Quantcast

jdcambs Apizza

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been trying to figure a way to share my Pizzas with you all. My thought was to see what it would take to sell Pizza like Blue Apron sells family dinners. Folks move from the East Coast and miss the style of pizza we have here. I wanted to see if I could ship them the dough, sauce, meats and veggies we have here to there. Where ever there might be. It seems simple enough.

I hired a marketing company and a food consultant to determine if it was a feasible concept. I tried to keep it local, but that required a relationship with a grocery distributor. They were not interested. The main thing we found out was that most folks aren't remotely interested in handling raw dough. That and household ovens do not go to a high enough temp to cook a pizza properly. We tinkered around and found a recipe that we can ship and will be easy enough to work out of the packaging and bake in a household oven. It turns out it was all in the yeast. All in all everyone that gets paid agrees with the concept. Those that don't want to buy the idea from me to go forth on their own.

The next thing we found out is that the Krafts and Syscos of the world limit the packaging companies from dealing with anyone that wants to edge in on their territory. So basically we have to invent the package to deliver our pizza. We have not figured out this part yet. Shipping fresh veggies requires hugely expensive government permits. Even on a small scale. The few concepts we have come up with have either failed or do not seem cost effective enough to have a packaging company make our shipping containers. $10 for a package to ship $2.10 worth of ingredients, put a 14" pie at about $22.90. No matter how good it is. Nobody will buy it.

The next stumble was Fedex, UPS, and the US mail cannot guarantee any sort of temperature range during different stages of shipping. If dough and cheese freeze, then it is destroyed or is of diminished quality. Heat also has adverse effects. This can be overcome. But it will never be cheap or easy.

The other thing is I have no Business acumen. I am functionally illiterate and have a miserable understanding of even the simplest of concepts in regards to business. I have good ideas but seem to lack the ability to translate my ideas to those I need to. I get frustrated and then mean. When I yell at folks and try to bully them as I have all my life. Most talented reasonable folks stop returning calls and emails. I am who I am is not good enough. I failed in the bike world just for this very reason.

One way we could overcome some of these difficulties would be if we had a brick and mortar restaurant/facility where could serve to the public and then ship full premade pies to customers. That does 2 things, our reputation could be used for marketing and a unified facility fosters trust from the public somehow. I have no interest in this concept. But I do have a investor willing to take on our shared risk. He is sketchy as fuck and I don't trust him. Nobody does. I would never have to worry about labor problems or trash pickup however... I have found premade pies from other places to suck. Once a pizza is baked it needs to be eaten. I don't operate on memory of how good it tasted in the restaurant and I assume neither do any of you.

Jim

1-16 Pie.jpg

Test pizza #116

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wynona's Big Brown Beaver made me think of this: instead of shipping pies to the people why not just move yourself to the people in a place where your style of pizza is not available? You'd have to leave your friends and assorted crazy ex girlfriends but hey... if you want to make a difference you have to pay the price. :thumb:

You should come to Montana Nana Monkey Fest and cook us pizza over a camp fire. We'll gofund you a ticket and assorted fake IDs, whatever is needed. Kind of on a budget so you would have to hitch hike back.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Had a preliminary conversation with a banker. To him it was a preliminary meeting. For me it was pretty conclusive. If Banks are the source of Capital in our economy then why do they no longer give loans? What exactly are they in the business of? Holding on to your money and then charging you for that privilege?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I want to drive to the trailhead and ride my bike instead of making pizzas. Then have somebody make me a pizza and then give me a beer afterwards. I am work adverse....
I didn't say that you had to be the one cooking. You could have the food truck pulling a trailer/mobile shed. Hire some hippy to drive you around to the trail heads, make pizza(s) while riding and then.....profit?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bring yer pies out west!
I would like to. The foodie scene in Washington, Oregon, and Nor Cal is booming. I guess Boise Idaho is a pretty hot scene, as are Bend, Spokane, Eugene, and Happy Valley. My friends in Boise want me to pull the trigger and move there, take over their place so they can move back here to take care of their Mothers or some shit. On their dime... I would consider Yakima as it has a steady economy. Not to many success story's coming out of their however. No slight meant. That place on N 3rd sold for $39K. Fully stocked building, as plug and play as you can get for that cheap doesn't bode well. Have you been to Mod or Carousel? I read about Hoptown also. I would love to have a outdoor place...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yakima is hard on small start ups. The ones that succeed taste delicious and are consistent. I can think of 3 or 4 that have taken off in the last 10 years. Also, the chains usually do well. Hoptown hasn't succeeded yet. They are about to open a storefront that is out of town in the lower valley. The location has seen at least 3 businesses fail in the last 10 years. I am hoping it does well, it's literally at the base of the trails. Their food truck has done well though. It's a bold move they're taking with this new venture. The pizza is pretty good and they do a GF crust which is cool since it is my diet. MOD is a cool idea and if I wasn't GF I would eat there. They offer a GF crust but they are sloppy in the kitchen and busy. I get sick so I stopped going there. Haven't tried Carousel.

Bend is over filling and starting to hit growth walls. So is Hood River. Anything on the I-5 corridor is fun to visit but not the goods for living like the Inland West. Maybe check out Spokane but it's not really on the radar. Boise is the ticket. It checks all the boxes and the downtown is trendy and booming. The trails are prolific plus they have a new skatepark that's a masterpiece. If you stay downtown and on the North and East sides you don't even really notice the mouth breathing bible thumpers that populate the western sprawl. Not to go on about Boise, but I have family there and visit regularly. In the last 10 years the growth has been staggering. Lastly, they consistently have the best Whole Foods eye candy of all the Western cities I've frequented in the last decade.

Also, Baker City, Missoula, Helena, Fort Collins, and GJ/Fruita are worth checking out.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you like central WA, maybe check out Ellensburg. Close to Yak, but you'd get the drunken college kid clientele, and has good MTB/ fat bike access.
I visit there a lot and love it.

I also second the Boise idea- downtown is really fun, and I've only hit the tip of the iceberg mountain biking there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
[Qg OTE="4130biker, post: 4177527, member: 21567"]If you like central WA, maybe check out Ellensburg. Close to Yak, but you'd get the drunken college kid clientele, and has good MTB/ fat bike access.
I visit there a lot and love it.

I also second the Boise idea- downtown is really fun, and I've only hit the tip of the iceberg mountain biking there.[/QUOTE]
I like Boise so far. My cohort thinks she might like to live there.

I have always had a dream where I build pools. I recently watched a show on the discovery channel where this idiot build pools. I got this ridiculous thought that I could also build pools. It seems that folks who build pools make shitloads of money. Keyword being shitloads and money somewhere other then here.....

For the most part I find cooking for others to be demoralizing and I am lazy and hate to clean up after others... Many of the folks who charge top dollar for their food are Pigs, Dirty finger nails, poor hygiene, suspect, lifestyles and nasty gang tattoos, infected piercings.... All sorts of nastiness. You have been warned.

Too check tenderness of your steak I was taught to use the thumb method (look it up) I don't want anyone poking my raw meat with dirty finger nails...

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
For meat pizza I go simple cheese and sausage. Pepperoni in moderation.
For veggies I like spinach and mushrooms, but I don't like a soggy pizza so again, moderation.