Quantcast

It's a long ways down

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mountain-713309-biker-laguna.html

A male mountain biker who fell off a Laguna Beach trail and tumbled 200 feet on Friday afternoon was in critical condition when rescuers reached him later that day, authorities said Saturday.

A man called 911 around 4 p.m. to report that a male friend in his 50s was trapped near the Telonics mountain bike trail in the 2800 block of Laguna Canyon Road, said Sgt. Tim Kleiser of the Laguna Beach Police Department.

The unidentified man rode his bike and fell from the trail into an area where he couldn’t climb up, according to Kleiser.

It took about an hour for rescuers to reach the man due to the location, “treacherous terrain” and falling rocks, said Steve Concialdi, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority. When authorities reached the mountain biker, he was treated and stabilized before being hoisted into a helicopter around 6:40 p.m., officials said.

The fire authority and Laguna Beach fire officials took part in the rescue.

The mountain biker, who likely suffered some fractures and internal injuries, was taken to the Orange County Global Medical Center in Santa Ana in critical condition, as of Friday evening, Concialdi said.

Fortunately, the biker was wearing a helmet and thick vegetation absorbed his fall, Concialdi added.

Sep 11, 2015
Dang.

I've only been to Telonics once, but I recall being pretty surprised at some of the riders/rigs I saw out there. Lots of old guys on old hardtails. I wondered how many people broke themselves off up there. At least one, I guess.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I figured it out, no compelling reason to fall off the side there. What did Fairclough do on it? Not a lot of creative options. Except the far far right line.
You probably do a quick little double and soak up there.......seems like that's kind of the standard. About another few bike lengths he was yanking to triple and then rear wheel drag down what's not really a landing. Just kind of a commitment thing. I just remember stopping to look at it and noticing there was bigass cliff to the right if you happen to royally fuck it up and fall to the right. I'm just assuming that's where he went off. Definitely a bad spot.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yep, look at the pan at the end of the video. It looks like he messed up the exit of that section and went straight over right there.

The line Kidwoo is referring to is just a long rockslab-to-rockslab jump. Steep short rock lip, steep short rock landing 25ft or so down the same slab. A few bike lengths further you roll down a steep exit from the rockslab onto singletrack. Probably a 6ft roller or so, and you're generally going fast at this point. When you hit dirt at the bottom you have to angle a bit to the left. If you don't..........massive. fucking. cliff. Literally only a foot or two away from the edge of the singletrack.

XC guy from the looks of it, so probably wasn't sending the WC rider gap and just aimed wrong at the end of the slab or got crossed up or nose wheelied the roller and went off. Very easy to do with a novice rider with a touch too much speed there.

Personally, I don't even ride that damn trail when I'm there anymore. It's faster than hell, it's REALLY dangerous with hikers floating around on it (especially in the section discussed here), and there are really only a couple of corners, preceded by hundreds of braking bumps. Most of it is just beating the crap out of your wheels for no reason. There are steeper, twistier, and more "interesting" trails very close-by.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
About this time last year was riding with a buddy up some steep switchbacked trails. There used to be a few steep off camber stream crossings that were a bit sketchy as it was easy to lose traction and get chucked down the side of the mountain. In the past few years such things have been benched in with tight yet easily navigated section of trails. Anyway, my normally talented friend got spooked and tried putting his downhill side foot down. He slipped and essentially fell of the mountain. He was kind of lucky to do almost a full rotation before hitting ground. Instead of landing on his head he got some bruised ribs and a twisted ankle. Lucky SOB as he fell over 20 feet before hitting solid ground.

I replayed the event over and over in my head wondering how the hell my friend could have a problem on a trail that was so easy. A few months later he was diagnosed with advanced Parkinson's. Pretty sure that was to blame.

It really sucks to see him degrade. He realizes he is a danger to himself on a bike. He sold all of his riding stuff and bought golf clubs. :(

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just fired up Google Earth. Fuck me, I never realized quite how far down it is there.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes. The front rider is at the top of the roller that I mentioned. The back rider is at the takeoff of the rockslab gap.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Aw man piss off!

I'm never going to be able to ride that trail comfortably again. That's way gnarlier looking than just looking over the side of what I thought was just a really short section of that trail.

Why did you have to do that???? :rofl:
Safety third !!!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm not entirely sure where does beer fit in that list, but it's missing. Tacit mentions don't do justice.
According to the International Safety Handbook, beer and herbal remedies are to be consumed during Safety Breaks at intervals of approximately one to three hours depending on the length of the activity. This has been statistically proven to keep you feelin good.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
According to the International Safety Handbook, beer and herbal remedies are to be consumed during Safety Breaks at intervals of approximately one to three hours depending on the length of the activity. This has been statistically proven to keep you feelin good.

Dude, that is an outdated standard, be careful!

Safety Meetings 2.1: Safety breaks at intervals of 15 minutes, or every wreck, or every flat. Whichever comes first.
Not to exceed 5 safety meeting in one hour. **
If "product testing" a minimum of 2 meeting must take place prior to the start of the ride.

**Waiver for Santa Cruz County, unlimited safety meetings allowed due to environmental hazards such as hippies and the homeless.