Quantcast

Just ordered "The Big Ring"

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
and people complain about the markups in the bike biz... :rolleyes:
Jewelry prices are INSANE!!!!! The best thing to do for people to is go to the Jewelry Marts, all you need is a resale license to get in so a lot of people can work something out this a friend or boss who has one to get in. You can get fairly close to wholesale, and a nicer selection then you'd find in the mall jewelers.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
The lady I bought my wife's ring from told me to bring an old P.O.S. ring with me so she could ship that one to my house and I could carry the engagement ring home. :)

Baboon 1, Tax Man 0.

Narlus, I never did see that flick.
Brilliant!!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:

I like this one from Blue Nile with .5 carrat diamond about 3k.
Only problem with that setting is that it encloses the diamond reducing the amount of light getting into the stone. Anything other than a perfectly cut stone will look dull in that setting, even then it won't look as brilliant as the same stone with a more open setting.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, actually my post should read "Baboon 1, Tax Man 4,277"
is that the amount you saved or the amount of times you've won.

I had my bike shipped to NJ which saved me about 150$.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
is that the amount you saved or the amount of times you've won.

I had my bike shipped to NJ which saved me about 150$.
That 4277 is a number I pulled out of my ass that is indicative of the number of times I have gotten scewed by the tax man. My point is, I won this battle but I am still losing the war. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Jewelry prices are INSANE!!!!! The best thing to do for people to is go to the Jewelry Marts, all you need is a resale license to get in so a lot of people can work something out this a friend or boss who has one to get in. You can get fairly close to wholesale, and a nicer selection then you'd find in the mall jewelers.
Hey Brian,
I am heading to downtown L.A. to get the GF a ring next week... any advice? I am looking for a white gold ring with blue sapphire center stone. Maybe some white sapphires on the side. No diamonds, she doesn't want em. I am a total n00b when it comes to jewelry and I just know I am gonna get screwed!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
That 4277 is a number I pulled out of my ass that is indicative of the number of times I have gotten scewed by the tax man. My point is, I won this battle but I am still losing the war. :D
Oh right, it's probably way higher than 4277 though... :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ciaran said:
Hey Brian,
I am heading to downtown L.A. to get the GF a ring next week... any advice? I am looking for a white gold ring with blue sapphire center stone. Maybe some white sapphires on the side. No diamonds, she doesn't want em. I am a total n00b when it comes to jewelry and I just know I am gonna get screwed!
Start your search and education now, go to the good local jewelry places as if you were buying from them and ask you questions, then do the same at a few other places to check on the info you were given. Then you'll also get an idea on base prices and then you can go from there. When it comes down to making the purchase it helps to know what you're looking at and talking about.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
GD! Engagement rings sure have gone up. $3k would have bought me a 1 carrat back in the day.

Cool looking ring though.
Just the ring is expensive 900$.

It says it's for a more active lifestyle. I just thought it was different.

I won't be wearing a wedding ring when I get married though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
Just the ring is expensive 900$.

It says it's for a more active lifestyle. I just thought it was different.

I won't be wearing a wedding ring when I get married though.
more active lifestyle. if yr gonna be mountain climbing, take the damn thing off.

what's yr aversion to wedding rings?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
more active lifestyle. if yr gonna be mountain climbing, take the damn thing off.

what's yr aversion to wedding rings?
I don't wear jewlery, rings are jewlery and the worst kind.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
worse than yr prince albert? :think:

i'm not a jewelry fan either (i cringe when i see guys wearing heavy gold link bracelets), but a simple wedding ring i have no problem w/ . i wanted it light, though, so that's why i went w/ titanium. and it was a lot cheaper too.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
BikeGeek said:
Only problem with that setting is that it encloses the diamond reducing the amount of light getting into the stone. Anything other than a perfectly cut stone will look dull in that setting, even then it won't look as brilliant as the same stone with a more open setting.
That bezel is similar to my wife's. You definitely need a very high quality rock to pull it off, but in a platinum half-bezel setting, that sucker blinds me. My wife gets compliments ALL THE TIME on her ring because it is so unusual. It was done in-house and custom designed from elements of several other ones.

Now don't laugh at my paint attempt, but it looks kind of like this except the band is much thicker and blockier...perhaps half a cm thick all the way around. It has very clean, modern lines. The sapphires are flush mounted but the backs have trapezoidal cuts to allow the light to pass through the stones.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
i wanted it light, though, so that's why i went w/ titanium. and it was a lot cheaper too.
I did the same thing. I don't even notice that I'm wearing it. Besides, in the world of mtn biking, titanium is a precious metal.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
I don't wear jewlery, rings are jewlery and the worst kind.
Yeah, is your girlfriend aware of this?

