Quantcast

Jonnynails and Preggers roadtrip to Colorado

Preggers, a.k.a. Mrs. Jonnynails and I left for Colorado this morning(Thursday July 9th) from Charlotte, NC. Taking a 2 week roadtrip - did I mention she's 6 months pregnant? I'll try and update this page with pics and some commentary over the next two weeks as we go cross country and through Colorado. Brought out xc bikes and my Demo 8 as well.

The plan is to spend a few days in the following places:
1. Golden - Have a relative here who is a mountain biker and can't wait to torture me. planning to stop by Yeti sometime too
2. Aspen/Snowmass - Doing some of the tourist thing, some govt' trail and maybe a lift ride at Snowmass.
3. Vail - Have to do some exploring as i have no idea what to expect
4. Sol Vista - US Nats and moto jumps, this is a no brainer.
5. Winter Park - looks like they are getting their sh!t together
6. Keystone - big and steep from what I'm told
7. Colorado Springs - Olympic training center

Besides biking we will be doing some hiking, checking out the mountain towns, acting like tourists and going to scenic locales. I'm open to any suggestions from people in the know in any of the above mentioned areas.

Hitting the road:

We drove for 12 hours today and made it to a little town just west of St. Louis called St. Charles. Drove through western NC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and into Missouri.

The arches on the Mississippi:

Downtown and riverfront area of St. Louis was nice, but we drove past a lot of run down neighborhoods with buildings falling apart. Seems like a real cool city, just looked like a lot of it is in despair. Probably true of any big city and we only saw most of it from HWY 64 and 70.

St. Charles for some beverages and food:

Then some gambling on the Missouri River:

St. Charles is a really cool little town on the Missouri river. A really nice historic downtown with lots of shops and old brick buildings. Tons of restaurants with outside decks and patios overlooking the river.

Only 12 more hours to drive tomorrow to get to Denver...............

Finally made it to Colorado!!!!

Drove to Colorado Springs and went to see the Olympic Training Center

Lucky for me the BMX olympic hopefuls were putting on a demo. Unfortunately our camera took a crap part way into it. These guys were throwin' down some nasty 360's, and backflips. Last pic is not good as that is when the camera took a turn.

Finally did some riding on Sunday. The Golden area is a MTBer's paradise. So many trails so close together. My wife's Aunt took us out to Elk Meadow in Evergreen. This pic is from the ride up I-70 - Mountains Biatches!!!

Nice trail, not to technical other then dodging hikers:D A couple big climbs up Bergon Mountain.

Met up with a buddy today (Monday) I have not seen since college today and he took me on a trail he has been building. Fun and flowy with tons of jumps. Sorry, only got one fuzzy pic as we were having too much fun.

Rode Vail today. I really like this place. It's a huge mountain - the trails have everything from moto style speed with huge breaking bump holes that you could lose a small child in to tight, twisty, technical and steep singletrack. Being an East coaster the vert got the better of me. Longest DH runs I'm used to are between 1,000 - 1,500 maybe at Snowshoe in WV. I decided to save the DH rig for tomorrow at Sol Vista, so I rode the slalom bike. Sketchy is a word that comes to mind. Preggers rode the entire mountain on the intermediate trail. I hit trails called PMT, Mane Lane, Hanks Hideaway.

the top of Vail

Preggers railing the loose hardpack

Me at the end of PMT Trail

Had lots of riding to do so not too many pics. Wished I had the DH rig out today, but I'm pumped to pin it tomorrow at Sol Vista. For all of you waiting to see some big bike pics check back tomorrow.

Finally made it to a big DH race this year - US Nats. at Sol Vista resort in Granby Colorado. This place is way up the road. First you drive over an 11,300 foot pass and then go past Winter Park 30 miles or so. The mountain is not huge - 8,000 ft base and slightly over 9,000 peak. They did a real good job with what they have though - lots of big gaps, some rocks, jump and berm trails that make you dizzy from all the turns. No BS, one of the trails has got to have over 30 berms!!! Feels good to be around all the other DH maniacs. Already saw a lot of carnage from people coming up short or over shooting some of the gaps. The Pro course was closed until tomorrow, but you could see the 3 huge moto jumps from the lift. The last one in the set is 50 feet just to clear it. They painted lines on the landing that go all the way out to 75 feet.

God love the ski lift

Preggers took some pics at the bottom of the course, which was kinda flowy berms and jumps. I just did laps all afternoon so didn't know until tonight when or where she got shots

The Yeti crew was out there in force. I did a run with Sam Blenkinsop - actually I could hear a bike coming down the trail behind me that eventually caught up to me. I got over at my first available chance and apologized as he went by. He said no worries mate, cheers. Then I saw his name on the back of his jersey. I know people have said he rides sketchy and on the edge, but he was scarry smooth. He was just playing with the jumps - staying low and tire tapping the top of the landers with front and rear wheels and then pumping the entire transition for more speed. Besides blinky, Gwin, and Graves were lapping the expert course. I tried to make sure they got in front of me at the top:D

The next two days preggers is in a conference (early morning only) in Broomfield so were going to do day trips. Keystone, Vail (again - love that place), and back to Sol Vista for Nats.

