Quantcast

Jiminy Jammin'

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, CrabJoe, JimMac, Ragdoll, Woody and I made it out to Jiminy this past Saturday (finally) for some rec DHing...I must say, I came away impressed.

I think most of us have ridden there several times in the past, but stopped going as trail maintenance deteriorated and they just didn't seem to care about their biking program as much as their ropes courses (which admittedly probably brings in more money). Anyways, we met Darrel, who is the trail building "head" (I put that in quotes as he's essentially an unpaid volunteer), and talked a little bit about the mountain's past and future, which he's had a large hand in.

Back on topic, the riding was great and the trails were in very good shape. Very little was overgrown; we got pricker'ed a few times but never had to bushwhack or anything. A few sections were a little bit clapped out, but it's no worse than Plattekill gets in the spring and there were always alternative lines that didn't go through the rough ****. We had a great day and honestly the riding was mint, to the point that the extra hour you drive from Boston compared to Highland doesn't seem so far, especially when you factor in the cheaper lift ticket and perennial gridlock on 93S around Concord. The riding is totally different, and true east coast DH, with tight singletrack and wicked steeps. I came away having the best DH day this year so far, and look forward to coming back...I think most people agree. I didn't take any photos as riding is more fun than pictures, so you'll have to take my word.

I did have a few suggestions:

Trail H is butt-puckeringly steep. It's basically a straight shot down the face of the mountain, and it kills your brakes and it's not entirely that much fun. Adding some switchbacks to it would make it a little less intense.
Trail maintenance was very good- I have no complaints. My only suggestion might be to close trails that are completely clapped out. Near the "thing with the blades" there are some trail braids that are too tired and should be closed, as the main line is still in good shape.
Trail marking has come a long way, and some trails are very good but some are extremely confusing....I never would have found trail "D" had it not been for some other people who went down the trail in front of us.
Trail "K" and "D" split and aren't well marked either. Some kind of street sign would help show which direction to head in. I don't think we ever rode trail "L"...didn't know it was there!
It would be nice to have a couple of green cruisers that went down either side of the mountain...something to warm up on, or take beginners on, or just something that wasn't so damn steep!
It would also be nice to have a connector to "F" and "B"/"D" that was in the woods instead of on the fireroad. Would make those trails that much longer and keep it interesting...the road gets boring the fifth time you go down it.
I still want a bungie cord for the lifts...

Anyways...get out there and show some support...it's a great mountain, and it's the cheapest ticket on the east coast. The lift doesn't start until noon but I got tired doing constant runs until 430...I didn't even make it until 5.