Quantcast

Kicking Ass in Libya!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
America, F*** Yeah!

The UK, the US and France have begun attacking Libya as enforcement of the UN-mandated no-fly zone gets under way.

More than 110 missiles have been fired by the UK and US, officials at the Pentagon say.

Earlier, forces loyal to Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi attacked the rebel stronghold of Benghazi despite declaring a ceasefire a day earlier.

Western planes bombed targets in the capital, Tripoli, said the AFP news agency, quoting witnesses and state TV.

A French plane fired the first shots at 1645 GMT, destroying Libyan military vehicles, according to a military spokesman.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed that British planes are in action over Libya.

US President Barack Obama, speaking during a visit to Brazil, said the US was taking "limited military action" as part of a "broad coalition".

"We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," he said.

He repeated that no US ground troops would take part.

Shortly after the bombing started, a Libyan official went on TV to denounce the "barbarian aggression".

'Necessary'

A British submarine has fired a number of missiles at Libyan air defence targets, the Ministry of Defence said.

Mr Cameron said that launching military action against Libya was "necessary, legal and right".

Libyan state TV reported that what it called the "crusader enemy" had bombed civilian areas of Tripoli, as well as fuel storage tanks supplying the western city of Misrata.

Sources in Tripoli told BBC Arabic that the attacks on the city had so far targeted the eastern areas of Sawani, Airport Road, and Ghasheer. These are all areas believed to host military bases.

The air strikes on Misrata targeted a military airbase, the Reuters news agency reported, quoting two residents who denied the state TV reports that fuel stores were hit.

The cruise missiles were fired from one British submarine and a number of American destroyers and subs, said a Pentagon official.

The missiles hit more than 20 air defence sites along the Mediterranean coast, said Navy Vice Adm William E Gortney.

The action came hours after Western and Arab leaders met in Paris to agree how to enforce the UN resolution, which allows "all necessary measures" to protect civilians from forces loyal to Col Gaddafi.

French planes also flew reconnaissance missions over "all Libyan territory", military sources in Paris said earlier.

In addition, Canada is sending warplanes to the region, while Italy has offered the use of its military bases. A naval blockade against Libya is also being put in place.

The international community was intervening to stop the "murderous madness" of Col Gaddafi, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said.

"In Libya, the civilian population, which is demanding nothing more than the right to choose their own destiny, is in mortal danger," he warned. "It is our duty to respond to their anguished appeal."

Shortly after the airstrikes began, Libyan state TV said a French plane had been shot down near Tripoli. However, French military officials said all their planes had returned safely.

Col Gaddafi has ruled Libya for more than 40 years. An uprising against him began last month after long-time leaders of neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt were toppled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12796972

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Best part is, we convinced the Arabs to present it as their and idea and got France to do our dirty work. Kudos to Hillary for pulling that **** off. Anyone who doesn't think this was diplomatic brilliance probably thinks Mayor McCheese is a good politician.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Best part is, we convinced the Arabs to present it as their and idea and got France to do our dirty work. Kudos to Hillary for pulling that **** off. Anyone who doesn't think this was diplomatic brilliance probably thinks Mayor McCheese is a good politician.
Palin/Gingrich/Fox News can spout all the crap they want, but with diplomacy, you want the smartest, subtle, hooked-up dudes making the decisions and pulling the trigger.

Otherwise you have John Bolton:

Speaking on the opening night of the state Republican Party convention in Sacramento, Bolton told fellow party members that had he been in charge, he would have moved far more swiftly and would have unilaterally declared a no-fly zone in Libya during the early stage of the crisis.

"Had we acted in those early days, we could have tipped the balance conclusively against Kadafi and this whole thing might be over," Bolton told hundreds of delegates over dinner in the ballroom of a downtown hotel. "Instead the president dithered, and he watched, and he waited, and he temporized."

"Hey John, how did that Iraqi thing work out? And the Afghanistan project?"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Palin/Gingrich/Fox News can spout all the crap they want, but with diplomacy, you want the smartest, subtle, hooked-up dudes making the decisions and pulling the trigger.

Otherwise you have John Bolton:

"Hey John, how did that Iraqi thing work out? And the Afghanistan project?"
bolton to sanjuro..."work in progress motherfvcker.....work in progress!"

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Yeah just stay the course for another decade (maybe 2 for Afganistan) and you should have mission accomplished. :thumb: :rolleyes:
Don't ever feel that you need to actually accomplish the mission before you call mission accomplished. Unconstrain your thinking man!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Shock and awwwwwwww crap......
Better?

And I just keep thinking back to our previous two presidents. One of them directed an air war against a dictator who was brutalizing his own people that resulted in a) few (no?) allied deaths, b) a relatively cheap price tag and c) achieving the desired outcome (overthrown by his own people). The other physically invaded two separate countries and WE ARE STILL THERE losing billions (trillions?) of dollars and thousands of lives.

Which one would you emulate?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I am curious what KQGadahfi has been up to over the last decade or so. I remember he was in the news every day when I was teenager. Then he found jesus or something and was nice all of a sudden?

This whole thing makes me sick. It's just another example of politics at work. Reminds me of Saddam's tale.

Gadaffi has always been a ruthless dictator, but at a certain point he was useful to occident, so despite his terrorist attacks and kidnapping foreign citizens, he became the "nice pal in north africa" who helped control al qaeda in the zone (thus helping preventing al qaeda's from growing power and "spilling" it to nearby countries, a greater threat), sold us gas at nice prices and made other not-so clear favours. This came at a price; he gained legitimacy, toured Europe and was welcomed by kings and PMs alike, not so long ago (oh, and the terrorist was freed, came back to Lybia and was welcomed by Gadaffi himself, if I recall correctly).

Just a few days after the uprising, Europe cut all relations with Lybia, which makes me wonder if they were expecting an incident like this to happen, so they could break the "contract" in a favorable way and still look like they do it for the sake of humanity. What about Egypt, Morocco, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.? Why didn't they act as fast, or act at all? I guess they're either too powerful or too useful as of today to mess with them, even less to surround them with our war machines. But one day, it will happen again.
I just hope the lybian soon find their way and they avoid becoming another Irak...

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This whole thing makes me sick. It's just another example of politics at work. Reminds me of Saddam's tale.

Gadaffi has always been a ruthless dictator, but at a certain point he was useful to occident, so despite his terrorist attacks and kidnapping foreign citizens, he became the "nice pal in north africa" who helped control al qaeda in the zone (thus helping prevent al qaeda's power growing and "spilling" to nearby countries, a greater threat), sold us gas at nice prices and made other not-so clear favours. This came at a price; he gained legitimacy and toured Europe and was welcomed by kings and PMs alike not so long ago (oh, and the terrorist came back to Lybia an was welcomed by Gadaffi himself, if I recall correctly).

Just a few days after the uprising, Europe cut all relations with Lybia, which makes me wonder if they were expecting an incident like this to happen, so they could break the "contract" in a favorable way and still look like they do it for the sake of humanity. What about Egypt, Morocco, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.? I guess they're either too powerful or too useful as of today to mess with them, even less to surround them with our war machines. But one day, it will happend again
I just hope the lybian soon find their way and they avoid becoming another Irak...
:stupid:

Why is no body bombing Bahrain, or Yemen? Both of these countries are openly executing protesters in the streets, yet nobody is doing anything about them.
How long till Quadafi has another airliner blown up, or something worse?

*edit: We can add Syria to the mix too I guess.

Last edited:
:stupid:

Why is no body bombing Bahrain, or Yemen?...
:rolleyes:
My point is that the reasons for "civilized countries" to do anything from consider enemy another country, to bring them war, have little or no relation to human rights. I believe it's just a matter of power and/or convenience. Gadaffi crossed the line from "useful" to "annoyance"... If they aren't thinking about Bahrain and Yemen is probably because it's better to leave them that way for now (same with many countries in africa).

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My point is that the reasons for "civilized countries" to do anything from consider enemy another country, to bring them war, have little or no relation to human rights. I believe it's just a matter of power and/or convenience. Gadaffi crossed the line from "useful" to "annoyance"... If they aren't thinking about Bahrain and Yemen is probably because for now it's better to leave them that way for now (same with many countries in africa).
I was agreeing with you. :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My point is that the reasons for "civilized countries" to do anything from consider enemy another country, to bring them war, have little or no relation to human rights. I believe it's just a matter of power and/or convenience. Gadaffi crossed the line from "useful" to "annoyance"... If they aren't thinking about Bahrain and Yemen is probably because for now it's better to leave them that way for now (same with many countries in africa).
These are all good questions, although I would keep working on your writing "he was useful to occident".

The first question I thought of is "Is Gaddafi losing control vs Baharain/Yemen?" There is not much point doing fly-overs if it is unarmed protesters vs tanks/machine guns, but it looks like all-out-warfare in Libya.

The next question is exactly what is our relationship with Baharain, which seems to be a fairly dependable (or possibly, easily manipulated ally). Whatever it is, it better change considering what they did to their protesters.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
There is not much point doing fly-overs if it is unarmed protesters vs tanks/machine guns, but it looks like all-out-warfare in Libya.
Thank you sanj. All these people saying, "why didn't we go into X also" are ignoring the obvious differences in the situations just to spout their stupid imperialist conspiracy crap.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So does Obama get to join the war criminal club now?

Or do you have to deploy ground forces before that counts?

I'm waiting for someone to have the balls to impose UN sanctions and no fly zones over Saudi, since they seem to be pretty quick to squash any uprisings of their people.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Meanwhile back in Afghanistan............

http://www.theage.com.au/national/victorian-neonazi-used-as-medic-in-afghanistan-20110322-1c58u.html
Ironically at the moment US$1 will buy you A$1.05.
To borrow from my recent Facebook comments:

I am disappointed that this "Victorian Neo-Nazi" didn't involve a skinhead wearing a cutaway frock coat with swastika arm band, top hat with a spike, and some waxed facial hair.

And I believe if we're gonna do Libya right, we need to get some classic 80s air warfare going on--anyone wanna go pull the F-14s and F-111s off the blocks in the Reagan Library's driveway?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'm waiting for someone to have the balls to impose UN sanctions and no fly zones over Saudi, since they seem to be pretty quick to squash any uprisings of their people.
This was the point I was trying to make earlier. Were not going to that with SA or Bahrain or Yemen, etc, etc because they sell everyone cheap oil and are easily manipulated. Sure the citizenry is oppressed, people are tortured and lots of other horrible things but we can look past all of that as long as they leave the taps open.:rolleyes:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This was the point I was trying to make earlier. Were not going to that with SA or Bahrain or Yemen, etc, etc because they sell everyone cheap oil and are easily manipulated. Sure the citizenry is oppressed, people are tortured and lots of other horrible things but we can look past all of that as long as they leave the taps open.:rolleyes:
Not that it's a totally invalid point, but should the existence/toleration of one bad regime mean we are forbidden to act against another? Or is it incumbent on us to launch a synchronized worldwide war of consistent moral crusading if we're going to do anything??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When Bush was in office

Conservatives: War, **** Yeah! **** the French we can do it ourselves.
Moderates: War? Huh?
Liberals: WTF No!

When Obama is in office

Conservatives: War, NO! waste of money. Conspiring with the French, The New World Order is taking over.
Moderates: Huh? WTF
Liberals: Well OK, I'm not comfortable talking about this.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Most reports are saying the pilot was picked up by marines and the weapons officer hung out with rebels for a while and is now in US custody. Sounds like we have some folks on the ground.
Marine expeditionary forces have a Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel team standing by whenever someone's in the air. They probably came in via helicopter from offshore before or when the plane went down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
marine expeditionary forces have a tactical recovery of aircraft and personnel team standing by whenever someone's in the air. They probably came in via helicopter from offshore before or when the plane went down.
bat-21?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Marine expeditionary forces have a Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel team standing by whenever someone's in the air. They probably came in via helicopter from offshore before or when the plane went down.
My spidey sense is telling me you're swelling in the gonadical area at the chance for some jarheads to sing the Marines' Hymn while actually in Tripoli. You can take the boy out of the Marines.......