Quantcast

Just wondering...what makes singlespeed appealing?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I just recently started trying it - and only did one trail ride so far on my Marin Ghettorigged SS - I like that it makes things challenging - old trails become new again. IT is quiet, simple, you just get on and pedal.

I've actually ridden the Marin around town and on road rides with more street oriented MTB tires on it and it is really fun.

However - I just bumped up to a 34T chainring from a 32 T and I can't get the chain length just right yet and it's frustrating the crap out of me right now.

But essentially SS is simple yet fun in my book.

I often think that I should work to build up a SS that utilizes some suspension up front and front disc or dual disc set up.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I wondered the same thing for years, it just didn't make sense to me. Then one day I tried a friend's singlespeed, and I loved it. I think it's the type of thing people are either going to like or not like. And if someone doesn't like it or doesn't understand why I like it, well that's ok too :p

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Finishing the ride and drinking all the beer before the poor deluded gearies get back to the parking lot.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's fun. you learn how to flow, and be consistent.

though, i think it also turns you into more of a masher.

riding rigid teaches you how to flow even more, and how to relax.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
So how much faster can you really go, like if there are some inclines and stuff I'd imagine its a real bear going up them, I could understand how it could be much faster on a fairly flat cross country type trail though.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
….The other side of single speeding…

(sigh)

Can't say I like or dislike single speeds too much however here is my two cents worth. I tried it on a converted to SS schwinn homegrown first with a surly chain tensioner and about killed my self doing a full speed sprint to catch some riders in front when the damn thing threw a chain well…I think you know what the result was. No matter what we did the crappy surly never kept the chain tight for an entire ride and I had more mystery drivetrain mechanicals that I ever did when I had gears on the bike.

Next was the soulcraft chain tensioner two rides in and another high speed OTB because the p.o.s. coulden’t keep the chain tight led me to try the ENO hub and another failure the hub no matter how tight we got it in the drop outs would slacken up over the course of a ride. Figuring that the SS gods had cursed me I stripped the bike down a sold it on eBay.

My spouse and I drove by a sun & ski “tent” sale one day and spied matching bianchi s.i.s.s bikes well…I’ve never been a fan of Steel bikes (I had a Rock Lobster SS bike also and hated the flexy “steel” ride) however I relented and got em’ that day. Yeah we had fun and I didn’t have to deal with the chain falling off however my first SS race ended in disaster when I got a flat (not the bikes fault) and ended up walking it out it woulda taken forever to change the rear and undo the disc-brake caliper and chain tensioners etc…etc…etc…once again frustration and a DNF did not make hello kitty a happy single speed camper.

I converted to stans tubeless to solve that problem but some how I just never rode the bike much anymore. We gotta bunch of riders here in Houston that have SS bikes and h-town has produced two Texas state SS champions tho’. What I liked about SS is the freedom of just grabbing your bike and going along with simplicity it’s just that I haven’t found one that I have fell in love with enough to ride over other bikes I own.

I did manage to get one of the very LAST titus riddler frames that can be built up as a SS or Geared but it’s just sitting in the garage waiting to be put together. Maybe I’ll get the SS fever again but right now I got other bikes id’ rather ride.

(whine over)

:nopity:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I picked up a KHS Solo-One in 03' I got it to use as a training tool and to keep my Klein for races by the end of the season I was racing the Solo-One so for 2004 I sold the Klein to build up a Surly Karate Monkey, I love it! and I recently sold the Solo-One to buy a pair of H-Bars, I am sold on SS'ing ot really helps your endurance and cadence. There are some steep climbs that give me some trouble but I find myself dismounting usually when its actually faster to walk anyway. :cool:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
SS is just hella fun. It takes out the image of what mountain bikes "should be" these days. No gears to hit, no cogs to clean, and no worry of shifting at the right time. You get on a pedal. I ride a fully rigid singlespeed with a rear brake. The bike is very light, responsive, and won't run up my bill for derailluers. I actually just got a new rigid fork for it tonight!

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
I like it because it’s more challenging, like its easy to just kind of mope around and switch into a lower gear. But you can't do that with a ss, it’s easier to ride hard and fast then it is to ride slow so you have to keep your cadence up. Its also just so much more simple, cheaper, lighter...you know all that other good stuff that everyone else said.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
animal 52 said:
I like SS because I can spend more time riding my bike, and less time working on it
For sure! I just came back to the states after five months abroad....hopped on the bike without touching anything(just made sure it would hold together and lubed it up).

It's simple, it's fun, and there is nothing extra to buy. It is a pain when you get into rolling hills and try to keep up with gearies or have long straight downhill, but that's it.

