BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Greyhound said:
Cripes!! 1.5 carat?
They're the only big stones she gets from Brian. :D

Brian: :p
Buying from someone like Blue Nile is easier than you would think, if you educate yourself and give yourself enough time to do it properly. I knew exactly what I wanted for my wife and I was sick to death of every shop I went to, and I went to dozens, trying to talk me into something bigger because "the size of the stone is the most important quality." I went to BN and found a colorless, flawless stone, with an ideal cut close to the size she was interested in and bought it. They have a no-questions, 30-day return policy. The first thing I did was take it to a reputable gemologist for an appraisel. His first words when he looked at it though the loop were "wow, what an exceptional stone." He finished the appraisel (higher than I paid) then I showed him the certificate that came with the stone and asked if this is the stone he just looked at. He confirmed it was and I was on my way. I don't think I would have ever accepted BN at their word, getting an independent 3rd party appraisel/confirmation is the only way to go. If it's not what you thought it was when you bought it, you can always return it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BikeGeek said:

Brian: :p
Buying from someone like Blue Nile is easier than you would think, if you educate yourself and give yourself enough time to do it properly. I knew exactly what I wanted for my wife and I was sick to death of every shop I went to, and I went to dozens, trying to talk me into something bigger because "the size of the stone is the most important quality." I went to BN and found a colorless, flawless stone, with an ideal cut close to the size she was interested in and bought it. They have a no-questions, 30-day return policy. The first thing I did was take it to a reputable gemologist for an appraisel. His first words when he looked at it though the loop were "wow, what an exceptional stone." He finished the appraisel (higher than I paid) then I showed him the certificate that came with the stone and asked if this is the stone he just looked at. He confirmed it was and I was on my way. I don't think I would have ever accepted BN at their word, getting an independent 3rd party appraisel/confirmation is the only way to go. If it's not what you thought it was when you bought it, you can always return it.
LOL :cool: I wan't putting BN down, it's just hard for me to spend a lot of money and not seeing what I'm buying first hand. I'm glad BN seems like a good company that backs there products, and getting it appraised when you get it is also good. Make sure you get a Jewelry floater on you home insurance policy, that will cover the ring if its ever stolen.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Brian HCM#1 said:
LOL :cool: I wan't putting BN down, it's just hard for me to spend a lot of money and not seeing what I'm buying first hand. I'm glad BN seems like a good company that backs there products, and getting it appraised when you get it is also good. Make sure you get a Jewelry floater on you home insurance policy, that will cover the ring if its ever stolen.
Believe me, it was hard to hit that submit button once I saw the bottom line. My largest internet purchase up to that time had been a $100 bargain bin super closeout Supergo frame. The only thing that kept me calm with the stone purchase was the return policy.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Congrats on the purchase, Greyhound. :)

I bought my wife's ring in NYC. I probably saved 40% by buying in NYC than buying locally. It's a 1.01 carat diamond on a platinum band with 14 5 point diamonds built into the band (1.51 carats total). I was nervous as hell buying the thing and was sweating pretty bad when I was finalizing the purchase. I was actually sick from stress the week leading up to it. It's a very stressful event. Based on the responses in this thread, I'll omit what I paid for it. :think: The way I see it, if you can afford it, why the hell not? :)

Editted to add pic

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow, I haven't looked at this thread, figuring it was a bunch of "congratulations" posts.

Good info about diamonds - I've heard good stuff about BN and actually I visited their site when they were just getting started on the 'net. Since then, their site has expanded considerably.

For those who think all diamonds look the same... Go into a quality jewelry store some time with some patience and the ability to tell the sales people to go f**k themselves when they start to pressure you. Any good jewelry store will educate you on diamonds without the expectation that you will buy on the spot - if they won't, move on to another store.

I can assure you, all diamonds do NOT look the same.

I think you can confidently shop online for anything that can be reduced to numbers. Diamonds can be reduced to numbers - the four C's (color, clarity, cut, carats). I agree that seeing it yourself is invaluable, which is why they have a return policy. Hell, even if you have to eat the shipping costs - it's not like the gem is gonna weigh ten pounds (unless you're Brian :D ).

As far as costs go... What's the problem? If you spend $500 on a ring and spend the balance on vacation, great - I see the logic. If you spend $4500 on a ring, there's nothing wrong with that either - it's something that she'll wear for the rest of her life. That's not such a bad deal, and it's the route I will take when (if? ;)) the day comes.

Anyhow, congratulations again Greyhound. Maybe when I get my butt down to N.C., we can hook up for a ride and I can see this beautiful gem myself ! :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
unless she insists on a later upgrade. :eviltongu
Hmm... You sound a little bitter about that... A little personal experience, perhaps? :think:

:p

My girlfriend's dad bought her mom a "ring slip" - something I've never seen before. It's a very thin band with stones mounted on it that sides on her finger and fits over the engagement ring, so it looks like it was part of the original ring. Apparently you can get them fused onto the original ring if you want.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Tie it to the saddle/handlebars of the bike you buy this afternoon - she won't even flinch at the purchase of a new bike if it's got a ring attached to it. This will only work though if she knows the ring is for her and the bike is for you. If she thinks the bike is for her too, it could backfire...

Kinda like that dodge commercial, where the guy goes to pick up ther dresser thing and sees the motorcycle for sale on the way home...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Hmm... You sound a little bitter about that... A little personal experience, perhaps? :think:

:p
i realized it came out that way after i posted it, but no - the wife is fine w/ the original.

although hints of a tennis bracelet keep popping up w/ alarming frequency. :blah:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the problem is that they are a b!tchload of $. once you get some young ones, you'll see where the weekly check goes.

and i think she's cool w/ waiting until the 15th anniversary, so i've got a few years to save up.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Believe it or not I got engaged this summer. :)
He took a ring out of my jewlery box and took my sister downtown to build the setting.
He did it on my birthday so I didn't have a clue.
Took me to our favorite byob Italian cafe. We always toast each other at the end of dinner and he went into a speech about how I'm his best friend and that he can't wait for me to be his wife... mother to our kids etc and popped the question. I had no idea and it didn't register at first. lol Very romantic
(I had a LOT of wine b/c it was my bday... probably a little more wasted than I would have liked on my engagment day..LOL) When he told me what him and my sister did I started to cry and couldn't stop (freaking wine). I'm not really a cryer...
Everyone in my family knew and were waiting at my mom's ( I have a big family )
THEN My brother and sister were like "We have to get a drink at the pub!"
I didn't want to b/c I was having so much fun at my mom's.
We walked in and about 50 of our friends were there. They all cheered and it was like a movie. It was SO MUCH FUN. I'll never forget it and I feel so lucky to have him, my family, and great circle of friends.
It was one of the bestest day's ever.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Greyhound said:
Thanks everyone!

BlueNile.com----> It's an online diamond merchant. Great deals and everything is on the level. Recommended by Forbes, Consumer Reports, etc. Easy folks to deal with. They also provide financing through MBNA credit.

I've had about five beers in the last hour to offset the sticker shock. :help:

I heard Blue Nile is reputable and a lot of my friends have rings from there.

CONGRATS by the way. I told my own story and didn't even congratulate you! It's all about ME.
j/k
Best of luck.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
iresmoke1 said:
Believe it or not I got engaged this summer. :)
He took a ring out of my jewlery box and took my sister downtown to build the setting.
He did it on my birthday so I didn't have a clue.
Took me to our favorite byob Italian cafe. We always toast each other at the end of dinner and he went into a speech about how I'm his best friend and that he can't wait for me to be his wife... mother to our kids etc and popped the question. I had no idea and it didn't register at first. lol Very romantic
(I had a LOT of wine b/c it was my bday... probably a little more wasted than I would have liked on my engagment day..LOL) When he told me what him and my sister did I started to cry and couldn't stop (freaking wine). I'm not really a cryer...
Everyone in my family knew and were waiting at my mom's ( I have a big family )
THEN My brother and sister were like "We have to get a drink at the pub!"
I didn't want to b/c I was having so much fun at my mom's.
We walked in and about 50 of our friends were there. They all cheered and it was like a movie. It was SO MUCH FUN. I'll never forget it and I feel so lucky to have him, my family, and great circle of friends.
It was one of the bestest day's ever.
I thought you weren't dating anybody?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
BikeGeek said:
Dooooohhhhh! Overcompensating, eh? ;)

I would never buy a diamond that big; they look so nouveau riche. I would rather get an investment quality stone with a world-class cut half that size and get it set in a spectacular custom band(esp. of platinum or black hills gold). Giant stones in tiny settings just look Liberace gaudy if ya ask me...not that anyone did. :p

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Greyhound said:
Hey Shirley.....I agree completely. When visiting some of the strip malls and independant jewelers, the most common statement I got from the salespeople were "Well....you DO love your girlfriend, don't you?" And my response to them everytime was "Look.....the size of the ring doesn't indicate how much I love my girlfriend. You guys are trying to sell me on guilt, and I ain't buyin' it." With an online merchant, you don't have to deal with that crap. $3500 or $200....she still would have been happy. But, when you get to this point, Shirley, you'll see that a little bling will go a loooong way towards keeping the ship on an even keel. You'll understand one day.

