Quantcast

Just got my first non-department store bike

intermision

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
Texas
I needed a bike for commuting around campus and going on trails. After looking around I decided to get an '06 Giant boulder SE. I love the way it rides, its so much better than the bikes I used to ride.

Attachments

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
intermision said:
I got that covered, I have a Kryptonite U lock.
nice bike. u need something other that a u lock. you need a cable lock, a long one that can go through both wheels and the frame than to a immoveable object. people will take your wheels of the bike if they are not locked to it!

intermision

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
Texas
mastercycleman said:
a dfinate no go on the u-lock, unless you get some of those nifty quick releases, where you can remove the lever, they should make those for XC cause wouldt it save a gram or two:)
Sorry for my newbiness, but what do you mean?

He is talking about the lever that releases the tire. He is suggesting you buy the kind that you can remove the lever while the wheel remains on bike and nobody can steal your tires and rims.
Simplest way is to just buy a chain lock as suggested earlier that will secure the rims as well as the bike.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Cable lock? You need an ARMED GUARD on any school campus in America! But if our country got sick and tired of people stealing and hacking, computer fishing, identity theft and computer viruses and started HACKING off the hands of people that do these types of crimes, I think that the criminals considering doing it would be left with a choice of a masterbating with two stubs, or leaving the bike alone, just then, they might stop stealing bikes, identities and making viruses! Just my opinion.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Just a further note for all to know, as a deterant, there is ALWAYS that proverbial ASSH0LE who comes by your bike and thinks it's funny to steal your seat. Aka some PR/CK who thinks it's funny that you'll have to ride home without a seat... or the crack pipe moron who wants five bucks for your seat and seat post.

So I circumvent this by doing this. Your seat post sticks out a slight bit at the bottom. Drill a small hole through the seat post and twist with a pliers a coat hanger through the hole. Snip it off at the ends and when the moron comes up and undoes your seat clamp, he'll realize he can't pull off your seat as it wont go come up through the frame hole with the coat hanger ring on the end.

Also, it pays to get a pair of Rolfe skewers. WHY? because they have holes in them too that you can twist a coat hanger through the skewer and around your fork and your rear frame to prevent someone from pulling out the skewer and taking off your rims while your bike frame is locked up. Most people stealing a bike are prepared and have tools but the extra time it takes to go through the trouble of twisting off the coat hanger ties or cutting them make them suspicious and they won't bother. They want FAST QUICK AND EASY.

If you have a bike tool and ever need to service your bike on the trail, then simply cut it there or twist it off with your bike wrench tool...

Just a tip I use to prevent John Q. Dikhed from ruining your day!

Hope that's helpfull.