Quantcast

Just came in...2009 E13 LG1+

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
And is is a beauty. Thanks to Philip for the help and super quick shipping as usual.

It is very light and super simple. So much nicer than the 2008 LG1 in my opinion.

Just got it installed on the 303R with the 40T for right now so I will get some ride time tomorrow. The guide will be set up with a 36t for the season.

The 36t LG1+ weighs in at 181g per Jason from Sicklines.com Also look out for a full in-depth review of the new LG1 at www.sicklines.com

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey Rufus,
Glad to see you got the guide alright....now I second the notion of bike shots!

I know the two main American distributors should have these up for grabs within a day or two...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Hey Rufus,

I know the two main American distributors should have these up for grabs within a day or two...
On bike pics. Looks like I might need to rotate the guide forward a bit, what do you think Philip?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
yeah, def needs to be rotated some. Was it easier to set up then the last model LG1 guide? Looks like it.
Much easier to set up than the 08 model. The nuts on the old model were enough to make you stab someone if you had the guide on the frame already and the BB area was pretty burly.

Looks good to me!
So what, do you just jam sticks in your cranks and ride away?
Pedals are on the trail bike right now and I was too lazy to put them on for a pic. Still waiting on the new pedals for the 303R.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Nice! Been eyeing these up since I first seen 'em!

Thing is it's now a really hard choice between new SRS and LG1+? Choosing the LG1 was easy last year for a couple of reasons (weight and the LG1's ability to deal with mud) but now I'm having doubts after mashing my LG1 back plate this weekend, the taco was relatively unscathed and went back on my spare plate with some persuasion but the back plate bent to the extent it was jamming the chain in between the rear roller and swingarm making it hard to pedal. No doubt it done its job pretty well and I'm impressed but I'm wondering how an SRS would have coped with the same hit? Hell it might have wrecked my cranks! And thus which guide to choose for '09? How strong are the new taco's/bashguards?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

Thing is it's now a really hard choice between new SRS and LG1+? Choosing the LG1 was easy last year for a couple of reasons (weight and the LG1's ability to deal with mud) but now I'm having doubts after mashing my LG1 back plate this weekend, the taco was relatively unscathed and went back on my spare plate with some persuasion but the back plate bent to the extent it was jamming the chain in between the rear roller and swingarm making it hard to pedal. No doubt it done its job pretty well and I'm impressed but I'm wondering how an SRS would have coped with the same hit? Hell it might have wrecked my cranks! And thus which guide to choose for '09? How strong are the new taco's/bashguards?

That is exactly the reason that I ran the SRS in the past. This new LG1+ design is probably exactly what you are looking for though. It resolves all of the issues with the older model LG1 and is lighter and more sturdy. Not to mention the taco sits closer to your chainring so it protects it even more. You really cannot go wrong either way, but I doubt you will run into those same problems again with this new guide.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
i dunno what it is, i am still just to scared to have a force of 200lbs landing on a rock from 5-6ft up directly onto that bashguard that is bolted to my frame by 3 tiny bolts.. (i say this cuz i've done it w/ my srs) so i wouldnt want to wreck my frame. Looks pimp tho, ill be running a new srs soon!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
That is exactly the reason that I ran the SRS in the past. This new LG1+ design is probably exactly what you are looking for though. It resolves all of the issues with the older model LG1 and is lighter and more sturdy. Not to mention the taco sits closer to your chainring so it protects it even more. You really cannot go wrong either way, but I doubt you will run into those same problems again with this new guide.
Thanks for the info Hank...

I ran an LG1 because I keep bending cranks using an SRS... But then I bend the LG1 backplate instead.

At least the backplate can be bent back in a pinch (on the old one at least) and is way cheaper to replace than a crank.

Good to have options, and can't go wrong with either.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Devinci Wilsons have a very cunning replacable ISCG bit:

* splines machined around the BB shell
* ISCG part slots onto the splines
* tightening BB up holds it in place

Bingo, no worry about damaging frame.

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
Hey Rufus,

Any idea when they should be available in Canada? Especially the black one?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
RUFUS it actually looks like your guide is rotated to just about where it is supposed to be. In fact the upper arm is supposed to be in the 11' o'clock position so you may even be able to rotate it counter-clockwise a touch. If you do this then I would use the narrow position for the lower arm and put more tension on the chain. If you have not taken off the lower arm yet I do recomend it. Weagle has got some pretty cool stuff going on in there.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
RUFUS it actually looks like your guide is rotated to just about where it is supposed to be. In fact the upper arm is supposed to be in the 11' o'clock position so you may even be able to rotate it counter-clockwise a touch. If you do this then I would use the narrow position for the lower arm and put more tension on the chain. If you have not taken off the lower arm yet I do recomend it. Weagle has got some pretty cool stuff going on in there.
Thanks man. It just looked wrong but I will look it over again and see how it rides.

Trust me, I pretty much raped this thing when it came in. Such an amazing improvement and details on the new one. I have been very impressed so far with the 09 SRS so I am sure that this one will be just the same.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Massive splines, never going to happen, not in a million years. Think of it like the way a spider splines onto a middleburn or old XTR crank, as opposed to centerlock/ISIS etc.
Could you ge a picture of this?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That guide looks killer. I was thinking your orientation was spot on actually. If you sit into the sag, I think the chain would feed straight into the upper guide...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911

That is freaking brilliant!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I used to be pretty heavy on the G2 when it first came out, then I rode teh Gamuts. I think I'll try out one fo the new LG1's on my new bike as it looks GREAT!

Rufus: How many pairs of shorts have you ripped with the death spikes on the back of that Inform RL saddle? I've had more complaints from both myself and many many customers on that. It's great that Trek offered the comfort guarantee on it, everyone I know used it. I still have one kicking about though.

