Quantcast

Joints and bones and stuff

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
So when I ride DH my hands will just be worthless the following day. The joints are usually worked. Does anyone have a suggestion for ways to make my joints healthy?
Are there suppliments that I should look into? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
There are tons of products available these days that help your joints. look for ones with both condroitin (or something) and glucosamine.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by -BB-
whoops...

chondroitine and glucosamine

This one is supposed to be good:

[
I've been taking glucosamine for like 5 months now. It's really hard to say whether I notice a difference. i think i do. :)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
If your in good practice, you can usually get a good joint from a small paper, .75 size and such. A novice will have better luck with these

They are wider and offer more room for.........

Wait....your talking about your body, sorry.

How old are you MB?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I am 25, My hands just get sore fast. I don't know why. I used to boulder a lot and that kinda messed up my hands I guess. It is a bit frustrating cause I have all kinds of energy to go out an ride, but I can hardly hold on to the bars. (edit: after a day of riding)

This only really is an issue for DH. I don't have any problems with dirt jumping or XC or anything like that.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Motionboy2
I am 25, My hands just get sore fast. I don't know why. I used to boulder a lot and that kinda messed up my hands I guess. It is a bit frustrating cause I have all kinds of energy to go out an ride, but I can hardly hold on to the bars. (edit: after a day of riding)

This only really is an issue for DH. I don't have any problems with dirt jumping or XC or anything like that.
This might sound too simple, but have you tried a carbon bar or some different grips?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
If your in good practice, you can usually get a good joint from a small paper, .75 size and such. A novice will have better luck with these

They are wider and offer more room for.........

Wait....your talking about your body, sorry.

You beat me to it again! :(

Glucosamine is the present in the body and aids in the synthesis of the connective tissue between cartiladge, tendons, ligaments, discs etc.

(Glucosamine is converted from Glucose)

Taking glucosamine as a supplement bypasses the conversion process and therefore allows your joints to recover more quickly.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
This might sound too simple, but have you tried a carbon bar or some different grips?
I am not into a carbon bar on the DH bike. I know it is fine and I shouldn't have a problem, but it is more mental.
I have used differnent grips and that didn't really make a difference.
Honestly I think that I just hold on so tight to the bar that I wear myself out. I don't know how to stop that though so I need to figure out how to make my hands last longer.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Motionboy2
I am not into a carbon bar on the DH bike. I know it is fine and I shouldn't have a problem, but it is more mental.
I have used differnent grips and that didn't really make a difference.
Honestly I think that I just hold on so tight to the bar that I wear myself out. I don't know how to stop that though so I need to figure out how to make my hands last longer.
I hear you there, I had a carbon bar on my XC bike and it made me nervous. Is it possible that you have arthritus? I'm 29 and I have some in my right hand, but, it is a result from injuries. If you were climbing alot, you could very well have wore your hands out. Maybe you should see an ortho?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
have you tried adjusting the rake of your bar or your arm positon when riding. your elbows low and tight or up and out like on a dirt bike. i bouldered pretty hard for years and i am not experiencing it on the bike. i would try handle bar positioning first

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I hope I am not getting arthritus al ready. I don't know. As for others. I know that I am not the only one that Bouldered a lot. but the thing is I messed up a couple times and screwed up some fingers.
I don't know, I stretch them out like I did when i was bouldering but they just get worn. I will have to try some suppliments and get another grip ball for when I am at work. Maybe a little more strength would help.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Glucosamine is the only clinically proven supplement to not only stop joint degeneration but actually aid in the rebuilding of cartiledge (i know the spelling is way off but you can sound it out this way!)

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I had simliar problems with 3 of my knuckles, both knees, and a big toe joint. Some days I need to actually move them with my hand to get the moving and I'm only 34.

Anyway I started using Move Free. I only use about half the recommeded dose and after a few days (I guess it needs to build up) it does seem to help. Once I stop using it though I start to have problems again.