Quantcast

Just cuz no one checks the Snowboard forum

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Anyone use or have experience with that new Boa lacing system for boots?
Is it a standard that boot manufacturers adopt? Secondly I first saw this on a DC boot and it looked like a cool idea but what about the life span of those wires...more importantly what is the lifespan of the plastic rings they route through? Will the wire eventually cut its way through?

More specifically I'm looking at the Vans Contra model.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
The boa system is off the chain for sure. Just turn the dial so no more hot spots or chafed hand from dealing with laces. Check out DC's boots, Solomon, and Vans.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I think it was K2 that had a similar design that was renowned for cable failure several years ago. I had several shops talk me out of them. That being said, a lot can change in 3 years. It looks like they're using the lacing system for everything now: snowboard boots, hockey skates, bike shoes, horse boots, etc. It also seems that all the major snowboard boot companies have a Boa offering. That tells me they've figured out the flaws in the design. I don't know about the cable guides, but if I was in the market for new boots, I don't think I'd hesitate to buy boots with a Boa closure.

http://www.boatechnology.com/

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Great question... Been looking into new boots and the DCs with the BOA system felt damn good.

After checking the company's website I would have no problem put faith in their lacing system. If they are into that many sports and able to customize the closure accordingly for each application I think they seem pretty solid.

If the lacing system is solid enough for a a top shelf hockey skate I think it should be rugged enough for snowboard boots. I know some may argue that I am comparing apples to oranges but I know that my hockey skates are usually beat down after one hard season of working the corners and my snowboard boots last for at least 3 seasons.

All for now.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
The Boa system is used only on CCM's entry level kids skate. Because parents were sick of lacing the kids skates every day.

No self respecting NHL'er would use this crap. I know I play with 5 guys 3 times a week.