Quantcast

iTunes

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just redid my computer and reinstalled iTunes. I uploaded about 400 songs. Sometimes, the songs skip. SOmetimes the quality goes to hell and it has a static/distorted sound; I have to pause and play it, then it is fine.

Can someone tell me why this happens? And how to fix it?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
whats your computer, whats the harddrive it runnign from, how old and such...
details man!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My dad helped my redo it. copied all my files onta giga bank (storage thing), formatted/restored the computer with the cd it came with. Then put the files on and reionstalled things.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't do Windows, but make sure you have the latest system updates from Microsoft. I think they have a security patch every four minutes... :rolleyes:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
First mistake you made was reformatting with the disc that Dell gave you. They load it up with so much unnecessary sh!t its unbelievable. If you are going off to college there is a good chance your school will offer you a discounted copy of XP. My school was giving out XP along with Office for 5 bucks each. Pick up one of those and reformat with that fresh copy. As far as the issues with the songs, I would try downloading another media player, such as Winamp, and seeing if the same issues you are experiencing in iTunes occur in the other program as well. If so you can attribute it to the song, if not, its iTunes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mtnbrider said:
oh he didn't use the disc. He used something that was on the computer.
oh, i forgot: pc manufacturers are too cheap to provide discs anymore, so they have lame "recovery partitions."

:nuts:

uh, anyway, to address the original point: that shouldn't happen. and my bet is that it's not itunes' fault.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Its not the speakers because I tried my altec lansing speakers and the laptop speaker and it happens still. NOw it doesn't nearly as much.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Go into your Control Panel and open up Sounds and Multimedia Properties. Under the Audio tab, check to see if there are multiple Sound Playback devices under the Preferred Device dropdown. If so, select a different device and see if it your problem persists.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm using itunes to listen to internet radio at work. If I'm crunching numbers and writing a lot of data to the hard drive it goes crazy. I've got a pretty smokin' machine. I'm guessing its windows.