Quantcast

just getting started

tbreed725

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
south east TN
just found the forum havent been on a bike in probably 5 to 8 years looking for a good decent bike should i get a used bike off of craigslist or go with a new bike ?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Welcome! Do you plan on riding on the road or offroad? Craigslist is always a good place to start. I recommend you find some links to potential bikes and post them on here. Someone is always willing to offer their 2-cents on the bike.

Redbeard

Chimp
Jan 13, 2010
If you're unsure what kind of bike to look for, ask folks in your area that ride the trails you plan to ride.
Craigslist can have some good deals from folks that have bikes gathering dust in their garage. I've seen plenty of posts that say things like 'ridden once or twice' for what that's worth. The drawback of course to used bikes is lack of selection; but again, there are good deals out there. How good of a deal a bike that's seen a good bit of trail use depends on how well it was maintained. In other words, do you know what to look for (signs of wear)?
Buying new has advantages also: better selection plus advice and support from the shop (hopefully you have a good shop local to you). A shop will make sure your new bike fits you properly, though you can do that yourself easily if you're familiar with bikes. Most shops also offer 1 or more tune-ups of a new bike, which is nice. And you may still be able to find a deal on a leftover 2009 model.

Last edited:

rollerbot

Chimp
May 10, 2008
Check the local pawn shops out a lotta times you will find a great deal. If you found one already still ck them. They sometimes dont have a clue whats a good bike or not. Have fun ride as much as you can. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've seen some nice bikes on craigslist as well so it's a good starting point for sure. You could also check with a Local Bike Shop (LBS) and see if there are any clubs that you can hook up with. Some of them may have a forum or place where members buy/sell bikes & parts.

Enjoy!

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Check the local pawn shops out a lotta times you will find a great deal. If you found one already still ck them. They sometimes dont have a clue whats a good bike or not. Have fun ride as much as you can. :)
I don't want to hate on anyone here, but please don't buy from pawn shops, all you're doing is supporting bicycle thieves.