Quantcast

Jumping technique/physics question

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i think the new x-games people called it j-hop..i dunno i have been bmx'n for years and that was always a bunnyhop, i agree though j-hop is a useless term...its a bunnyhop...anything else is just a hop..

BUG

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
CoSprings, Colorado
Man!!!! You've really put a whole tona thought into trying to dirtjump. It's not that bad. You just do it! there is some technics you can work on if your worried about the dive. Here ya go:
Lesson Number 1, taken from Supercross, use your rear brakes in the air. On any jump with a landing and a little airtime, tap your rear brake while you are in the air. This will cause your front end to drop due to the rotational force of your tire coming to a stop, it has to send all that rotating energy some where so the front of your bike begins to drop. After getting use to using your brakes and manipulating your body you will soon find you need to use your brakes less and less. I know this technic works well for the "Dead Sailor" jumper that's just trying to make it over in a straight line. once you start ti kick your bike out a little bit you will find that its fun to just whip it into place, some times called Taril Style you will find tat little kickouts and table tops make it that much easier to point that front end down.
Lesson Number 2, taken from the old dude that dosen twant to break anything becaus ehe's not sure if he will heal. Try doing nose wheelies or nose bonks around the skate park or at your local track and trails. At the skate park, work aroun the pyramids and volcanos, those light transitions you can jump but have to bunnyhop a little to clear work best, where you would role up and have a short flat top. Role into it, as you get to the top of the transition or wedge let the bie almost start to air a little and shove front tire back down to the flat surface and role over it. This will help to start you diving into the back side. even more fun is to role up to the edge of the bowl and throw a littel bunnyhop right at the edge and bounce your front tire off the coping, a Nose bonk. this can bee done to anything....
OHH I KNOW here ya go
Impropto lesson number 3, i think this one will work best/safest
I hope you can bunnyhop a coke can this is it this will get it for ya. Set out the can on the sidewalk. Ride up and bunnyhop over said can. In the over the can force your front tire to coem down and crush the can. level back out and land flat.
Now once you master that and want to turn it into som ebroken bones try doing it over a Basketball, no, that just causes problems... It's fun tho, you can get all sorts a bounce from it........ also all sorts a road rash, on your face.

oh well hope some of this helps. I know the brakes work, that's how I learned, but Then I was already tryin gto jump the jump and landing strange.

good luck!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
This is a great discussion. I have been lurking ,until now, & I have to say I just learned a $hitload. Now I am ready to go try everything I just read. I only jump curbs & little small stuff (1' - 1.5') & only do weeinie drops to flat, now its time to start practicing the real stuff :D .

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by pnj
I'm not really one to get all uptight about what things are called but this one really gets me.

seriously, give me a history lesson.

Oh, it's named after me, but I just call it a bunny-hop. Another friend insisted on the name.:rolleyes:

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by BUG
Man!!!! You've really put a whole tona thought into trying to dirtjump.
The longer I can think about something, the longer I can delay going out and hurting myself! ;)

The nose bonk and can squashing suggestions sound good, I'll give those a try. I wondered if the rear brake would work, having seen it in MotoX, but I've never been in the air long enough to try it!

Pnj..... I first heard the term "J-hop" on a trials forum, so you might be right on that :) They talked about a "bunnyhop" and an "American bunnyhop" aka "J hop".

I dont personally care what its called as long as I can clear something taller than a pack of gum lying in the road!!!

skillz

Chimp
Jan 25, 2003
I just learnt how to do a jump on a bike today
ive been practicing getting the back of the wheel up and put it together so they both go up.
How could i jump higher?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
What you do exactly epends if it's a kicker or a hip or just a flat ramp... but the basic idea is you actually huck your bike off the end of the ramp, kinda like a really hard bunnyhop. Use the fact that the ramp is throwing you and your bike up in the air, and enhance that by timing your huck to go huge :cool:

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by pnj
ok, that makes some sense. but can you tell me when it was first used?

I've known the word bunnyhop for over 20 years. who came up w/ calling it a j-hop? my guess is, it was a trials rider....

It would make sense if it was a trials dude. Who else would need to differentiate between a slow moving bunnyhop vs. a normal bunnyhop? Man, I wish I could do trials, talkin about some fun stuff!!

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by MojoJojo
And yo, Squid, just remember to apply the 3-beeotch rule, that's two free bailout and third time you have to go, my friend
:thumb:
:D

Progress report: I've been doing a lot of practicing at the skatepark, and definately improving. My old BMX bike was very light, and I could bunnyhop and jump it pretty well (relatively speaking), but my new one is heavy. I'm starting to get the new bike back to where I was with the old bike.

Last night I started to actually be able to launch smoothly (somewhat) and control my bike in the air to a certain extent. Something clicked and I now have a better feel for the rhythm required. Not sure how to explain that... before I'd try and launch off the lip of a jump, and more or less just kinda jump off my bike instead, cause the timing was all wrong. Now it works better, and I can boost off the jump, and tuck the bike up under me a bit, and land at the angle I want, and so forth. For the first time in a few weeks I feel like I've made actual progress!!!!

I think at this rate, by the time our snow thaws and I have access to some dirt jumps, I should be fine! :)

elf 231

Chimp
Nov 24, 2006
at home
kind of 2 and three its a concious shift of the riders weight throwing it forward at the moment of clearing the ramp