Your so awesome! No the ring doesn't matter in the long run but she'll appreciate it and I'm sure she deserves it and you can look at her hand and know that you did good!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Congrats on the purchase, Greyhound. :)

I bought my wife's ring in NYC. I probably saved 40% by buying in NYC than buying locally. It's a 1.01 carat diamond on a platinum band with 14 5 point diamonds built into the band (1.51 carats total). I was nervous as hell buying the thing and was sweating pretty bad when I was finalizing the purchase. I was actually sick from stress the week leading up to it. It's a very stressful event. Based on the responses in this thread, I'll omit what I paid for it. :think: The way I see it, if you can afford it, why the hell not? :)

Editted to add pic
See I think if I buy one I"ll go see the Jewish guys in the diamond district in NYC.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
iresmoke1 said:
lol
Three years darling.
Just cuz I'm in love doesn't mean I can't flirt :evil:
Yeah but what about the time you came up in Oct alone and we "hung out", that was just flirting?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
See I think if I buy one I"ll go see the Jewish guys in the diamond district in NYC.
I bought mine from some Chinese woman in the diamond district whom a friend of mine bought from. All her business was was a five foot display case in a room full of other dealers, but holy crap did she have a huge selection, and all her diamonds were certified. I said I wanted a platinum band, so she pulled out a drawer that had like 150 different platinum bands in it. Talk about overloading a stressed mind. :dead:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
is it safe?
The diamond district? It's right in the middle of Manhattan, just as safe (or not safe) as the rest of the island. But they are all legitimate dealers. It's like the NYSE of the jewelry industry, only anyone can shop there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I bought mine from some Chinese woman in the diamond district whom a friend of mine bought from. All her business was was a five foot display case in a room full of other dealers, but holy crap did she have a huge selection, and all her diamonds were certified. I said I wanted a platinum band, so she pulled out a drawer that had like 150 different platinum bands in it. Talk about overloading a stressed mind. :dead:
I have a lot of friends who have gone to dealers down there. Actually seeing as how I live in the Jewish Alps there are a lot of local dealers who also have stores in the Diamond District in NYC.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
The diamond district? It's right in the middle of Manhattan, just as safe (or not safe) as the rest of the island. But they are all legitimate dealers. It's like the NYSE of the jewelry industry, only anyone can shop there.
:think:

no one got my _marathon man_ reference...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
llkoolkeg said:
Another hint: buy in person and have it shipped out of state to dodge the tax man...or buy in DE or a state that doesn't have luxury or sales taxes.
Hrmmmm not a bad suggestion.... man the TAX in NYC must be pretty high too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
llkoolkeg said:
Dooooohhhhh! Overcompensating, eh? ;)

I would never buy a diamond that big; they look so nouveau riche. I would rather get an investment quality stone with a world-class cut half that size and get it set in a spectacular custom band(esp. of platinum or black hills gold). Giant stones in tiny settings just look Liberace gaudy if ya ask me...not that anyone did. :p
Thats your choice, my wife is very simple, but I wanted something she could be proud of. I work my ass off to afford these things, and I think her ring looks awesome and not overly huge. A 1.5 carat stone is not as big as you may think it is.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
after you see it, you'll never think about going to the dentist the same way.
Ok.... I think Aubrey and me are laying low this weekend so maybe some old movies will be fitting.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats your choice, my wife is very simple, but I wanted something she could be proud of. I work my ass off to afford these things, and I think her ring looks awesome and not overly huge. A 1.5 carat stone is not as big as you may think it is.
I hear ya. Knowing how many G's I dropped on my wife's ring (.75 ct) with 2 recessed sapphire side stones, I gotta think a 1.5 of similar quality would have surely set me back well over 12 G's. Yeah, I could have dropped that kinda bread on it, but it seemed to both of us a bit overly indulgent. Perhaps in the right setting(thick bezel or half bezel), a 1.5 wouldn't look so over-the-top. Most people I've seen with rocks that size tend to skimp on the metal and go overboard with the stone.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
llkoolkeg said:
I hear ya. Knowing how many G's I dropped on my wife's ring (.75 ct) with 2 recessed sapphire side stones, I gotta think a 1.5 of similar quality would have surely set me back well over 12 G's. Yeah, I could have dropped that kinda bread on it, but it seemed to both of us a bit overly indulgent. Perhaps in the right setting(thick bezel or half bezel), a 1.5 wouldn't look so over-the-top. Most people I've seen with rocks that size tend to skimp on the metal and go overboard with the stone.
Like I said my dad is in the jewelry business so I get everything at wholesale which basicly ment I spent about $5K and have a ring thats worth between $14-16K. I just am fortunate to get that kind of deal:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
Like I said my dad is in the jewelry business so I get everything at wholesale which basicly ment I spent about $5K and have a ring thats worth between $14-16K. I just am fortunate to get that kind of deal:thumb:
and people complain about the markups in the bike biz... :rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
llkoolkeg said:
Another hint: buy in person and have it shipped out of state to dodge the tax man...or buy in DE or a state that doesn't have luxury or sales taxes.
The lady I bought my wife's ring from told me to bring an old P.O.S. ring with me so she could ship that one to my house and I could carry the engagement ring home. :)

Baboon 1, Tax Man 0.

Narlus, I never did see that flick.