface, about 1/4" thick.

Move the salmon into the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.

Next, rinse the fillet thoroughly under cold running water to remove all the salt and sugar. Pat all surfaces dry with paper towels.

Place the fillet flesh-side up on a clean platter or sheet pan and let it dry until tacky, about 30 minutes. This tackiness is known as "pellicle". It is the result of water-soluble proteins drawn to the surface of the fish by the rub that dry to create a sticky layer. This layer prevents moisture loss and attracts and holds smoke particles during cooking.
Finishing Rub

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon dried savory
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
Sprinkle on the finishing rub on all surfaces except the skin side. This rub is sweet, so adjust the amount used according to your taste. The Cardogs suggest applying twice the amount you would if you were applying heavy salt and pepper to meat.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I read that since some of the rivers are still frozen up there, the fish can't get up river so the market price is around $30/lb.

Have you seen prices like that up there?