It's just a ring, dude. You don't even notice it's there. I like wearing mine. MBC gets pissed because I don't take it off for anything. I'd wear it biking and working out if she didn't give me crap for it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, is your girlfriend aware of this?

It's just a ring, dude. You don't even notice it's there. I like wearing mine. MBC gets pissed because I don't take it off for anything. I'd wear it biking and working out if she didn't give me crap for it.
Ya know thats a good point. She knows I don't wear jewlery so I just assumed.... I always seem to get myself in trouble for assuming things....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'd bet twenty bucks that if anyone who claims to hate jewelry and rings in particular, actually wore a ring nonstop for six months, you wouldn't even notice it was there.

The only reason people don't like 'em is because they feel weird at first, and then you start taking it off all the time since it feels strange... Just wear it. Wear it in the shower, and to bed, and to work, and everywhere else - only take it off when you might damage it. After a while, you won't even notice it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the only thing i don't like about (other than the fact that hot nubile chicks steer clear of me...at least i think that's the reason :think: ) is that bar soap gets stuck under it when you wash yr hands.

i really should remember to take it off when i ride, but i usually forget.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
biggins said:
put it in a cup cake. when she eats it and bites down on something hard she'll see it and be like whoooooooaaaaaa!then she'll give ya all the "O" face you can handle. Or in the bottom of a glass of wine.
Yeah! Yeah, do that! That's not a washed up cliche of a proposal! And be sure you take her to dinner some place insanely expensive where you'd never dream of going and make sure you wear a suit! Tell her to wear her best dress...she'll never guess!

heheheh...sorry Biggins...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
I'd bet twenty bucks that if anyone who claims to hate jewelry and rings in particular, actually wore a ring nonstop for six months, you wouldn't even notice it was there.

The only reason people don't like 'em is because they feel weird at first, and then you start taking it off all the time since it feels strange... Just wear it. Wear it in the shower, and to bed, and to work, and everywhere else - only take it off when you might damage it. After a while, you won't even notice it.
What's the reason to wear jewlery in the first place?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
stosh said:
What's the reason to wear jewlery in the first place?
Pay attention at the next wedding you go to...the original reason behind wearing a ring was a symbol of ones love...since a ring is a circle...and a circle is never ending, it is a symbol of eternal love.

Also to keep the hounds or houndettes away...sometimes a ring works...sometimes it doesn't...

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
BurlyShirley said:
What in god's name does a $3500 ring do that a $200 one dont? Sparkle? **** that. Im usually not one to harp on tradition, but what people pay for jewelry litterally drives me crazy. That is insane for something that does nothing. Not bagging on you, cause that's just the way it is, but g-zus, its some metal with a rock in it. :help:
Funny. I squealed at $1300 for both rings (mine included). I know someone that spent at least that on a "travel" ring. One you take on trips, obviously. My wife and I are not as cultured. Now my wife wears a $60 gold band (cause the diamond on other one was getting in the way). We affectionately call the $60 band the "travel" ring. Hey, cool location BTW. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
dh girlie said:
Pay attention at the next wedding you go to...the original reason behind wearing a ring was a symbol of ones love...since a ring is a circle...and a circle is never ending, it is a symbol of eternal love.

Also to keep the hounds or houndettes away...sometimes a ring works...sometimes it doesn't...
Will you marry me?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Greyhound said:
Woah.....that was a trip. Just ordered an engagement ring from Blue Nile. It was hard, hard, hard to push the "Complete Order" button, but it will be worth it to see her face when she gets it. Girlie has hung in there tough with me for long enough and deserves her props. I'm kinda jittery right now just thinking about it........fuh-eveh-evah?

Care to share any engagement experiences? I haven't solidified anything as far as proposals are concerned.....any sugestions?
that's rad my fellow bo-bo shoes brother!

i proposed to my wife long distance(well, at least gave her the ring, proposed in person before i left), me in socal, her in florida. i had her friends help me out by doing a video scavenger hunt. she had to go to a bunch of different stores in the mall and ask prescribed stupid questions to get the next clue. had her run all over town and the ring was in the car the whole time. i had her friends videotape the whole thing, it was so funny and well worth it.