Quantcast

"Jobs Americans Wont do"

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
So you think that highly skilled employees will want to work 1-year contracts, and that companies will want to hire them for that short amount of time and expect them to be effective? Maybe to some extent, but I doubt that problem would exceed the current issue of having so many illegals.

yes. am absolutely sure.

the supply of skilled workers willing to legally emigrate into the US (whatever the conditions as long as its legally) is almost infinitely elastic imo. in fact, it surprises me that you´d have doubts about that.

on the number???
the US i think issues something around 400k work visas (temporary or not) a year. even if they extended the number to 1 million, 2 million, or 5 million. and overwhelming majority of those inmigrants would be skilled inmigrants with the means to go thru all the paperwork and time invested.

and even then, like sanjuro said, you´d still have the farmers and janitors out of the equation.
plus, with the huge wave of skilled inmigrants, the wages for white collar jobs will go down, skilled workers will protest, and xenophobia will be rampant.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
yes. am absolutely sure.

the supply of skilled workers willing to legally emigrate into the US (whatever the conditions as long as its legally) is almost infinitely elastic imo. in fact, it surprises me that you´d have doubts about that.

on the number???
the US i think issues something around 400k work visas (temporary or not) a year. even if they extended the number to 1 million, 2 million, or 5 million. and overwhelming majority of those inmigrants would be skilled inmigrants with the means to go thru all the paperwork and time invested.

and even then, like sanjuro said, you´d still have the farmers and janitors out of the equation.
plus, with the huge wave of skilled inmigrants, the wages for white collar jobs will go down, skilled workers will protest, and xenophobia will be rampant.
So after reading the link of you H1b visa, why not just issue the opposite of that? That is to say, why not allow fruit picking, etc. companies to request visas for its illegal workers?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
So after reading the link of you H1b visa, why not just issue the opposite of that? That is to say, why not allow fruit picking, etc. companies to request visas for its illegal workers?
1. Fees.
2. Hassle.
3. They probably prefer illegal workers because no benefits, no insurance (including workman's comp).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
1. Fees.
2. Hassle.
3. They probably prefer illegal workers because no benefits, no insurance (including workman's comp).
Tax, tax, tax...got it covered. At least alot more than it is now.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
trojan horse.

a computer programmer in india making 300 bucks a month will say.. "fuq it, i will take a job picking up oranges for 6 months, then i will quit and use my 100% legal work permit to get a better job".

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey, now that i remember... there is a J visa for foreign college kids that allows them to work in the US in the summer in ski resorts, disneyland and stuff like that...

but its pretty restricted, and as far as i can remember, the kids family has to sign up a finantial guarantee and is kinda expensive for the kids family. not really cost-effective for the employee imo.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seems to me everything was working pretty well before Republicans manufactured xenophobic paranoia in the population.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like the idea of making illegals felons. We just don't have enough people in jail in the US. All those empty cells and all those unemployed prison guards looking for work, sad really.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Changleen said:
What is fair compensation for digging a ditch or cleaning toilets?
Whatever minimum wage is. As for the ditch digging, you could have a bonus system too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Westy said:
I like the idea of making illegals felons. We just don't have enough people in jail in the US. All those empty cells and all those unemployed prison guards looking for work, sad really.
ship illegals to Afganistan. Probably used to the heat and the desert already.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BeerDemon said:
You ever tried to hire anyone? This country is full of lazy ****s who think they should be paid a kings ransom for doing a half ass job.
i dont want a kings ransom but i want enough money to live off of and an employer that shows appreciation for me as a hard and dedicated worker by providing me with basic essentials like, uhhhhmmmm, i dont know, health insurance.

i am pretty tired of employers attitudes. They all think they are doing us the biggest favor in the world by hiring on a very meager salary, not giving us any benefits, working us overtime, mkaing sure we can multitask and then reminding us how lucky we are to have our job in the first place and that they can change that whenever they want.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
a migrant workers union huh?

thats just f'n great a union of illegal workers ftrying to force our government to pay them more and give them benefits.

the worst thing about the whole immigration snafu is that illegal immigrants get treated in hsopitals for free when i as an american tax payer may or may not get treated because i have no health insurance but if i do yo ucan beleive it will cost and arm and a leg.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ALEXIS_DH said:
yes. am absolutely sure.

on the number???

well when the white color job pay goes and the cost of goods rendered by manual labor goes up it should effectively even out to where it was.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BurlyShirley said:
Get all the workers you need to fill out the paperwork and get a work visa. If that's too hard, make it easier.
Have you ever filled out a us work visa application? I have. It is absurd. Too hard is an understatement. You need miles of paperwork, ridiculous wait times (years in some cases), insane quotas and LOTS of $$$ just to apply for certain types. Hell, just figuring out what category of visa you need is a ridiculous job.

Although I agree that allowing Illegals to work is retarded. If they can work, how exactly are they illegal??

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
"Although I agree that allowing Illegals to work is retarded. If they can work, how exactly are they illegal??"
They are illegal because they sneak across the border without going through customs or anything.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
GumbaFish said:
"Although I agree that allowing Illegals to work is retarded. If they can work, how exactly are they illegal??"
They are illegal because they sneak across the border without going through customs or anything.
Right, and as such SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO WORK. Only Dubya wants to give them greencards.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
biggins said:
i dont want a kings ransom but i want enough money to live off of and an employer that shows appreciation for me as a hard and dedicated worker by providing me with basic essentials like, uhhhhmmmm, i dont know, health insurance.

i am pretty tired of employers attitudes. They all think they are doing us the biggest favor in the world by hiring on a very meager salary, not giving us any benefits, working us overtime, mkaing sure we can multitask and then reminding us how lucky we are to have our job in the first place and that they can change that whenever they want.
:stupid:

Couldn't have said it better.

There are MANY American workers (myself included) who do not want "a king's ransom", we only want FAIR compensation for our labor and applied skills. You know... a dollars work for a dollars pay. NOT 50 cents for a dollars work, oh and you're lucky to get the fiddy cents. F that!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ciaran said:
:stupid:

Couldn't have said it better.

There are MANY American workers (myself included) who do not want "a king's ransom", we only want FAIR compensation for our labor and applied skills. You know... a dollars work for a dollars pay. NOT 50 cents for a dollars work, oh and you're lucky to get the fiddy cents. F that!
Hey, there are plenty of immigrants willing to do your job for less. Maybe we should legalize their immigration so they can take your jobs.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Ciaran said:
You know... a dollars work for a dollars pay
Actually I don't. How much is a dollar's work? Well, a dollar's work is the exact amount of a work that someone is willing to do for a dollar. And there are people that are willing to do an awful lot for a dollar.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
biggins said:
when i as an american tax payer may or may not get treated because i have no health insurance but if i do yo ucan beleive it will cost and arm and a leg.
Uh, you'll get treated and the hospital will have to absorb the cost just like they do for illegals since you don't have insurance.

So thanks, you leech.