Quantcast

Just another example of GWB being owned by the corporations

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The White House should have conducted a more thorough review before allowing United States technology firms to sell high-speed computers to Russia, China, India and countries in the Middle East, according to a congressional report released on Monday.

The Bush administration relied too heavily on the opinions of computer makers and did not adequately consider national security issues when it eased Cold War-era restrictions on supercomputer exports last January, the report said, enabling "countries of concern" to more easily design advanced nuclear weapons, aircraft and other weapons.

Congress may need to step in to ensure that the government is thinking through the issue thoroughly, said the General Accounting Office, Congress' investigative arm.

"Since the report's conclusions are based on inadequate information provided by the computer industry and an inadequate assessment of national security issues, the decision to raise the export control threshold is analytically weak and appears to be premature, given market conditions," the report said.

The Commerce and State departments, which were involved in the review, disagreed with the report. The Defense Department said it was reviewing the matter.

The Senate passed a bill last year that would have effectively removed the speed limits, but House Armed Services Committee, newly concerned about national security after September 11, approved a bill in March that would strengthen these requirements.

The U.S. government has since 1979 sought to limit the sale of supercomputers capable of complex three-dimensional modeling, calculating fluid dynamics and other advanced applications in an attempt to slow the spread of nuclear arms.

Manufacturers need to get U.S. permission before selling supercomputers to a group of nations, which includes Pakistan, Israel and Vietnam.

GWB protecting Americans worldwide, yeah right. try: Lining his buddy's pockets at our expense!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Originally posted by Damn True
Hmmm, nobody bitched about representatives from China being given access to Los Alamos.........but that was Clinton so it must have been ok.
Pre RM DT and two wrongs don't make a right. Besides who mentioned BC AG RR GF JC DC GBsr. stay on track, the man is bought and paid for [not to say the others were not either] and we are getting screwed

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Originally posted by BAH
who really cares? no use getting worked up over something you cant change... i dont read the news anymore- dont watch tv and life is great!!!!
its Apathetic People that have put this country is the state of affars that it currently finds itself. Get off your lazy butt and make a difference. Do some volunteering, help out the community, Hell do some trail work, fight for trail access. it all counts

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by eric strt6

its Apathetic People that have put this country is the state of affars that it currently finds itself. Get off your lazy butt and make a difference. Do some volunteering, help out the community, Hell do some trail work, fight for trail access. it all counts
Yeah and brush your damn teeth, they're startin' to look like yellow chicklets

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by BAH
who really cares? no use getting worked up over something you cant change... i dont read the news anymore- dont watch tv and life is great!!!!
heh, ain't that the truth. no tv, no internet, screw the news, haven't watched or browesed either in the past two months. seriously, who does care? we live in our own little world, totally oblivious as to what's really going on outside of our homes. too many of us are caught up with the "truth" and "facts" that the "news" provides us.

Slice

Chimp
Sep 25, 2001
Novato
They are all bought and paid for, that's how they get elected.

That note doesn't say which January I wonder if it was the one that was right after he was sworn in. (i cant spell inagurated)
Popping off like that about W after 8 yrs of Clinton is actually funny.

Dubya ain't the smartest guy, but I fail to believe that Democrats HATE big business. It goes back and forth...soon as another Democratic prez is in office, the Republicans will be in the same shoes as the Democrats are now. This is why I most often don't vote if there's no one worth voting for.....I don't believe in voting for the 'lesser of 2 evils' or such. I believe in voting for a guy who actually is worth a damn. (And no I did not vote for Dubya. I thought him a slightly better candidate than Gore, but neither did I think he was/is the perfect man for the job.)