-Kevin

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I believe it works perfectly. Backplate is beautiful. But...
Taco looks chunky, too chunky IMO.
It's heavier than it was told... as far as I remember, it was going to be 160-170g. Yes, 30g is nothing, but ;)
Price tag... 150$ right? And in Europe probably 150eur :|
I like latest MRP with CF backplate... but it's no cheap, either.

What do you think about that?
170g, good materials, less than 100$
http://badone.eu/napinacz/IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I believe it works perfectly. Backplate is beautiful. But...
Taco looks chunky, too chunky IMO.
It's heavier than it was told... as far as I remember, it was going to be 160-170g. Yes, 30g is nothing, but ;)
Price tag... 150$ right? And in Europe probably 150eur :|
I like latest MRP with CF backplate... but it's no cheap, either.
You are comparing the weight of the 40T size to the 36T size. The 36T size Lg1+ is even lighter.

BTW, the whole taco weighs about 58g. I'm not sure that it could be much "less chunky" Even if I shaved 10% of the weight off somewhere, that would only be 5.8 grams!! :)

What do you think about that?
170g, good materials, less than 100$
http://badone.eu/napinacz/IMG_1567.JPG
It's easy to sell something for cheaper when you don't pay a penny to develop the idea or pay for the patents associated with it.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

A big part of the idea behind the new Turbocharger and the direct mount bashguard is the impact absorbing design. It's an idea that we've obviously been working on for years, basically an improvement on our original idea of using polycarbonate to absorb impact instead of a rigid aluminum bashguard. The turbocharger and taco are RIDICULOUSLY strong for their weight, plus, they help to limit the amount of impact force that goes into the crankarm or backplate. Also, the bashguard won't bend into your chainring either. They definitely have a different "feel" compared to anything before them when you bash into something, almost like you have a really tiny shock absorber on the bashguard.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

The brilliance of Erick Auger there. A seriously great piece of design work IMO. I've tried to convince a lot of frame builders to follow Devinci's lead on this one.

Dave

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

The Sinister Gruitr and the new Sinister F-bomb has the same thing. Ingenious idea.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I used to be pretty heavy on the G2 when it first came out, then I rode teh Gamuts. I think I'll try out one fo the new LG1's on my new bike as it looks GREAT!

Rufus: How many pairs of shorts have you ripped with the death spikes on the back of that Inform RL saddle? I've had more complaints from both myself and many many customers on that. It's great that Trek offered the comfort guarantee on it, everyone I know used it. I still have one kicking about though.

-Kevin
I haven't had one problem with the saddle but I ride in Royal race shorts so they are a little more burly than XC shorts.
I have had this saddle on my DH rigs for about a year and have really enjoyed it, as much as you can for a saddle on a DH bike. It is an incredibly uncomfortable saddle though and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that uses the saddle on a lengthy occasion.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey guys,
I just thought I'd post up a link to the instructions just so that everyone can take a peek. It isn't a high quality PDF, but here we go...

lg1-01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3626/3467970543_34e214668b_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3467970543@@AMEPARAM@@34e214668b

lg1-02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/3467970665_8cc9b89819_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3467970665@@AMEPARAM@@8cc9b89819

Having had a good bit of ride time on the new design, for 58g this taco is super burly.

The ISCG spline idea is pretty awesome as well.

-philip

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a question about this design, and the rollers. If I wanted to install a smaller chainring, say a 34 or 32 tooth, would it still work, or would the rollers (top and bottom) be pulling the chain up off the chainring.

I'm using a cheap road cogset now and find that I don't need a 38 tooth ring. I wouldn't mind trying a 34 ring. I need a new chain retention device too so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Oh, and any news when this will (or is) be available in Canada?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have a question about this design, and the rollers. If I wanted to install a smaller chainring, say a 34 or 32 tooth, would it still work, or would the rollers (top and bottom) be pulling the chain up off the chainring.

I'm using a cheap road cogset now and find that I don't need a 38 tooth ring. I wouldn't mind trying a 34 ring. I need a new chain retention device too so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Oh, and any news when this will (or is) be available in Canada?

The version pictured will fit anything from a 36 to a 40 tooth ring. The smaller version fits 32 to 36 tooth rings. They have just shipped to US distributors, I would expect Canadian shipments to be very soon if they have not started. Of course, it will take a week or so for products to make it to your LBS once the distributor sees them.

As for the euro guide posted.....looks very home made (lots of corners cut)to me. Non coutersunk mounting bolts means you will need to cut off you granny tabs...something completely un needed with flat countersunk bolts. UHMWPE (I am guessing) has some neat properties (self lubrication low friction), but I am not sure it is the best material for the bash or the roller for several reasons (too hard for roller, to low modulus for the bash). The bash shape IMO needs some work as well. The outer 'corners' will catch, and the overall shape/structure has no triangulation to deal with fore-aft forces. Great for a home made part....not up to the quality or design of commercial products.

As for price, I think it is pretty impressive that the new versions of the E*13 guides are the same as the old versions (big investment in moulding!) as well as their competetors that are using much less expensive mfg processes.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
You are comparing the weight of the 40T size to the 36T size. The 36T size Lg1+ is even lighter.

BTW, the whole taco weighs about 58g. I'm not sure that it could be much "less chunky" Even if I shaved 10% of the weight off somewhere, that would only be 5.8 grams!! :)

It's easy to sell something for cheaper when you don't pay a penny to develop the idea or pay for the patents associated with it.
Nope, it's adjustable 36-40t. But, with 38t "taco"...
Anyway, I just liked first Taco better. Saving 10% of Taco weight and possibly compromising durability does not make sense, indeed.
I've been using customized SRS for 2-3 year and I can't say one bad word about it. I just can't afford LG1+ at the moment :(

Last edited: