Quantcast

Just broke in the Holllowoint

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So I got my bike yesterday. Putting it together was cake.
Put on wheels... Check
Put on bar... Check
Seat, post, pedals... Check
Pump up wheels... Check
The brakes weren't rubbing much, shifting was ok but needed some finetuning. Total weight was right around 30lbs. The seatpost, stem and bar were not stock though, but comprable to what it came with.

Today I brought it out to a local XC'ish area, China Camp.
Here are my ride impressions:

First off, the geometry was a little more XC than I was used to, being on a DS and DH bike for over two years, but it wasn't totally laidout like my old HT.

On the climb up to the top, I was really supprised at how well it pedals. Now it's not a HT, but better than any other FS bike I've ridden. Sitting or standing, I could crank on it no problem and it got up to speed quite fast. All this and it was still fairly compliant over the bumps. This was also my first time on an air shock, and it seemed quite nice.
The handling was quick but not overly twitchy, and I had no trouble with any of the tight switchbacks.

Once the trail started pointing down, the bike really started to rip. My tires were overinflated so I lost some traction, but the whole bike seemed VERY solid. I didn't notice any flex. The suspension was fairly plush and I never bottomed it. I also did a little hike up a steep-azz hill, lowered the seat, and bombed down pretty fast; almost as goods as on my other more agressive bikes.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this bike. Oh... there isn't a whole lot of clearance in back for a large tire. Maybe a 2.35 at most. For the $$ though, I have absolutly no regrets.

Here's a few pics for ya...

Oh yeah, and I'm gonna give DW more props than NY has rooftops for this one. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ughhh that's it.
by this summer I'm getting dual suspension bike!!!
I'm sick of my azz hurting hard tail.
Fockers!!!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by indieboy
guess you didn't read my post on the bar ends huh? lol:confused:
no. not till after.

I DID like them though. Not too big and in the way. I really liked how it went behind the bars. I could rest my palm on it a bit to releive pressure on my hand.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by -BB-
no. not till after.

I DID like them though. Not too big and in the way. I really liked how it went behind the bars. I could rest my palm on it a bit to releive pressure on my hand.
those for me are the largers ones. the first generation were a bit smaller. he made the larger size b/c a lot of ppl who were thinking about buying a pair said they were to small for their hands. i really don't know what the hell those ppl were talking about b/c i've got pretty big hands, well long fingers atleast(i'm a skinny xc kid i admit it). anways, all he makes not are the clear, glow in the dark, and black. the first 150 sets he made were all sorts of funky colors. they were TRUELY cool. he had like solid colors and all sorts of swirling colors mixed in....there's a decent pic of the original ones. but i'm glad you enjoyed them.

PS - those are one of like 5 sets of yellows he made :D

Attachments

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
:eek: Whew! For a second there I mis-read the subject and thought you said you just broke your new Hollowpoint :eek:

Glad ya like your new ride :thumb:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Sweet rig man! Congrats. How much travel in the back? I don't know which made me more jealous, the bike or the fact that it was sunny and you could wear shorts!;)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Echo
:eek: Whew! For a second there I mis-read the subject and thought you said you just broke your new Hollowpoint :eek:

Glad ya like your new ride :thumb:
I thought it said that yesterday too. I was all looking forward to placing my order with Superslow and misread the subject. What a couple of knuckleheads we are.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Would the bike make a decent endurance cross country racer?

i.e. 12/24 hour solo or 100 mile races
I've never done one, so I couldn't tell you. Probably though. It is plush, pedals great, and is 30lbs.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by VTinCT
Sweet rig man! Congrats. How much travel in the back? I don't know which made me more jealous, the bike or the fact that it was sunny and you could wear shorts!;)
Actually, I was getting VERY hot in that long sleeve too... it was about 65 I think.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
All the weight has to be in the frame. It's got a really nice spec.

But when you think about it, 30 lbs for a 5 and 5 bike isn't bad.
For real. Is that a Float or a Vanilla fork?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
All the weight has to be in the frame. It's got a really nice spec.

But when you think about it, 30 lbs for a 5 and 5 bike isn't bad.

...coil-over, Z1, Hayes Hydros, Panaracer Fire DH 2.3's F/R and other XXL-approved componentry. It feels like a toy compared to my 45# Scream.

Hey BB, any idea what the frame alone weighs?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...coil-over, Z1, Hayes Hydros, Panaracer Fire DH 2.3's F/R and other XXL-approved componentry. It feels like a toy compared to my 45# Scream.

Hey BB, any idea what the frame alone weighs?
No clue... it already had the BB, rings, Crank fork, & stem installed when I got it.

