Quantcast

Kicker ramp

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Have any of you built a kicker ramp? If so where did you get the plans? I want something no more than 24" tall and it has to have a little transistion. Not a flat ramp.
Thanks
REC

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I've found that two feet is a little small, all of the ramps I've built in that size range have been at least 3 foot. The best way I've found is to take a sheet of plywood and basically just lean it against a wall, and draw what you want the transition to look like, and cut it out. Then just start framing from there.

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Cool that is sort of what I have been thinking after looking at ramp pics on the interenet. Most of them look like they are aimed at skating. I think I will build something in that 3ft range.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I built one about 2.5-3' tall. I used 2 4x4s for the frame (that sits on the ground) along the bottom.

I did a little planning on a wall once. I figured out the best way to plan it: Instead of feet, use centimeters and draw it all one paper. Draw the lengthand the hiegth and figure out a transition. Then figure out how tall each part is from the 4x4 on the bottom to the transition. Once I did that, i cut pieces 2x4s to go go between there (on each side). Then I cut 2x4s to go across each same sized vertical 2x4. Then, I put the plywood over those. We used 1/4" plywood, which was stiff enough for my friends dirtbike even. It has started to crack now, so I'm going to put another piece of 1/4" over it. I suggest getting 2 or 3 pieces of 1/4" plwood to layer.

I'll show you an image later.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think 18 or even 22mm ply is good for the shape and any deck you might have on a ramp,and at least 2 layers of 9mm for the surface. Use 2x4" for the slats. (2 end facing out.) Screws work way better than nails to hold it together, obviously...

I would draw transistions as a circular radius with a variable size and placement above and in front of the transistion slope dependant on what you want from the ramp. A kicker would use a large radius some way back.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I drew the ramp I built in photoshop, since I don't have a picture.

Plan out the transition, in 2d like in the box in the upper right. Start out with the length and height in centimeters. Then, draw the transition and adjust the length and height if needed. Then, draw and measure the vertical pieces that hold up the transition.

Measure it all in centimeters. Make those numbers feet and you have all the side measurements for the ramp.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
No measurement, but probably about 40-45 from vertical. It's just based off an 8' radius with the run in stretched out a bit to make it not as sharp. We wanted something relatively small we could keep in the garage and move around, but still fun enough to screw around on.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
does it slide if you dont push it up against a curb like that? any ideas for getting it to grip the ground if so?
I built one a while back. I put a 50 pound bag of sand on the bottom support. That thing didn't budge an inch. Too bad I moved and had to give it up.