Quantcast

jacked up parts

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
What problems have you guys had with bikes?

My 00' GT agressor 1.0 at present time:

1). Bent derailure hangers

2). D-hanger bent so bad that Derailure got stuck onto a spoke while I was riding (I wasn't riding fast thank goodness!)

3). 3 to 4 bent sections on rear wheel (planning to upgrade to Rhyno lites/rhyno lite xl)

4). Bent crankset

5). Bent cassette (either that or my rear hub is messed up)

6). Trashed my unreliable judy tt forks (something broke inside...therefore no travel)

7). Gouged my chainstay on cement platform (bad hop)

8). Chunk of seat is missing :|

That's it

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by mutasmurf
What problems have you guys had with bikes?

My 00' GT agressor 1.0 at present time:

1). Bent derailure hangers

2). D-hanger bent so bad that Derailure got stuck onto a spoke while I was riding (I wasn't riding fast thank goodness!)

3). 3 to 4 bent sections on rear wheel (planning to upgrade to Rhyno lites/rhyno lite xl)

4). Bent crankset

5). Bent cassette (either that or my rear hub is messed up)

6). Trashed my unreliable judy tt forks (something broke inside...therefore no travel)

7). Gouged my chainstay on cement platform (bad hop)

8). Chunk of seat is missing :|
That's it
#1 = normal replace
#2 = happens after #1
#3 = wheel will eventually get un-true
#4 = bent crank can happen....what kind....are you ruff on them?
#5 = Bent axle I would suspect if you bent your cranks
#6 = hmmm dissassemble fork and inspect......simple fork.....simple fix.....but big crash I suspect causing #1/2/3/4/5/6 ;)
#7 = yep you messed up .....happens
#8 = Normal happens to every seat.

RIDE ON! :D

Where in WA?

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
Hah...that could be one HELL of a long list for me.....Starting from the top: Bent steel fork 40 degrees back, cracked deraileur pulleys, ripped deraileur in 3, broken shifters, deraileur hanger, tacoed wheels (hey i'm on R-L XL's right now too), 2 sets of busted cranks, 30+ innertubes.... ripped tioga sidewall, huge hole in tioga tire from hopping on logs, oh come on I know i've done more than this....oh, god, many broken chains, broken chainring, multiple bent chainrings (even though I have a Ring God), 2 cracked helmets, yeah ripped up saddle, blown fork, the usual.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Like you are overriding what the bike is capable and was built/engineered to withstand. An Avalance is an entry level frame with cheap/lowend compnents that is not meant for freeride or urban assault. Plus, breaking the cheap stuff is cool cause you get to upgrade to some yummier lighter parts! I would also be on the lookout for a beefier HT fram if I were you and try a Manitou Psylo for a fork.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
And I can take a huffy at speed on any downhill course but I guarantee my GT will last longer. I am not saying you need a purpose built free ride or urban ass bike but a bike is priced cheaply usualll due to what is spec'd on it and what it is made of. I can't break my Richochet, it's 3 years old, light and great. I love GT but an agressor frame is not built to withstand that punishment that a skilled rider doing drops can hand out.

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by gtbike
Like you are overriding what the bike is capable and was built/engineered to withstand. An Avalance is an entry level frame with cheap/lowend compnents that is not meant for freeride or urban assault. Plus, breaking the cheap stuff is cool cause you get to upgrade to some yummier lighter parts! I would also be on the lookout for a beefier HT fram if I were you and try a Manitou Psylo for a fork.
For clarification, it's a Agressor, the Avalanche isn't an entry level frame and the Psylo is made by RS. But yes, the Agressor wasn't meant for such abuse. My first MTB was an Agressor back in 1997 I think. The components didn't last long with the abuse I was throwing at it.

My Agressor is now a ss commuter. :)

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by kitchenware

For clarification, it's a Agressor, the Avalanche isn't an entry level frame and the Psylo is made by RS. But yes, the Agressor wasn't meant for such abuse. My first MTB was an Agressor back in 1997 I think. The components didn't last long with the abuse I was throwing at it.

My Agressor is now a ss commuter. :)

Attachments

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
So far my Agressor 1.0 is holding up pretty well...I do alot of urban, and so far it's been good (except when i first got it and didn't know what i was doing). I do 4ft to flat every once in-a-while, but i doubt i can do it for an extended period of time. The biggest problem for me is the rims however...they suck @ss. Anyways, it's a good beginner bike, and decent enough for urban. I will ride this thing until it is unsalvagable...and then it will be time to switch over to something more rugged.