Any of you monkies that haven't been to Colorado, you need to get out here for as long as you can. I'm already planning our trip for next summer - gonna be tougher with little Jonnynails jr. on the way. We are hoping that family here and Preggers parents can help us a little on that end and may be able to pull off an entire month here next summer!!!!!

Updates to follow.............

Last edited:
Preggers is doing pretty good on the mountain bike for having a 6 month old future world cup DH champion in her belly :D If she gets to something to tech or steep she gets off and walks, but she is a pretty good mountain biker. Yesterday (Thursday) we went to Boulder. Stopped by "The Fix" bike store in Boulder. Guys there are really cool - helped us with a bike issue and gave us some places to ride. Shop caters to us DH er's with all kinds of gear and components in stock. They even had M6 and 951 frames in stock. If you ever go to Boulder, check em out sometime.

We ended up at a trail called Marshall Mesa on the south side of Boulder. We both wanted something easy as my legs were torched from lapping Vail and Sol Vista in back to back days. Trail was not real technical, but had some great views of Boulder and surrounding mountains.

Every once in a while there was a little something to keep the trail fun:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Are you going to hit Winter Park ? Ride Mountain Goat if you do.

What about Keystone ? If you can get to the bottom in under twenty-five minutes I'll by the tacos next time we ride.

Tell Preggers I said howdy.

Are you going to hit Winter Park ? Ride Mountain Goat if you do.

What about Keystone ? If you can get to the bottom in under twenty-five minutes I'll by the tacos next time we ride.

Tell Preggers I said howdy.
Whad up JJ? Dude, you would have loved Vail. Steep, rough and long. Imagine doing the Pro DH side of Snowshoe, and then doing it two more times and your close to the bottom of Vail. Preggers says hi and to get your taco $$$ ready!!! Not sure about Winter Park and Keystone - it's going to be one or the other. I'm leaning towards Keystone right now.

Today we rode in Golden - such a great MTB and outdoors town. We started at White Ranch from the top, but a little ways into the trail I realized it was a little too rocky for preggers and I wouldn't call myself a good husband or father to be to let us continue - even though the trail seemed like it was going to be a lot of fun.

Instead we went to South Table. Trail was a little dull, but had good views. There were some lose rocks that made you pay attention, especially with the seat all the way up on a descent.

See that big rock in the pic below that sticks out and is flat on top? Thats where we are going. Don't panic, the climb didn't start where the picture was taken.

Preggers letting it hang out in the rocks!! Our son is bond to be nuttier then a fruit basket with our genes in him.

That's Denver behind me in this pic

Preggers again just pinnin' it:D:D:D

There were a couple little sections that made the trail fun, just wished they would have been longer.

Traveling home now:( The good news is that we stopped and spent a day in Knoxville, Tennessee. Did an XC ride today at a place called IC King. Back to riding that I know - mosquitos, tacky dirt, humidity, and roots. After the XC ride, I loaded up the big bike and headed to a well know place in eastern TN.

Preggers enjoying the last few weeks of riding

Trails were fun and circled around a lake.

Riding wasn't technical for the most part. Some roots, some rocks, some mudholes - but most of it was easy to get through with speed.There were trails marked beginner, intermediate and experts only.

So, after the XC ride we headed up to Windrock. It's really ashame that I haven't made it hear before as it is only 4 hours from my house! This place seperates the boys from the men quickly. I didn't have any body armour, only a full face and knee pads which was not good. Super steep and very intimidating, but also really fun at the same time. The jumps and drops and stunts are all built really well. All of the gaps launched me perfect - i never got bucked or off balance - berms built before some of the gaps so you can maintain speed to clear them. Built and maintained by people who know what they are doing! Thanks WR crew. I was by myself other then my trusted shuttle driver, preggers, so I didn't get too crazy. I did hit some bigger gaps then I thought I would have being alone on the mountain and they were like butter. I also stopped at anything blind - several sections where a steep section would come up and I'd shut it down to have a look. I did try and walk around a big drop. The drop wasn't bad, but the landing area leading to a straight down steep section freaked me out. Next time I'll have body armour and a Leatt Brace and I'm all over it!!

Some pics here taken by preggers that are mostly at the bottom of the trail. I didn't want my 6 month pregnant wife to hike on anything real steep and risk falling, but wanted to through some pics on here of the giant playground!! If you haven't been here, it should be on your short list. Best place I have ridden on the East Coast, maybe anywhere and I was only there for 2 hours as it was getting dark.

Hitting Wilsons tomorrow as we will be driving right by it to get home, and my personal shuttle driver is down

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hell yeah Jonny !

I'm glad you got your Windrock cherry popped. That place will make you feel like you've never ridden DH before and a first timer all over again.

Road trip later this season is order.