Quantcast

Jalapeno Poppers

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Any of you guys make your own Jalapeno Poppers? I had a bumper crop of jalapeno's this year, so I thought I would try and make some poppers at home. After several attempts where the batter wouldn't stick to the peppers, I finally tried something different where the batter came out perfect. The Medium Hot Seasoned Breading House-Autry was the only one at the grocery store that said it would work on vegtables. The only problem now is the batter sticks to the bottom of the fryer basket, and rips off when you take them out. I'm looking for some suggestions. PNJ? Lord Opie? Anyone? :confused:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
How are you putting them in? You should have the basket fully submerged then and only then lower them in slowly. Use tongs if you're worried about splatters. They should float and never come in contact with the basket.

Man am I jonesing for good jalepeno poppers, the store deli's always use gringo jalepenos...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Thanks. Makes perfect sense to put them straight into the oil.

Man am I jonesing for good jalepeno poppers, the store deli's always use gringo jalepenos...
Ever grow your own peppers? I live in an apartment, and grow them in pots. They do suprising well. Nothing like fresh picked jalapeno's. :heart:

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
any tips for growing them inside? I'm a college student and would love to grow some peppers in my room. where can I learn about growing these guys?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't do them in a fryer or with batter so I don't have any suggestions for you there. but what Tenchiro said sounds right.

I do mine on the grill, wrapped with bacon.

I cut them lengthwise, scrape the innards out, stuff them with herbed goat cheese and wrap a piece of thin bacon around them. I use a toothpick to hold the bacon and cook them on a cooler spot on the grill so the cheese doesn't leak out before the bacon is cooked.

as for growing my own, in years past we did them in buckets and always got a ton. this year, in a new location, my jalapeno plant got one foot tall and got one small pepper that was eatin by a creature of some sort. (racoon maybe?) and the habanero plant, which should have been huge, got less then a foot high and had no peppers. :(

Peppers love heat, as in lots of sun, and our back yard was over 100 degrees on many days. that's really really hot for this part of the country. I have no idea why my plants did so poorly this year.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
any tips for growing them inside? I'm a college student and would love to grow some peppers in my room.
I have never tried growing them inside during the winter. As PNJ said, they like heat and sun. The only reason I have them inside now is overnight it has been <40 degrees. If you are going to try and grow them inside, it may work, but you will need growing lamps or better yet a green house.
Linky1
Linky2

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Growing chilis indoors is easy...as long as ya use the right plants. I have found that the Thai dragons are the best. The plants stay rather small and put out ALOT of chilis for a very long time. Your basic 4 foot 2 tube shop light with plant bulbs work great. Just set it up so you can keep the light an inch or so from the top of the plants. I know ya cant make poppers out of thais...too small...But they pack a real good punch and have alot of flavor as well. Habs also grow well indoors. Remember to hit 'em with salts when they start to fruit. This will give you a better, hotter crop!