Quantcast

It's official, Steamboat ski area sucks ass!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Not that this mountain ever had anything good to offer in the way of DH anyway, it officially sucks donkey balls now. The powers that be removed the no big bike rule for one month at the end of last summer which made the local FR/DH boys and girls very happy. There was no incident, no one got ran off the trail, no one got hurt, not one incident. So what do they do for this season (today being the first day), they bring back the < 35lbs, 2 chain ring & frt der, and no more than 6" travel rule (very Big Bear esq) and shut it down to bigger bikes again. True, there is a lack of a dedicated DH/FR trail(s). But, the local FR/DHers offered to do all the work on a volunteer basis (reads no money at all) to build DH specific trails and was promptly denied sighting, "They don't know what the hell they're doing." Just a FYI, amongst the guys who offered was a guy named Ariea Kopa who built Sandy-land (if any of you come up to do some trail and/or XC riding, make a point to ride in Sandy-land). Sandy-land is a private trail on private property owned by a couple who also ride. They invite everyone to ride it, just so long as you don't be an idiot. Anyway, I digress. Contrary to their no "big bikes" policy, they had a DH race at the ski area last year (most of the local DH guys boycotted that race), on of all trails a hill climb trail...wtf!
So, with this kind of double standards in mind, I like to propose that everyone boycott Steamboat ski area for DH, trail and XC on the basis of management being complete fvcking idiots w/ total lack of foresight and imagination. Chief principle of this management team is John Conkee who heads up the summer mtn biking program on the mountain. Please feel free to call him at 970-879-6111 and ask for him by name.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
the article basically says that ski resorts are slow to adapt to DH/FR biking. Then goes on to talk about Silverton Mtn. added 9 new runs, adding more.....wants to be the best in CO etc... Also has a photo of a v10 and discusses what makes a DH bike a DH bike. kinda lame. If the g/f comes back, and I remember, I'll scan the article.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
fuzzynutz said:
the article basically says that ski resorts are slow to adapt to DH/FR biking. Then goes on to talk about Silverton Mtn. added 9 new runs, adding more.....wants to be the best in CO etc... Also has a photo of a v10 and discusses what makes a DH bike a DH bike. kinda lame. If the g/f comes back, and I remember, I'll scan the article.
You know why they're slow to adapt the ski area to new toys... 'cause usually the ppl in management level at these resorts are fat cat crotchety old bastards w/ no vision! Hell, when free labor presents itself and you can make use of the trails they (us, the local DH boys) offer to build to attract an event which will put even more money in their fat little grubby hands, and they turn it (us) away.... :nuts: Friggin' myopic dumb fvcks! :eviltongu And, I can't post stuff that criticizes the management of the mountain in the local paper because the local paper is in cahoots w/ the ski area.
I applaude Silverton. The have a sick sick winter program and now trying to get thier summer to be the best in CO...man! I'll tell ya, if there's jobs anywhere near there after I get out of Mines, it'd be a very difficult pick between Whistler and there (I'm Canuckian).

Oh, thanx in advance for the scan. I'd be interested in the read.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Steamboat! Get your head outta your @$$!!

Consider them to be blacklisted until they change their rule. It's a shame, cuz their mtn has such great potential! Valley View is one sweet tasting singletrack!

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
You're right; Steamboat has its issues. But you know, its simple, I just don't go there... period.

Vail Resorts is starting to come around. With Vail and Keystone being 'Okay' for the most part, they'll eventually realize that there is economic potential that goes with the biking crowd.

Part of the problem is USFS. With their environmental studies that need to take place constantly, trail building and acceptance will continue at a slow pace. We can throw up a road anywhere, but we can't throw in a mtn bike trail.... doesn't quite make sense to me either.

I love downhilling. I'm one of the few peep's on the front range that will ride my 43lb tank up the hill to seek out a short techy section that is best suited for downhill. I carry all the pads, armor, full-face crap up with me, and then head down (not bomb down, but go down hill none-the-less).

As for Steamboat, the decision is simple. Economics and time will dictate if they get it. Remember snow boarding? That took many years to accept, everyone thought that boarders were idiots and belonged in the ghetto. Well, it proved that the loss of revenue to each resort that banned them was significant enough to start allowing them.

I believe the same will happen with mtn bikes and these resorts.... just give it time.

btw... FVCK steamboat.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ascentrek said:
On the contrary, Front Range has tons of Downhilling... you just gotta peddle it to the top!
Yeah - but what of it is real "DH" type trail? I always figured that DH terrain was something that you wouldn't ride on a XC bike.

And I can't think of anything like that on the Front Range. :D

EATYOURFACE

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
fort collins, colorado
I was at steamboat this week for the town challenge, i stopped by the mountain to see what kind of trails they had, and the guy running the lift said that they are not big on down hill bikes but they would let us ride anyways(we didnt because of the price and lack of dh trails), he also said they may be looking into building some dh trails there in the future. You locals should get in on that, steamboat is a great town and id love to ride some dh next time im out there.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - but what of it is real "DH" type trail? I always figured that DH terrain was something that you wouldn't ride on a XC bike.

And I can't think of anything like that on the Front Range. :D
Most of the stuff on the front range that is hard, is usually ridden around by the XC'rs. If those ghay boys can't aunty up and ride down the hard stuff, they should walk it, or go ride on a road.... but NOT create new, easier trails, or widen the ones that are their because they can't handle it.

Besides, you could ride all of the DH trails at Keystone. There's nothing there that's any harder than some of our front range rides. Hell, there's more DH Technical terrain in White Ranch than in Keysone.

One of the few DH trails I've been on that you can't take a XC bike on, was Flying Monkey in Virgin, Utah. That thing dam near gobbled up a Specialized Enduro. And my Bullit with a 7 inch travel fork was the bare minimum.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
EATYOURFACE said:
I was at steamboat this week for the town challenge, i stopped by the mountain to see what kind of trails they had, and the guy running the lift said that they are not big on down hill bikes but they would let us ride anyways(we didnt because of the price and lack of dh trails), he also said they may be looking into building some dh trails there in the future. You locals should get in on that, steamboat is a great town and id love to ride some dh next time im out there.
The guy is blowing sunshine up your ass w/ "in the future". Check my original post on the "getting in on that" idea.
That's it, I'm getting pissed again! I'm fwd the link of this thread to their e-mail addy.
Eat, sorry man, didn't mean to get all pissy at you. If you're up here, try and do a shuttle run and get in the Fish Creek downhill. Go up Buffalo Pass to Summit Lake parking. XC it to Long Lake, bang a right and head towards town. Total down is 7 miles and will take you about 1.5 hours to get down. The top part is pretty mellow. The bottom 4 miles will take you an hour to finish. It's not fast, but soooo friggin' sweet! It's the best DH around town unless you feel like poachin' Silvercreek Wilderness Area (disclaimer: I've never done it and if you're caught, you'll loose your bike).

Edit: This was sent to info@steamboat.com
Subject: Hey, whoever screens the mail should pass this up to management!

"Check out this link (attached a link to this thread). It's a mountain bike specific forum w/ a thread about Steamboat Ski Area in the Colorado Locals forum. People friggin' HATE the ski area's DH policy!"