Quantcast

Knife question(s)... Any knife guys?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So right now I'm carrying this:
http://www.gerbertools.com/7908.htm

I really like the shape and nicely offset thumb stud. It opens really fast and is comfortable to hold. I'm just not really happy with the strength/hardness of the blade. It tends to get dull fairly quickly and I snapped the tip off another one. They're only $30 so I don't expect too much.

Got a little $$ in my pocket and am looking for a replacement. Criteria are a well placed thumb stud that gives a good motion and "snap" (sorry, I know it's shallow, but I like it - that eliminates 99% of Spiderco knives for me), good strong blade with a tapered or Tanto blade style (I don't want any weirdly shaped blades), and is comfortable to hold. Must be half-serrated. Preferably not very heavy and must be not significantly bigger or smaller than the Gerber. What should I look for? What's the best steel? Suggestions?

I'm very interested in these:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/coltblack.htm

Partly because they're not that expensive, but I like the opening mechanism and tanto blade. I can't find any reviews on them or any talk about the odd laser cut serrated blade.

:help:

PCC

Chimp
Dec 4, 2003
Ga, the flat part
My first post on this bike site and it's about knives. Depending on how much $$ you have any Klotzli will give you what you're looking for. I've been carrying a Klotzli Walker design for over 6 years, Still "snaps" every time I open it. They start around $120.00

go to this site. You can burn hours looking at all the different knives.

http://www.knifecenter.com/

I've ordered from them before with no problems.

There was a sweet damacus tanto with carbon scales in American Handgunner a couple months ago if you have $ 400 burning a hole in your pocket.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm carrying one similiar to your's, a gerber but a different model. Anyways i've always thought of it as just a tool really and i like the serrated lower section, would be great to use for cutting branches for a makeshift shelter if need be. Stuff like that....
i dunno i don't whittle with mine, or plan on stabbing anything with it, but i do carry it in my pocket easy to grab just in case something grabs me on the trail. something may get to eat me but it's gonna have to lose an eye to do it. just recently i ran into this wierd dude in the middle of the woods with a very very mean rotweiller, the rotty was bigger than his master and it took all the dudes strength to hold his leash, you just never know what you gonna run into in the sticks.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dog Welder said:
I was asking about knives a while back and ended up getting this...
Benchmade Mel Pardue
They claim on the website you can get it in either aluminum of G10 (I assume that's their plastic) handle. However, they only list the G10 model to buy. Did you end up getting plastic or al? How do you like it either way?

I've always been much more partial to metal handles as far as weight and feel go. I don't like my knives heavy but they should be somewhat balanced.

Anyone else carry those CKRT M16 models? They look pretty nice and I've got a CKRT already that I like the blade on. Opening mechnism is terrible though - it's one of those thumb-lock blades that locks shut and open.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Emerson Knives are probably the toughest (and most expensive) knives you can buy. Personally I dont think its worth it to spend 150+ on a knife, especially when you can get very high quality knives from benchmade or kershaw for 100-120. I have a columbia river, which unfortunately is too small, and the 55 dollar gerber. The gerber works for its a bit heavy and certainly not as high quality as the others previously mentioned. Benchmade, kershaw, or columbia river are the way to go.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
binary visions said:
They claim on the website you can get it in either aluminum of G10 (I assume that's their plastic) handle. However, they only list the G10 model to buy. Did you end up getting plastic or al? How do you like it either way?

I've always been much more partial to metal handles as far as weight and feel go. I don't like my knives heavy but they should be somewhat balanced.

Anyone else carry those CKRT M16 models? They look pretty nice and I've got a CKRT already that I like the blade on. Opening mechnism is terrible though - it's one of those thumb-lock blades that locks shut and open.
I got a fairly large hand and the M16 was like a dinner knife in my hand. Like I was holding it with my fingers rather than gripping it with my hand. I got their proprietary grip material and it feels great. What I love about the knife is that its larger width wise than the M16 so it fits in my hand better..and the Axis Lock mechanism. Its that metal bit toward the blade on the handle of the knife. You pull that thing back towards you and with a flick of the wrist the blade snaps open. CRKT doesn't recommend you flick their knives too much becuase the locking mech will eventually get screwed up. All in all its my first real knife and I love it loads.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I love knives, and probably spend way too much on them...

A G-10 handle is a must have for me when I buy a knife. G-10 isn't plastic, it's more of a fibrous material. I guess the closest thing to G-10 would be the stuff a cast is made of. It's kind of similar to that, except not as rough.

Personally, I don't care for CRKT. Benchmade is probably your best bet. What's your price range and intended uses? Emerson doesn't really make a good all around utility blade shape and grind, but they are nice knives, I used to own a CQC7.

As far as steel goes, AUS-8 or 440 is pretty much standard in the cheaper knives. As you go up in price you'll see 154CM or D2 and more makers are now using S30V. S30V is a steel designed specifically for knives.

Check out the Benchmade Griptilian series. A nice knife for a good price.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Honeywell said:
A G-10 handle is a must have for me when I buy a knife. G-10 isn't plastic, it's more of a fibrous material. I guess the closest thing to G-10 would be the stuff a cast is made of. It's kind of similar to that, except not as rough.
Right, it's a fiberglass based deal. Wasn't trying to bash on it by calling it plastic, I just meant it's lightweight and looks similar to plastic.

What's your price range and intended uses?
Would like to spend less than $150. Intended use as a general carrying knife with all the tasks that implies - cutting whatever might be lying around that needs cutting, from cardboard to rope to wood. Occasional use for non-knife-related purposes like substitute screwdriver or pry-bar. Will be used when camping.

Wish there were more places around here that carried high end knives so I could handle a few of these before I buy. Unfortunately, EMS and Sam's are about the only places within an hour of here and their selection is pretty poor.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've had one of the Crawford Kaspers for a few years now and haven't had any real problems with it (aside from making a fool of myself by cutting my thumb with it in the store).

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
binary visions said:
Wish there were more places around here that carried high end knives so I could handle a few of these before I buy. Unfortunately, EMS and Sam's are about the only places within an hour of here and their selection is pretty poor.
I don't know if they do (Or ever have for that matter :)) carry knives other than Leathermans , but check out Summer's Backcountry Outfitters (On West Street behind Texaco). John the owner is a really great guy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BrokenChain said:
I don't know if they do (Or ever have for that matter :)) carry knives other than Leathermans , but check out Summer's Backcountry Outfitters (On West Street behind Texaco). John the owner is a really great guy.
Good idea, I forget that place exists sometimes because it's just not visible. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, and the last time I needed a part for my roof rack, he ordered it, paid for it and shipping ($2 part, $4 S&H), called me when it had arrived, and gave it to me free of charge.

I'll check it out today.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Dog Welder said:
I was asking about knives a while back and ended up getting this...
Benchmade Mel Pardue
I've got one very similar to that one. Found it a local firearms shop. It was mispriced at $40. should have bought all they had at that price. It's minimum retail was about $150...some sort of special edition. That was about 4 years ago. Benchmade makes great knives.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dog Welder said:
..and the Axis Lock mechanism. Its that metal bit toward the blade on the handle of the knife. You pull that thing back towards you and with a flick of the wrist the blade snaps open..
Hey, I just thought of something.. The Axis lock doesn't lock it closed does it? Just open, correct?