Quantcast

italian gearbox

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
this makes my strep throat feel so much better.

I'm going to go crawl in a hole now.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
cool!! could you give a breif explanation on how you can end up with different gears? seems to me that all the gears would be the same?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Think of it like a regular bike. Larger on the front and smaller on the back = harder combo.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
does it have some sort of chain-tensioner hidden behind it (in the video)?

I like it- except for the fact that the chain will be running a little slow= slow shifting--especially when you are in the 11t on the bb side cassette.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Looks great, if I were to build a cog box, I'd start somewhere around there. Too bad Honda has a pretty significant amount of IP pending regarding fiber reinforced gearbox enclosures for bikes.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Are they going to try to patent aluminum, titanium, magnesium, steel, stainless-steel, and wood as well?? There has to be someone somewhere who has used some sort of fiber reinforcement for a gear enclosure (prior art)?
What about BCDs original gear box?

What some people try to call "IP" gets pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Am I out in left field on this?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
simple solution that i like but id tend to think from the gear range this setup has, that it isnt meant much as a dh system, too many gears and too big difference (probably close to 4:1). besides, the size of it means you have to use some pretty wild main pivot location.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Carbon fiber has been used for gear enclosures before- in Formula 1 cars and even motorcycles. Don't think it's ever been used in bikes.....

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweet.
Question- How come these all use twist shifters? Why can't a trigger style shifter be used? Or can it and I missed that thread?
Annoying isn't it? I suspect it's partly because it's easier to design a twist shifter to operate the push-pull twin cable system many of these things run, but also maybe because just about every permutation of trigger shifter has been patented by either Sram or Shimano, leaving everyone else struggling to figure out something different. Just a thought.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Can't seem to view that.
Is it a double inverted cluster like Ritchie from NZ's been running.

Edit:
Guess it is

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are they going to try to patent aluminum, titanium, magnesium, steel, stainless-steel, and wood as well?? There has to be someone somewhere who has used some sort of fiber reinforcement for a gear enclosure (prior art)?

It's a tough call. Sometimes it gets out of hand, but sometimes people put huge amounts of time and effort into projects hoping to merely recoup their investments and advance the technology, only to have someone come along and rip it off. And rip it off poorly to boot, which hurts the reputation of the product. Sure, some people want to make boatloads of money - it's still not clear what Honda wants to do - but that's not always what it's about.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Annoying isn't it? I suspect it's partly because it's easier to design a twist shifter to operate the push-pull twin cable system many of these things run, but also maybe because just about every permutation of trigger shifter has been patented by either Sram or Shimano, leaving everyone else struggling to figure out something different. Just a thought.
Hmmm. Well, to use a trigger you'd need the mechanism to be spring-loaded like a rear der., and things are already pretty complicated in there. I imagine it could be done - BCD always seems ahead of the curve so maybe he's on it. If you could do that, I wonder if you could just sell the box and make it compatible across SRAM and Shimano cassettes and shifters, just like selling rear hubs or whatever. It's not clear to me if they are using standard freehub bodies in there or what, but I don't think selling a box compatible with existing drivetrain stuff would create any patent issues - in fact that would seem like an ideal way to go.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's the longest shifter I've ever seen. I don't like steering, braking or lifting the front end of my bike up much anyways, so I guess that's cool.

Longer than even the halfpipe, me thinks. At least you could make braaaap sounds when you twist it.

I still wish people would get away from the "massive amount of junk near the BB" idea. It limits suspension design, and that's a big deal IMO.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No kidding. Maybe they could put it on the rear wheel. :lighten:

:monkeydance:
I'm guessing you're joking there,reducing the rear wheels unsprung weight and having the gearbox weight low and a high pivot location are all the best bennefits you could gain from a gearbox,followed by shifting bennefits.I think it's a great step forward with what appears to be a sound logical design that's hopefully reliable. In the video the chain and therefore cassettes seem to be under alot of load and therefore shortly lived but I gues that's not that big a deal and they may have been changing lots of gears for effect and I guess you normally would only be changing one or two gears at a time.
I hope they can produce it to the mainstream market.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that was sarcasm.

I just mean why build a gear "box" that is enormous and requires you to change your entire frame design to use it? That's my problem with the gboxx standard...creative frame design is severly limited.

Low mass centralization and a compact CoG is ideal, and these designs do that well, but I'd love to see something that's not so large...like the rohloff/lahar setup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i'd love to see a wood gear box :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

would they have to call it a gear crate then? :busted:

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Looks like a neat system. Petespeed was still a superior system for downhill IMO. Not as large gear jumps (although that could be varied with cassette size in the italian model) and probably les weight (only one, smaller cassette in petespeed). Nice to see new companies puching the envelope though.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
that is sweet, but imagine after 3months hard riding when you go to change your two XTR clusters you have in their so the weight isnt 1 billion kilograms... makes for expensive. wont wear at as fast as its in a sealed unit, but still gonna wear, and be expensive when it does.
pretty sweet vid. cool idea.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Can't seem to view that.
Is it a double inverted cluster like Ritchie from NZ's been running.

