Quantcast

joint problems

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ok so i have tendonitis in both of my achillis tendons. as a result i walked in a way that put stress on my knees. i havent had pain for a while now but ive been noticing lately that i have a tightness and pain in my knees when pedaling. what could this be? i have an appointment with the doc in about a month. i just wanted to hear what some monkies have to say about it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
move away from socal and your asthma probably will get better... :D

dookiegirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2005
Washington
Well I have had tendonitis and arthritis in both my knees for about 10 years now (running track didn't help). I have found that the only way to keep them in less pain is by biking a lot. My doctor told me that the constant rotating motion helps to build back up the cartilage in your knees and it really does work. My knees ache just sitting but after biking an hour they feel great. I don't think that biking is doing anything bad to your knees....it is probably helping them more than anything.

As for lung endurance I run at lunch and then bike after work to keep my lungs in shape. I have asthma too so I feel your pain. The best thing to do is just don't quit and the endurance will build up over time.

I hope you feel better!!

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
What stretching do you recommend for kness - before and after riding.

I have achey knees from not giving up my lunchtime running for several years after my knees were trying to tell me they'd had enough.

MTB'ing is nowhere near as painful, but that first lap around the house getting going in the morning can be a bit pathetic looking.

Oh, the joys of growing older

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have your LBS check your pedal positioning. If your position is bad, riding could easily do more harm than good.

Then...
Glucosamine definitely works.

A friend of mine who's a pitcher takes it for his elbow.
I used to work construction and noticed my knees were really starting to ache. Took Glucosamine as recommended and it wen't away! (I was very very happy)

Wearing knee warmers can help keep things lubed also.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I agree the glucosamine, chondrotine (sp) notion. I tried it for six months and got better, stopped it for six months and got worse, started it agaain and got better.

Also the stretching, if you stretch several times a week the tightness will start to get better. A single episode of streching doesn't really do much, it's only when you stretch several times a week that the tightness will start going away.

Make sure your pedals/seat are in the right position, especially if you use slipless pedals. Generally (this is oversimplified), when sitting on a seat in a riding position, with your foot at the maximum forward position there should be a straight line between the front of your knee, the ball of your foot, your cleat if you have one, and the pedal spindle. You can use a weighted string verify.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Stay off your knees and it will get better ,or wear knee pads when doing the deed :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: ,I have been dealing with a knee problem for a long time and if I do my exercises I have no problems go see the Dr and they might tell you

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Make sure what ever you take has a good quality and that it is at least 1500mg. Body by God has good quality Glucoseamine and chondroitin. It will ache at first because your joints are rebuilding. You should take it for the rest of your life like a vitamin supplement not as a quick fix...like chiropractic.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I take Cosamin DS every day and it seems to work better for me than just glucosamine/chondroitin did. It also has manganese in it. Its a little more evpensive, but I think its worth it.