Quantcast

Judy C

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Have any of you guys used a Judy C? 2001 is the year I'm looking at. Jensonusa.com has some for 89 bucks. But I don't see why they haven't run out of them, so I am thinking the Judy C sucks.Am I wrong?? MTBR has no reveiws of the 2001 C, and besides, the reviews there are annoying. I don't have a lot of money, so a more expensive fork isn't possible, and if the C has a lot of problems like leaking I don't want it.

G

Gutty

Very basic fork but still O.K. No damping adjustments but unlike the Judt TT it is actually oil damped. I have a Judy race 00 on a hardtail and although it is very flexy(compared to my Jr) it still does its job reasonably well. For 89 bucks i don't think you could go wrong. At that price your only other option is probably a Manitou SXR( live in Aus so not too sure on prices over there) but i think it has less travel.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
it aint bad. if madbiker logs in any time soon, he can tell ya all about it (he got the $89 one from Jenson with no hassle). it's a tad heavy, but what the heck do you expect with steel all around. coil sprung, oil damped. stock springs are good for ~130lb riders (i'm 155 and i can bottom it out hopping around the driveway). action is very smooth (he lubed it when he got it with a swathing of Judy Butter and forgot about it -- the boots do their job). the damping is *extremely* light stock, so you'll probably want to pick up some heavier weight oil (i'm not sure what the stock weight is, but if you go up 5 or 10, it should be about right). pretty durable, not too flexy.

the only real weird thing was that the fork has something to the effect of "No Travel Over 80mm" etched on the back of the crown. the aftermarket Judy Cs can go to 100mm. maybe this is BS, i dunno. madbiker is gonna try the 100mm conversion sometime soon. i'll update ya then :) oh yah, as with all RockShox all-travel systems, stock travel is 80mm and can be reduced to 63mm.

has IS disc tabs, looks good in black. it's all good.

definitely worth the $89. by far the best fork out there for that much money.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
i haven't had anything but a parking lot test on the Magnum R, but it felt damn good and the adjustment is great.

my friend and i have had quite a bit of time on the C and it feels good, though no adjustment.

Magnum R should be good, but the C is safe.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I'm wit Shibby on this one - the Judy is the safe bet. I run a 2001 SL (albeit with custom springs for fat people, which were cheap BTW) and I am most happy. The Manitou is cool, but if you do ever plan to go disc sometime, the Manitou doesn't have the IS 2000 mounts and that means you will have to keep buying Manitou or a new front caliper.

RS makes a good product, you should be happy with the C. When you start making 5 meter drops to flat, that's when you should think about a better fork.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
I don't plan on 5 meter drops to flat...HA! Thats about 15 ft right? Disc brakes aren't really a concern for me, my bike is so old that it doesn't have rear disc mounts. SO I would have to use a wierd adapter thing. Right now I just need the best fork for 100 bucks to get me thruogh till I can get a Stinky.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Well, the fork on my Fisher broke. So that is why I need a fork now. And Fisher seems to target his bikes towards climbing and racing, I'm not to concerned with that. I want a bike I can jump and descend on. And the Stinky is cool.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by fubar5
How about a Manitou X-vert guys? Is that a worth while fork?
The X-vert is a better choice stiffness-wise although for an older bike I'd just go w/ a Judy C. The Magnums aren't nearly as rigid and I remember the spring rate sucking

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that judy will be just fine, as someone pointed out its heavy cause its all steel, stanchions and steerer. the internals are the same hydracoil as the high end ones and only lack adjustment.
as for the travel issue, this might be caused by rockshox using the damper rods from the older forks from 99, if so it will only go 80mm.
at the same price id look into the sx-r its lighter and equally reliable, but the judy might be a bit stronger, dont know about stiffness since i cant remember what lowers it uses., if its the long ones from 2000 (not the ones that look like a psylo) then stiffness will be fairly similar.
the x.vert is a great fork, if you can score one for similar money then i wouldnt hesitate

v