Quantcast

Japanese Gulch

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yup. Joel's right.
An area sorta under the radar for some wierd reason. Been around for almost 10 years now. Probably 14-16 miles of trail in there off the North approach to Paine Field(Boeing Everett).
Check out the usuals on mtbr/dirtworld and skim throught he juvenile smack talk to get the information you seek.
Pretty full of nettles this time of year unless someone got out and whacked 'em back.

Good times though. Especially for us Northenders. Oly, not sure if it'd be worth teh drive for you. Ev247, I hope you find someone.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i went up there 2 years ago and there were a couple drops, but nothing too spectacular. is there stuf built up there? I've heard that there have been ladders and that sort of thing too.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I know riding was banned there last year...probably due to all of the stunts and north Shore style rides. I really dont think land owners have a problem with riders, its just when things are built do they start having concern. Its a fun place to ride and I have not been there for some time.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I was in there with the XC bike 2 weeks ago. Lots of riding going on. The stunt activity is one of the problems the Gulch has suffered from, also one of the start (entrance) points is a culdasac in a residential neighborhood. Seems some riders like to talk to loud and abusively and play loud and abusive music while in the area. I have been riding in J-Gulch for about 6 years and have never had a problem personaly however I have seen the attitude of some riders who seem to forget they are in somebody elses nieghborhood. The same attitudes that think they can build on any unused dirt they find and get indigant when they get themselve and everyone booted out. One example of not being too bright were the individuals who a couple of years ago thought it was a cool to build ramps next to the railroad track leading up to the Boeing plant. That actually caused some tickets to be issued, not to the people doing the jumping but to a few who were just passing by to get from one side of the Gulch to the other. Nice trails, just ride them if you go there, don't build there and most of all be respectful and appriciate the grace of being allowed to ride in someone elses backyard.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
So, you must know Mr. Chance then? And, you must have been riding there when the infamous "truck teeter" was still there. Probably still one of the best stunts I've ever seen for inginuity.
The story I've always heard was that the South side was owned by a group that was cool with the XC stuff. But, when the drops and ladders came in and they had to medivac a kid outta there, things changed. As far as the North side, different ownership and somewhat more mellow attitude on the trails being there.
But, it's the same old story as everywhere else. XC stuff is fine. Jumps, drops, and ladders(especially nailed into live trees) will certainly PO the land owners.
From what I know, riding there is fine on the existing trails. Crossing the RR tracks is another issue. Look both ways to make sure the BN folks don't see ya.
We can talk about that tonight on the climb.
Also, I have a cresent wrench in the bike box and can fix that squeaky rotor easily.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Yup on all counts. The truck teeter was cool, when I got up the nerve to do it. Are you talking about Jr Bullit's squeaky rotor? Coversation on the climb will be good. :thumb:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yes. About 5 minutes with a cresent wrench will do wonders. I'll be there at 4. Although Oly's post did catch me. He is a tool. Just for that we'll make him count his dabs on Iverson and duct tape his butt to the saddle so he can't get off to push the bike on the road climb.
The Gulch is damn fine for an, "in city" ride. Way better than other local places. Frankly, I'm shocked that more people don't know about it. The main builder always said not to spread the word and I've respected that. More even yearly growth. I have not been there yet this year. But, it's always good in the fall before the North side, in particular gets too slimy to climb. I think there's probably 14-16 miles total in there? Heard about some new DJs on the North side by the gravel pit?
I have a picture of the truck someplace. Very cool. The best teeter I've ever seen for thrills. Proud to say I've fallen off and lived.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Borneo said:
Although Oly's post did catch me. He is a tool. Just for that we'll make him count his dabs on Iverson and duct tape his butt to the saddle so he can't get off to push the bike on the road climb.
QUOTE]
Oh yea, now yer talkin..... :evil: