Quantcast

Keystone Trail Closures Sat and Sun.

Matt Sutton

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
Silverthorne, CO
On Saturday, 7/17 Suz's Cruz, Mosquito Coast, Let it Ride, Celtic Way, Blue Grass, and Sleepy Hollow will be closed due to XC racing. On Sunday, 7/18
the mountain will be closed all day for DH, due to the Xterra. Sorry for the inconvience. We are going through the final stages of forest service approval
for the new DH trail. We are hoping to start building late next week.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Matt Sutton said:
On Saturday, 7/17 Suz's Cruz, Mosquito Coast, Let it Ride, Celtic Way, Blue Grass, and Sleepy Hollow will be closed due to XC racing. On Sunday, 7/18
the mountain will be closed all day for DH, due to the Xterra. Sorry for the inconvience. We are going through the final stages of forest service approval
for the new DH trail. We are hoping to start building late next week.
Hey Matt, do you have any estimate for when the new dh trail would be completed, based upon your hoping to start date? Thanks.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Had I known this information (mountain being closed) I wouldn't have gone up. Further, i probably wouldn't have bought a season pass and given my money to Ketsone at all. The Xterra crap has put screwed me three times now. Screw that, and screw them.

I took a buddy of mine up there because this was going to be his only opportunity for a DH before he leaves the state for a while. My pass wasn't accepted (obviously) because "the xterra people need the mountain". Not that I cared much, but my buddy and I rode our bikes to the top via the service road. I had no intention of mucking with the race at all, just wanted to ride to the top and come down hill on some fun stuff.

I was put in a bad mood by a road ride SAG stop where i normally park to ride Keystone. And then to have a Keystone official tell me I couldn't ride the mountain was really making me mad.

We ended up riding. We even filmed our ride. Since the bike shuttle was shut down, we had the DH trail to ourselves, and were far enough behind the Xterra racers that it didn't matter.

The Xterra racers destroyed the courses (IMHO) by throwing trash everywhere. I picked up enough to stuff my pack full. I'm sick of this crap, and would like to see this stupid race moved to Kansas. I can't believe the race officials put the course through Wild Thing (most of the race chickens walked it anyway).

What made me happy, was, the fact that I passed these turkey's on a DH rig at 43 lbs going up hill.

:think: :mad:

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
Ascentrek said:
Had I known this information (mountain being closed) I wouldn't have gone up. Further, i probably wouldn't have bought a season pass and given my money to Ketsone at all. The Xterra crap has put screwed me three times now. Screw that, and screw them.

I took a buddy of mine up there because this was going to be his only opportunity for a DH before he leaves the state for a while. My pass wasn't accepted (obviously) because "the xterra people need the mountain". Not that I cared much, but my buddy and I rode our bikes to the top via the service road. I had no intention of mucking with the race at all, just wanted to ride to the top and come down hill on some fun stuff.

I was put in a bad mood by a road ride SAG stop where i normally park to ride Keystone. And then to have a Keystone official tell me I couldn't ride the mountain was really making me mad.

We ended up riding. We even filmed our ride. Since the bike shuttle was shut down, we had the DH trail to ourselves, and were far enough behind the Xterra racers that it didn't matter.

The Xterra racers destroyed the courses (IMHO) by throwing trash everywhere. I picked up enough to stuff my pack full. I'm sick of this crap, and would like to see this stupid race moved to Kansas. I can't believe the race officials put the course through Wild Thing (most of the race chickens walked it anyway).

What made me happy, was, the fact that I passed these turkey's on a DH rig at 43 lbs going up hill.

:think: :mad:

I didnt know they were closing down the entire mtn. I thought it was just the blue/green runs. They were supposedly keeping the DH trails open....?!?!

You wouldnt have bought a season pass b/c the mtn was closed one wknd? I understand your frustration with your buddy in town and wanting to ride, but when you got to Keystone and found out it was closed you should have just driven a bit farther down to vail.

As for the Xterra, I see it as a double edge sword. It gives the mountain much needed revenue/exposure to(potentially) help fund mountain improvements, but it's frustrating as hell dealing with the bad attitudes of the elitist XC pukes "training" the 3-4 weeks before the race. AND, if it's true that they close the ENTIRE mtn., then that is just LAME!

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
OOPS, just re-read Matt's post, and it clearly states that the mtn. was totally closed on Sunday. That is week sauce. It didnt effect me b/c I usually don't ride wknds. But most of the front range comes over on wknds, I'm sure keystone pissed a LOT of people off...