Quantcast

K9 + G'schoolers = L.E.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
the local spca i volunteer with has several different events throughout the year, and as a result of participating in quite a few i ended up on a distribution list for all their activities. in one of emails i learned of a program called Listening Ears. a clearly documented affect of animal interaction w/subjects for all types of afflictions/situations is therapuetic (sp?). in this particular application, a student indentified as reading deficient is paired with a literary mentor and their animal, which is in my case, my mtn bike dog Sprocket. i began participating in the program last year, but due to my recent move, the logistics of continuing at the same school this year, i decided to start up a program at a school closer to my new home. as luck would have it, my nextdoor neighbors wife is the reading skills coordinator at her school. it is this very position, that acts as a laison between the volunteer, faculty, and the area spca.
i forwarded her some documentation of the success other schools achieved (the program was recognized by the state literary council) for her to present to the faculty...it was pretty much a no-brainer for them. without further introduction i present to you, Sprocket and his minions
Here is Michael and Sprocket

Deonte and Sprocket