Edit:
Guess it is
I saw Ritchie's bike the other day, while out riding.
Its...........ah..........interesting?:shocked:
It does seem to work ok though.

Cool idea, hope it works out, could give us riders/ buyers another option if it does, which cant be all bad.

Ridge Rider

Chimp
Nov 11, 2005
Looks like 11-28 clusters or thereabouts.
That means a 650% range.
In steps of 20% increase.

Rohloff runs 500% in 13% steps. Sounds pretty able-bodied to me.
For downhill, many racers are running a road cassette 11-23 = 209% range.

You could build one of these with an 11-17 7 speed on both sides which would have 239% range in approximately 15% steps and would be much smaller and lighter than the one shown.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
For downhill, many racers are running a road cassette 11-23 = 209% range.

You could build one of these with an 11-17 7 speed on both sides which would have 239% range in approximately 15% steps and would be much smaller and lighter than the one shown.
actually that'd give you a 13 speed with 6- 9% changes. Not very appropriate for DH where the ideal gap would be about 20%.
I'd be looking at a 6 speed with 3 at the bottom and 4 at the top and a 250% range.
These systems have some potential due to no need to move either cluster and minimal chain length changes making a compact single jockey derailier possible. the best settup would be to have the clusters offset so ones cogs are between the others. This should allow shifting to alternate between top and bottom as long as the right stiffness and jockey sideplay are built into the shifter carriage. Shifting top and bottom simultaneously is clumsy. Provided smooth shifting of the "front der" part is achievable these could prove the best derinbox design.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
What are you running BCD?

well i was doing 12-19 - tooth profiles cut down for quick shifts.
but i never got it to shift as fast as i wanted.

now with his patents its in the trash.

i think 29 wheels will progress DH far FAR FAR more!

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006

can't see patents holding water. Other than a few details perhaps. All been done lots of times dating back up to a century so priors and obviousness. If they hassle you say " fine, I'll pay you a licence fee for any details of your design I've copied. Or we go to court and you lose your patent due to priors and obviousness. "

Ridge Rider

Chimp
Nov 11, 2005
actually that'd give you a 13 speed with 6- 9% changes. Not very appropriate for DH where the ideal gap would be about 20%.
I'd be looking at a 6 speed with 3 at the bottom and 4 at the top and a 250% range.
These systems have some potential due to no need to move either cluster and minimal chain length changes making a compact single jockey derailier possible. the best settup would be to have the clusters offset so ones cogs are between the others. This should allow shifting to alternate between top and bottom as long as the right stiffness and jockey sideplay are built into the shifter carriage. Shifting top and bottom simultaneously is clumsy. Provided smooth shifting of the "front der" part is achievable these could prove the best derinbox design.
I am talking about a 7 sprocket cluster on both ends, each 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17. The system mates one sprocket on one cluster with the inline sprocket on the other cluster only. This will result in 239% range in 7 gears with approximately 15% steps. An 11 tooth at the crank may not take the torque so one might have to start at 13 teeth.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada

No way!! Don't ditch it. You had a diab what, almost 10 years ago? If anyone has prior art... Don't let this slow you down at all.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

One option here would be to just make a gearbox that is compatible with a shimano/sram shifter, and not try to re-make the shifter.

What I'm surprised by though is Rohloff, and that they've not further developed the speedhub yet. I mean that thing is the shiznit, with a couple of glitches, but has been around 10 years or so - you'd think by now they'd have solved the glitches, and made it into a frame-centric solution?

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
I am talking about a 7 sprocket cluster on both ends, each 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17. The system mates one sprocket on one cluster with the inline sprocket on the other cluster only. This will result in 239% range in 7 gears with approximately 15% steps. An 11 tooth at the crank may not take the torque so one might have to start at 13 teeth.
I'm just not sure why you'd want to use twice as many sprockets and require both ends to shift simultaneously for the same range and steps as a one at a time rig.
I guess the front shifting may be a little better if the ratios are tight, but generally shifting both at once would seem likely to eliminate this advantage.
I'm sure you could use a standard shifter with a leverage multiplier at the business end. That Italian one seems to have alternating cogs. Is it a 21 speed or an 11?
BCD you were a gearbox pioneer in the late 90's but gave it away for the area suspension diversion . With things like over 80% of poll respondants saying they would prefer to buy a gearbox bike on Farkin.net recently you should not be chucking gearboxes in favour of big wheels. Big wheels are good but if you lose some swingarm angle the tradeoffs on big bump performance, pedalling and braking may lose their advantage. By all means do both, but don't walk away from the real performance and reliability gains of gearbox layout.

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Richie has been running a similar arrangement for a couple of years now. Had to get rid of the smaller sprockets on the primary drive as they were eating chains and gears.

Attachments