Quantcast

Kingdon, VT ride pics - 56k pack breakfast, lunch and dinner

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
We're finally back from a long weekend in East Burke, VT and a nice run on the trails there. Rain and other odd weather made life difficult, but we did manage two days of riding and about 32 miles all said and done. The first day was just an easy ride to get used to the terrain, and there are no pics of it, but here's the second day's ride:

We met up with another couple (Dawn and Joe) who we rode with the majority of our time there. It made for some good times, and some really twisted humor sprinkled among the riding. But without further ado...

We climbed from town up to the top of East Darling Hill Rd (about 300 feet vertical according to the map) and got a great view from the top:

There were loads of riders at the top, and we stopped to check all our equipment before heading out.

We started out on Beamis (Beavis jokes were had) and crossed a nice long bridge to get into the woods.

We made a turn off onto Tody's Tour, which was excellent fast, twitchy singletrack.
Beth:

Some random guy who was running his puppy.

Another part of Tody's, with Joe now the focus of attention:

Dawn, same spot:

We bombed out of Tody's onto River Run, and ran into the much talked about Kingdom sand pits:

Instead of hanging out on double track, we jumped into a pine forest and hit Webs for a little bit of very fast singletrack.

Dawn was having a blast:

And I finally relinquished the camera:

We split off River Run onto Dry Feet and encountered another cool bridge:

We snuck on over to Hog Back and found some cool rooty stuff to roll over:

And yet more sand:

Next we hit a freshly cut trail, not even on the printed map, but recommended by the Kingdom office...Sidewinder. Probably the most wickedly cool trail we've ever ridden. Basically, they cut a series of weaving trails along the sides of a drainage basin. If you can imagine it from above, it weaves down one side, up the other side, down that side, up the other, etc etc, like a sidewinder snake's trail.

First drop was about a 45 degree pitch, slick mud and maybe 100 feet long:

After the first drop, we pulled a hard 90 degree left and came down into the second drop - an off camber, decreasing radius turn that was slathered in mud. Splat will LOVE this little series:

Splat, you ready?

And there's your crash thread pic:

Beth came down the same chute:

She, however, did NOT eat mud:

So she kept going:

And really hit the next series with emphasis:

After I dusted myself off, I tried the second set, and did much better there:

More Sidewinder:

Bad stitch job to show the flow and general idea of the trail:

We jumped off Sidewinder after a brutal climb and hit some more smooth, fast singletrack on Old Webs:
Dawn:

Beth in the same spot:

We hit all that smooth singletrack with huge grins on our faces:

Coming around the corner among the towering pines on Old Webs:

More trees:

We finished off the section on Border, which was more smooth, well groomed trail:

Shortly after this point, it began to thunder and the skies opened up. We had a brutal torture ride, soaked to the bone and tired as hell, back to town through vast, East Branch and River Wood. It was excellent stuff. It would have been worlds better without the rain, but it was definitely great stuff and was worth every moment.

Tomorrow I'll get the second day's ride pics up.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn, I guess northern New England has not gotten as much rain as the rest of New England. Those trails look amazingly dry considering how much rain has been dumped on us this year.

Cool pics!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So how many total days of riding did you guys do?

Great pics and I'm sorry we couldn't have been with you.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Echo said:
Awesome! Can't wait to go there in a couple weeks :thumb:
w00t!!! Gonna be a blast!!

Great writeup Rob!! Glad you guys got a chance to get up there. Now you know it's not all hype, the KT's are as good as everyone says they are!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
splat said:
Nice pics and write up Rob! I notice that it appeared Beth had no problem on that section you crashed.

I can't wait till next week!!! WoooHooo, I'm there .!
What can I say. I didn't watch ahead of me, freaked a little bit on the mud and grabbed some rear brake.

IAB: The trails were, for the most part, almost dry. They were just tacky enough to let you really tear through them. Slick spots were VERY slick though.

Stosh: the couple we met there was from northern NJ, so we may be able to meet up with them at Blue or Stewart sometime. It would be nice to get up there with you and Aubrey sometime next year (or maybe in the fall even). We got 2 full days of riding in, and a short ride on Friday. We went to Burlington on Sunday to beat the rain (and found a wicked cool bike shop in Middlebury that specializes in 29ers).

I'm still working on the second set of pictures from our second full day.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Great write up Rob and some sweet pics. I recognized a couple of those sections. You gotta love that climb up Darling Hill very first thing. Nothing like blowing all your energy before you hit the first trail!!!

What shop did you hit in Middlebury? Did you make it to any breweries?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
dogwonder said:
Great write up Rob and some sweet pics. I recognized a couple of those sections. You gotta love that climb up Darling Hill very first thing. Nothing like blowing all your energy before you hit the first trail!!!

What shop did you hit in Middlebury? Did you make it to any breweries?
We hit Magic Hat in Burlington, and it was Five Hills Bike in Waterbury, not Middlebury (I suck with names).

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
robdamanii said:
We hit Magic Hat in Burlington, and it was Five Hills Bike in Waterbury, not Middlebury (I suck with names).
Mmmm...Magic Hat, get any good swag or have any good samples? I'm a big fan of Circus Boy and the H.I.P.A.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
dogwonder said:
Mmmm...Magic Hat, get any good swag or have any good samples? I'm a big fan of Circus Boy and the H.I.P.A.
Bunch of glasses, some t-shirts, a tap handle, a case, and some magnets and crap. We got to try CB, #9, Single Chair Ale, HP, 374 and Fat Angel on tap. Very nice stuff.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
robdamanii said:
Bunch of glasses, some t-shirts, a tap handle, a case, and some magnets and crap. We got to try CB, #9, Single Chair Ale, HP, 374 and Fat Angel on tap. Very nice stuff.
Oh batch 374, I hope they bottle that next year, I really liked it. Tap handle too??? Collector or do you have your own kegerator?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
dogwonder said:
Oh batch 374, I hope they bottle that next year, I really liked it. Tap handle too??? Collector or do you have your own kegerator?
The Batch 274 was really good stuff. I'm hoping we see it in bottles also.

I actually E-bayed a #9 tap handle for a father's day gift for my dad (collects bottles, caps, cans...everything beer), so I picked up an old Hocus Pocus tap handle for him there.