Quantcast

Itegrated HS X post...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Sorry but I normally dont post much out of the lounge so I posted this in there first just by instinct... so here it is:

The little guy has been acting a little stiff lately so I took it apart. its an FSA BTW.

I have had HS's on numerous bike but this is my first integrated one. I've had King, CC, WTB, and Generic... all of them had dust covers on the bottom by the fork that protected the bearings. This Integrated thing doesnt... is that strange?

It's set up just like any other on top... under the stem is a dust cover with a nice little rubber seal... below that is a shim looking thing (shaped just like the race), then the bearing, the the cup (which is part of the frame)...

On the other side of the Head tube is the bearing and then the race and thats it. The bearing was covered with funk and grit and was barely turning. I cleaned it out and booyah. Working again. But no dust cover? WTF? What if I rode regularly in the rain, that thing would be screwed. Is there a part missing?

BTW the race is unlike ano other I have seen also... It has a little cut in it to help it expand... you can slide it against the crown by hand, that is a new one for me... anyone seen this before?