Quantcast

Juniper transport systems

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Looks like I am going to be learning a lot about Juniper over the next two months. Have any of you all ever worked with their transport/routing devices?

I will be in a 4 week class starting in a couple of weeks.

BV, I'm sure you've heard of them, thoughts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's kinda like taking a class in computer systems that focuses on Apple.

There will be a lot of core functions and concepts that will apply across all networking areas, which is great. In the end, though, you're getting certified/educated in a company with a network share that's an order of magnitude smaller than Cisco.

If it's for a particular job, great. Do it. If you're just pursuing networking education, you'd do better with a Cisco certification or class.

Juniper makes good equipment though.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I'm not going on my dime, it's the AF that's paying for it. Where do you see this used in the commercial world?

Thanks for the info.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not going on my dime, it's the AF that's paying for it. Where do you see this used in the commercial world?

Thanks for the info.
Well, despite the small market share, there are still companies that deal with strictly Juniper routers. So, to a certain point, I disagree with JBP; people know who Juniper is if they're involved in the networking industry. It's just that this would typically be large enterprise shops or agencies who had to investigate and get bids and contracts for their networking equipment - smaller companies won't know them usually, unless they're I.T. companies or they have had the equipment recommended to them by someone.

More to the point, though, you'll end up with a background in general network fundamentals/concepts. That is what will be useful. Whatever you learn of the Juniper command line or configurations will be generally applicable to other router manufacturers. You'll have to learn a new syntax when you move to Cisco equipment but most of the concepts will be the same. OSPF, for example, still needs a process ID and an area ID and a subnet on which to route. It still uses the same metrics for its routes across all brands. Same timers, same everything.

So take this for what it is: an education specifically in Juniper if the AF is going to be hiring you to work on their Juniper equipment, but more generally, hang onto the networking concepts tightly. They will carry through to future jobs if you want to stay in the network industry.

What are they going to have you doing/working on at the end of this?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Kaiser Permanente uses some Juniper stuff in some of their remote access applications. I don't know any details though, sorry I don't work in the networking dept. I can tell you though, that KP is a very large nationwide enterprise network with over 150K desktop endpoints. Last I heard we were over 7500 servers.

Last edited: