Quantcast

Joining the club...need help

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
K...

Looks like I'm joining the 20" posse. I have a tentative deal for a bike except for cranks and wheels. Any suggestions for these parts?

I'm looking forward to trying something new!

MD

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You have a ton of choices when looking for cranks and wheels. I personally run Primo Powerbite cranks, Primo SOB rear wheel, and a crappy loose-bearing black singlewall front wheel.

If you're not running a front brake, you don't need to spend much money on a front wheel. If you want a front brake, definately invest in a strong chrome rim. For the rear wheel don't get any less than a 48 spoke chrome rim laced to a cartridge bearing hub. I like my SOB although I did change the teeny axle locknuts out for larger ones so I wouldn't gouge my frame. Compact drive (flipflop or cassette) is light and strong but also more expensive than the standard 44:16 setup. Decide for yourself. I like being able to replace a $10 freewheel rather than rebuilding a cassette. For cranks, profiles are as good as it gets but you gotta pay a bit more for them. I have been really happy with my Primo's especially since I was very skeptical of alloy cranks. Any of the higher quality 3-piece cranks with sealed BB's should do the trick. I prefer pinchbolt designs because I find them easier to work on but it's all personal preferance. Primo usually offers great bang for the buck and it was the cheapest decent stuff I could order through the shop I work at. I haven't had a problem with them in the few months I have been riding them so I definately speak highly of them

P.S. Congrats on going 20"! You won't regret it

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I'm making the jump to 20" also! I have all my parts in except my frame set and wheels. They should be in Thir or Fri. I went with the Primo powerbites, Primo hubs/hulahoops rims and a FBM frame/fork.
Can't wait to get started on it!
I'm sure I'll be here asking many questions;)

WB

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Profile cranks are nice. I use them as do many other riders. For a wheel set I'd say mount hubs laced to primo hula hoop rims, chrome rear rim (for brake power) and lime green front rim (for a snazzy look). Mount hubs are pretty much the same as demolition,dk and some others, they just don't have a pretty logo.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks for the tips so far...

One more thing...BMX setups. I'm gonna use this bike to ride at the track, fool around on the street, and learn to jump (little teeny ones, mind you, at least for now).

Would I be a total geek running a front brake? It just seems more versatile. I can't see where a few grams of lever and caliper would be a disadvantage, esp. on a bike already made of 4130 and othe heavy sh*t.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by MikeD
Would I be a total geek running a front brake? It just seems more versatile. I can't see where a few grams of lever and caliper would be a disadvantage, esp. on a bike already made of 4130 and othe heavy sh*t.
The reason most people don't run a front brake for the most part is simplicity. If you want a front brake, go ahead and use one. I can't see you getting any s*** from other people for it.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Hey Mike,,,you, me and donnie need to go street riding soon. COngrats on the bike. the thing about having a front brake is that some bmx tracks don't allow bikes with front brakes on. They thing that you might accidentally lay on the front brake and go over the bars. You gonna have some fun I guarantee it. Oh yeah buy some BMX knee pads though... I dig the Pro designs but if you want to save some money Fox makes em too. What frame you getting?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
K...

Looks like I'm joining the 20" posse. I have a tentative deal for a bike except for cranks and wheels. Any suggestions for these parts?

I'm looking forward to trying something new!

MD
ok Mike I think you should go with tried and tested Profile cranks and maybe a set of pre-built wheels for around $100-150 bucks...I have everything else you need....D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What kinds of deals I'll find in Vegas next weekend....?:D

Profile will have a booth, no? And they will be selling, I assume?

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
What kinds of deals I'll find in Vegas next weekend....?:D

Profile will have a booth, no? And they will be selling, I assume?
I don't know, last year there was nothing to be had till everyone started packing up to go home. and still some of the companies were pricks about selling. I would think it would be better to sell as much of your display as you can and avoid shipping.
I'll only be there for the first day:( That would be cool if you can get the hook up though. You might check with the guys at Tip Plus BMX about stuff they don't want to pack up the last day. They sell Profile and Primo. I get all my BMX parts for my shop form them, and just ordered my FBM frame and parts from them as well.

WB

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
here is a tip also...

i liek to run a little bit of a wider tire in the front so when the front wheel smacks down first it doesnt hurt as much...

jus my 2 cents

:D :cool: :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
K, well...

Donnie has the frame and is building it all up for me...it's a We the People...and I have the wheels in my hands now!

Do BMX hubs normally turn rougher than MTB hubs, or should I adjust the cones right away??

Should be on the track this Wednesday for the 1st time!

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It is MMMMMMIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEEE!

I just wish I could ride this thing with some competence...! :(

But I get to practice!!:D

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001