Quantcast

Keystone Sucks It AGAIN!

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
Well folks, here I am, again, to tell you about how miserable Keystone is this year. Once again, they have gone an entire year doing absolutely NOTHING to improve the bike park. They continue to run the same 3 trails (though they consider these 3 trails to be 10 since they give every couple hundred yards a new name) with zero maintenance, poorly built jumps and braking bumps a foot deep everywhere. It is seriously a joke. Even the jumps at the bottom of the mountain that used to be there and be some fun have been totally removed. In their place lies 100 yards of 6 inch deep mulch that you can have the pleasure of riding through every time you do a lap. Friggen unbelievable. Honestly, why don't they do the world a favor and simply turn the lift off and fire the entire trail crew and summer staff, who aside from moving a log or two do absolutely nothing. We are all better off to simply ride our trail bikes and not give any more money to such a pathetic effort. Jefferson county and Vail Associates should combine efforts and suck together. Rant over. Now bring the heat!

Last edited:

hopsalot

Chimp
Dec 21, 2009
Denver
We've been over this a few times now...Keystone for drops and rocks, Winterpark for berms and pedaling, SV for flow and gaps. It's nice to have choices.

tallDHsushi

Chimp
Jun 7, 2010
I rode keystone for the first time this weekend, and I actually enjoyed it on the V-10. A lot of the jumps are out of flow, and there are lots of braking bumps, but the 2300 vertical foot runs kept me stoked. My only real complaint was having to tighten bolts on my bike every run!

Last time I checked, downhill biking involved ruts and braking bumps. Maybe you should take up road biking.

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
@tallDHsushi - perhaps you're the one making these ruts and braking bumps then? Please cease and desist.

Anyhow, I'm not saying I don't have a good time there when I go, but I am always simply amazed at the lack of trail work/upkeep that takes place and the complete lack of new trail year after year. We build more trail every year just for fun than the paid trail crew does at Keystone.

tallDHsushi

Chimp
Jun 7, 2010
"@tallDHsushi - perhaps you're the one making these ruts and braking bumps then? Please cease and desist."

I'm a pro level rider who was in CO for natl. champs. I was told by fellow riders that I would have more fun at keystone than Trestle because it was more challenging.

It seems that you guys are a bit spoiled, having that many bike parks in such a small radius. But I'm sure the end result is more competition which means better bike parks. Here in norcal, we have no chioce but to go to Northstar, (or squaw?....)

hopsalot

Chimp
Dec 21, 2009
Denver
DHDUDE has a point about lack of trail maintenance at Keystone. I love riding Keystone but the trail crew at Winterpark must be reading our posts, these terrible boot camp jumps are now fixed. They spend alot of time and money on the trails. The trestle downhill couse is every bit as challenging as anything at Key. Winter park, please build a drop zone and one or two more real black trails maybe with some ladder bridges and you win.

Last edited:

Ride5280

Chimp
Aug 15, 2010
Trail maintenance at SkiStoned is pretty bad, but it is a "Mtn bike", how much trail maintenance do we really need???

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
I just finished riding Keystone, Trestle and Sol Vista and they are all more fun than my home ... Northstar. I didn't notice any lack of maintenance at Keystone....just some very nice long MOUNTAIN BIKE runs. Come try Northstar...I am sure your opinion will change about Keystone. Northstar tries but its a losing battle against the terrible Tahoe dirt.

But as most of us do...i ride what I have...at least I dont live in SoCal...no lift service for miles...and no Big Bear does not count until the owners there get half a brain

From what i can tell hopsalot is completely right....you guys are lucky to have such variety

I just finished riding Keystone, Trestle and Sol Vista and they are all more fun than my home ... Northstar. I didn't notice any lack of maintenance at Keystone....just some very nice long MOUNTAIN BIKE runs. Come try Northstar...I am sure your opinion will change about Keystone. Northstar tries but its a losing battle against the terrible Tahoe dirt.

But as most of us do...i ride what I have...at least I dont live in SoCal...no lift service for miles...and no Big Bear does not count until the owners there get half a brain

From what i can tell hopsalot is completely right....you guys are lucky to have such variety

Totally agree. Just got back from riding those 3 for a week and i also rode em last year. It seems like the spacing betwen the jumps got a little better on "money trail" and they did have a few extra berms and jumps on "loggers" i think. The connections to helter/skelter could be posted a lil better.
Sol Vista is so freaking rad BTW.
I'm jealous you locals guys have enough choices to b1tch about Keystone.
If anything, the trail work at WinterPark will most likely force Keystone to start upgrading at some point

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
crabjoestrechpants, we did whiteface twice last season loved it, it is the exception to the quick eastcoast resorts

daisy cutter im not complaining about "Whiteface;Plattekill;Diablo,7 springs, Vertical Earth" resorts either . we did vertical earth 3 times, platty 7, diablo 4, 7springs once had tons of fun awesome places with great people, i have been riding platty and diablo 4 years now love em

the question is have you been to keystone, trestle and sol vista they are big hills and let me tell you at wp ride shyann to (i think) double time to rainmaker to no quarter, to juryduty, to lower boot camp is like top to bottom 4 times at diablo , 3 top to bottom at platty , 6 top to bottom at sevensprings, 3 top to bottom at vertical earth, and almost 2 top to bottom at whiteface.

keystone i dont remember the names but the trails seem to keep going forever also they just dont realize they have less lift time, tons of options, long runs and they say it sucks. plus 3 resorts all about an hourish apart

we have great options, great trails just small hills

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
I rode Keystone this last Summer... I prefer Northstar over it. Horrible jumps, no real flow, a few sweet drops, but definitely not a place I want to spend money on returning to. Northstar to me is two parks in one. Left lift houses all the tech rock fun, right lift all the ripping berms and fun jumps... Much more well-rounded than Keystone was. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but I was disappointed as well and I'd rather go to Northstar.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
raw dh basicly, drop zone, some ladder bridges, the rental shop lost my bike reservation i was riding a fuel ex bike for the first 4 hours im 225 with gear i smoked the brakes, ovaled rims, fork had oil pouring out of it, finall got session 88 and then had fun

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Come ride Whiteface;Plattekill;Diablo,7 springs, Vertical Earth:thumb:
agreed. I went to CO and realized how good I had it back east. I mean, the trail riding in CO is probably epic. But as far as DH goes, I would rather be on the east. None of the mountains I have visited in CO were very impressive besides steamboat. I don't think anybody knows steamboat is bikeable, but they have epic fvcking berms and hella steep trails.

hopsalot

Chimp
Dec 21, 2009
Denver
Quick update.
It's the dead of winter and CO has been getting pounded with storms and Keystone always gets missed by these storms and its iced out gapper filled mess. As great as Keystone might be in the summer it sucks in the winter. A-basin is seven miles away and the conditions are great, seeming knee deep all winter long.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
Quick update.
It's the dead of winter and CO has been getting pounded with storms and Keystone always gets missed by these storms and its iced out gapper filled mess. As great as Keystone might be in the summer it sucks in the winter. A-basin is seven miles away and the conditions are great, seeming knee deep all winter long.
and hitchhike loveland pass a couple times on the way there :D