Quantcast

Jaco Pastoreus...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I know there are a select few :monkey:s that like jazz out there. Here is a link to an mp3 of a demo that some friends of mine made. This is 1 of 7 songs from the demo. I sat in on Congas on this particular song... "The Chicken" originally written by Jaco Pastoreus :thumb:

J

JRB

This is the "chicken" that dh girlie referred to a while back??? I can play that dude.

J

JRB

That was not the chicken song. :mumble: I have been duped.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Jaco was an enigma. As a bass player myself, I've studied his stuff and came to the conclusion that it just boiled down to the fact that he was mentally not getting that elevator to all floors. He was incredibly talented, and it's a shame that the drugs and psychosis ruined a promising career-----"Teen Town"......that's a good one to start with for any Jaco primer.

Good job, golgi. Glad you brung him up. Gonna have to have a toke and a listen again. :thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Greyhound said:
Jaco was an enigma. As a bass player myself, I've studied his stuff and came to the conclusion that it just boiled down to the fact that he was mentally not getting that elevator to all floors. He was incredibly talented, and it's a shame that the drugs and psychosis ruined a promising career-----"Teen Town"......that's a good one to start with for any Jaco primer.

Good job, golgi. Glad you brung him up. Gonna have to have a toke and a listen again. :thumb:
Thanks man... BTW, I believe a laceration to the head is what brought about Jaco's demise. However, I'm sure in a coked up rage he started the bar fight brought about the blow to the head.

NOTE: The bass player for Harmonius Monk (the band I'm playing with in the recording) plays a big fatty Warwick Fretless through a Gallian Kruger rig ... its a very Jaco sounding package.

By the way, you mentioned "Teen Town"... Currently the bass player for this band is perfecting "Okonkole Y Trompa" without loops. Its played on top of a 3 conga Abaqua rhythm which IMHO sounds better than the original. I remember when I first heard him do Continuum I gave him props and he turned around and said it was really easy to do. They also cover birdland BTW which is a pain in the arse.