What really DID impressm me was the tubing. 7005 series The DT is horizontally oval at the bb and vertical oval at HT

Pretty good Standover for a 19in Seat-tube, and best of all, it isn't an Inturupted one.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by -BB-
What really DID impressm me was the tubing. 7005 series The DT is horizontally oval at the bb and vertical oval at HT

I wonder when someone will start using round 7005 series tubes that are internally oval for frames...you know...kinda like a Thomson seatpost? "Natural ellipse bore inside tube for optimum strength to weight ratio".

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by spincrazy
I think the frames weigh in, with the air shock, at just below 6 pounds.
Yes the standard frame is right around 6 lbs.

The weight of the standard Hollowpoint frame is normal at 6 lbs, compared other competing frames in the 4-5" range. The Hollowpoint Team frame is within the lighter part of the spectrum for this class of bikes with its Ti hardware. I can't find the information on the exact weights right now, but I've seen the data before - the Hollowpoint definately isn't heavy - its about the components you put on the frame and the one in the review was setup for durable trail useage.

My 2002.5 19" Hollowpoint was 28 lbs with blackspire big ring bashguard, 3ring chainguide, syntace VRO bar/stem setup, downtube protector, and Time alium pedals. The only weight upgrade I made was to the wheelset and I was running the notubes tiresetup instead of the stock UST one.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, the 2002.5 that I have is not a pig for weight. I'd be fine riding it for a 24 hour race. Over that much time, I'd take the extra weight and comfort over the lightness of a hardtail everytime.

I like to be able to walk when I get off the bike :)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy
those for me are the largers ones. the first generation were a bit smaller. he made the larger size b/c a lot of ppl who were thinking about buying a pair said they were to small for their hands. i really don't know what the hell those ppl were talking about b/c i've got pretty big hands, well long fingers atleast(i'm a skinny xc kid i admit it). anways, all he makes not are the clear, glow in the dark, and black. the first 150 sets he made were all sorts of funky colors. they were TRUELY cool. he had like solid colors and all sorts of swirling colors mixed in....there's a decent pic of the original ones. but i'm glad you enjoyed them.

PS - those are one of like 5 sets of yellows he made :D
I have those bar ends i just got some but in black and i love them even though i haven't ridden yet. I've got all my new shlt on my bike including new sram 9.0sl stuff i kinda wish i got the halfpipe shifters though.

Nice bike BB:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by swiss_less
A little behind the times there stosh huh? :D
Yeah, but I like the speed and control of my hardtail. I paid a pretty penny for it.
I'll pass it on to my girlfriend.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I just got my tax return.....................

Might have to place an order with Stupidslow.
Supergo isn't the only option for Ironhorse. Some LBS will match Supergo - check out that route first - its the best one.

Next is bicyclebuys.com.

And the last one I know of is Bikeswholesale.com - I know they carry the high-end Ironhorse framesets, but I am not sure about the complete bikes, give them a call to find out.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by syadasti
Supergo isn't the only option for Ironhorse. Some LBS will match supergo - check out that route first - its the best one.

Next is bicyclebuys.com.

And the last one I know of is Bikeswholesale.com - I know they carry the high-end Ironhorse frameset in stock, but I am not sure about the complete bikes, give them a call to find out.
Find me an Iron Horse Dealer near zip code 23038 and I'll go get it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Find me an Iron Horse Dealer near zip code 23038 and I'll go get it.
Ask Kpicha, I think she lives in that area.

Most likely there aren't any - but bicyclebuys has the same price and is located in Long Island, NY (thats were Ironhorse headquarters is located also). If both places have them in stock - you'd get your bike quicker from them.

The extent of my experience with Bicyclebuys.com, is buying a Topeak Alien 4-5 years ago, so I have no idea what their CS/policies are like.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I have those bar ends i just got some but in black and i love them even though i haven't ridden yet. I've got all my new shlt on my bike including new sram 9.0sl stuff i kinda wish i got the halfpipe shifters though.

Nice bike BB:thumb:
the half pipes are sweet. i've always used sram on my bikes so i was used to the shorter original shifter before i went to the halfpipe's. i really didn't think i'd like the halfpipes but they were givin to me by sram so i figured what the hell, try em out and if i don't like them i'll just sell them off to someone......well i liked them a LOT!!! allowed me to sit towards the end of the bar and/or on my bar ends and just barely move my hand to shift. i was scared like a lot of ppl were that i might accidently shift a lot w/ them.....well if you have ever ridden gripshift you know not to put the death grip on them and jerk around (something you really shouldn't do anyways) or else you are going to "miss shift." i received a pair of the shorties last year and threw them on my bike and tried them out once again just to see if i'd be able to ride those again.....well i liked the half pipes a bit to much lol. i rode maybe half the season on the shorties before i went back to the halfpipes.