The Ito

MadMan2k

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
Aztec, New Mexico
Single speed sounds really appealing to me.. I'd love to have a SS dirtjump/urban/trials bike - I do almost all of my riding in one gear, and with a singlespeed, no chain drop (I hope), no shifters to smack my hand on if my hands are loose on a landing, less weight, better looking.. the only disadvantage I can think of is road riding, and I'd keep a geared bike for that.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA

Attachments

Nov 21, 2004
before i was riding a azonic ds-1 with gears and everything. shifter starts to break and derailer would of broken if i had a diff. type. i had a xtr. its crazy must have done 20 derailer grinds on it. well now i bought a geek house and running a bmx hub which is single speed. the best way to run single speed as i see is just a free wheel and a chain. singulators break once a week. there not made for street i found out. bending one and a derailer hanger. SS is awsome, durable,cheaper, and the way to go. also on my geek house i can run a peg :)

geekhousebikes.com

B

bigkonarider

I used to be a die hard SS rider. Here are some negatives about SS :
I DO NOT like clip pedals i hate them , & don't like horizontal dropouts at all. I feel better on a 5" Haro Extreme X.1 frame & 4" fork so i can rip it up on the rough & DH hard .An the aluminum hardtail BEATS my azz up & back !!Why even have a seat if you cannot use it hardly ...... I'll spend the money on FS/parts,i don't care !
I am planning on making the HARO Extreme X.1 frame a Singlespeed using a SS tensioner off my azz pounding hardtail.I'll just take the spring off the shock & see ?
I Plan on using a 36/22 or so, cause of the steep hills in E.Tennessee & extra weight of the bike & also platform pedals. It should be great i hope.
*No pods left & right /no cables/ cassette / big derailer hanging down in the rear & ghost shifting / & the pissy Chainsuck ! :thumb:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
GravityFreakTJ said:
That's why i got a EBB SS now,makes it very easy to set up.
hell yes! my SS mtb is an eccentric BB setup. brainless and painless way to go for tensioning.

i'd not go SS mtb without, at least not if building up a new bike with disc brakes.

i've got one of the white industries eccentric axle hubs on a road fixed gear; it's almost as easy.

B

bigkonarider

GravityFreakTJ said:
That's why i got a EBB SS now,makes it very easy to set up.

PS:You mentioned East Tenn,have I rode with you @ Windrock?
----
Yeah, i usually was there last year alot on my Maroon colored BULLET & a Z150 or Monster-T & 24" rear wheel...I drive a Grey Jeep Cherokee..
Got my Bullet setup using a PIKE now & lighter slightly at 40#. I like Windrock a lot--but Bigfoot is more for me, for several reasons!
How bout you dood ?
:cool:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
bigkonarider said:
----
Yeah, i usually was there last year alot on my Maroon colored BULLET & a Z150 or Monster-T & 24" rear wheel...I drive a Grey Jeep Cherokee..
Got my Bullet setup using a PIKE now & lighter slightly at 40#. I like Windrock a lot--but Bigfoot is more for me, for several reasons!
How bout you dood ?
:cool:

Team Gemini,Boxxer WC and DeeMax's.Love that place

B

bigkonarider

Back to the why of singlespeed. Ever since that article in mtn bike action around 1997-98 about Singlespeeds it's been great.They gave me the idea & when i did it people were really perplexed looking at the bike,etc ! I was stoked to have a fast lightweight & quiet bike.. My butt didn't hurt as much sitting and grinding for hours-instead i caould use my upper body strength alot more, & i'm a big masher anyway's so i flew up the hills when i was fit..
Nowaday's i still have a SS hardtail that i intend to use as a TOOL for getting back in top fitness & even have lights now for serious {ride anytime} attitude..
4x is my focus & can be tough .The SS is a great tool to train for it..
No gears/cassette/pod/derailers/cables,& adjustments or bad shifting.Plus as eveyone knows the mental process is totally free from anything except, Hammer or Push !!
I highly reccommend it.

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
I'm a singlespeeder from WAY back. My tricycle only had one gear as did my Big Wheel. Then they came out with all these fancy multi-geared bikes and I tried a couple, but always came back to the basics. I love SSing and the only difference between my bike now and my tricycle is the tricycle was fixed gear. Heck with that. Oh yeah. It also had 3 wheels.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
mcl2u2 said:
I'm a singlespeeder from WAY back. My tricycle only had one gear as did my Big Wheel. Then they came out with all these fancy multi-geared bikes and I tried a couple, but always came back to the basics. I love SSing and the only difference between my bike now and my tricycle is the tricycle was fixed gear. Heck with that. Oh yeah. It also had 3 wheels.
Awe,he 'tis a true single speeder :blah: