Quantcast

Kona vs. Rocky Mountain

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Brand spankin' new to the site... Love it! So much great info, but I could use some advice... I'm looking at either a new Kona (Cinder Cone or Caldera) or a Rocky Mountain (Trailhead or Vertex 30), and there's lots of great feedback on the Konas here but not much mention of Rocky. I've always had a Rocky in the past because the geometry seems to fit me better (I have a pretty short reach), but for a similar componant setup the Rockies are significantly more money. Am I missing something subtle in the Rocky that would hike the price up? I've heard that Kona has shortened their crossbar length a bit, which would help with the fit plus my shop is willing to fine tune the stem length etc. for me to make it comfortable. But it's been hard to comparison shop the two brands because no one shop carries both so I can't get a really good unbiased opinion. Any info would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
One of my best sellers is the Caldera. It is what we call "the Value" you get a lot of bike for a decent price, and in a couple years when stuff wears out it is still worth it to up grade. I was doing a Spring tune up on a rode hard year old about an hour ago. Scuffed and creaped, but still holding it's own.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Thanks guys. I think it's looking like the Kona. Better componants for the same price as the Rocky, and being on a budget I hate to admit it, but in this case price matters. Oh, in a perfect world... ;)

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Cash-Money said:
rocky's are made in canada, not overseas, that would add to the cost. kona's are dope though, their geo is perfect, and the frames hold up to years
Yeah, in Burnaby, BC which is part of the appeal for me for sure. I would much rather buy Canadian made, and their frames are GREAT. I've always had a RM in the past and loved it. If money weren't an issue for me I wouldn't hesitate to fork out the bucks for another one. But I've been out of the scene for a while and I had heard that they were bought out by Procycle (mass-produced garbage) so I wanted to make sure their quality hadn't gone down. As far as I've been able to find out, though, the factory is still the same and the quality too. Do you know where Kona makes theirs? I know their HO is in the PNW somewhere, but I'm not sure about the factory...

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
So far that makes about 8 votes for Kona and 1 for Rocky. Mind you, I don't think there's as many RM's down there as there are here, likely because they are Canadian made. But I just went to my local Rocky dealer to check out this years prices for the models I'm looking at and they've gone up even since last summer. So I think that's the final decision making factor for me:) The RM's are just a little out of my price range, even though they are DAMN fine bikes! Thanks for all the input! I'll post a pic of my sexy new Kona when I get it if anyone's interested...

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
KONAHOTTIE_33 said:
I have always had a Kona...and I love them. Last one I bought was the Coiler for freerideing and I love it and for the money it is the S@&*. So Kona all the way..I am sure my name didn't give it away at all..hehe
Hey! Just noticed where you're from... nice to meet someone from my neck of the woods on here! And no, your name didn't give at away at all;)
I don't know if you're interested or not, but I'm looking for some people to ride with. I just posted a new thread in the Rocky Mountain community because I haven't come across many Canadians on here that live east of Whistler. I used to live in Jasper and Banff and I left most of my riding buddies behind when I moved back here. Add to that the issue that I've been without wheels for a few years thus my connections to the riding world are pretty much devoid of any life:) Anyways, let me know. I have saturday afternoons and sundays off, and at least 2 nights a week. Me and a friend are hoping to get out lots, even if it's just out to the Bragg, but the more the merrier!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hi from a very pleased Cinder Cone owner. I just bought it about a month ago and absolutely love it. I also have a short reach (short arms, short legs) and it fits me perfectly and I feel really confident on the trail because of the size of the cockpit. This bike can really take a beating and I've never even had to stop to make minor adjustments.

Good luck and be sure to let us know which one you choose.

Beth

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
bluebug32 said:
Hi from a very pleased Cinder Cone owner. I just bought it about a month ago and absolutely love it. I also have a short reach (short arms, short legs) and it fits me perfectly and I feel really confident on the trail because of the size of the cockpit. This bike can really take a beating and I've never even had to stop to make minor adjustments.

Good luck and be sure to let us know which one you choose.

Beth
Thanks for the feedback Beth! I'm going to buy my Cinder Cone tomorrow, and I can hardly wait. It was a pretty easy decision once I went and actually checked the prices on the Rockys. Beautiful bikes, and if I had the money I would get one, but the Konas can't be beat for the setup that you get for the price - or so I've found out:) I won't bother posting a pic though, cus she's going to look exactly the same as yours! I'm glad you're happy with her. I'm sure I will be too;)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
mtnluvn said:
Thanks for the feedback Beth! I'm going to buy my Cinder Cone tomorrow, and I can hardly wait. It was a pretty easy decision once I went and actually checked the prices on the Rockys. Beautiful bikes, and if I had the money I would get one, but the Konas can't be beat for the setup that you get for the price - or so I've found out:) I won't bother posting a pic though, cus she's going to look exactly the same as yours! I'm glad you're happy with her. I'm sure I will be too;)
Wonderful :D I'm glad you made the decision and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Beth

D-rider

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Anchorage, Ak
:thumb: Dude go with a kona, i have a kona fire mountain and it makes a sick trials bike. I put at least a $100 worth new stuff on it though.......................... It makes a sick setup though :thumb:

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Thanks everyone for all the input! I went with the Kona Cinder Cone and so far I'm loving it. Planning on taking her out for a spin on the trails over the weekend, which will be the true test but I have no doubt she'll hold up just fine:) It's even supposed to rain here the next few days, so I'll be able to christen her good on some muddy trails - can't wait!

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Done! I went with the Cinder Cone and I've actually had her for over 2 months now. I'm definitely happy with my decision, though I don't think it'll be long before I start tweaking her and perking her up (even though she's already pretty hot;)). My shop changed the saddle for me to a women's saddle - who'd of thunk it would make that big of a difference?? Next on the list is to change the factory shimano clipless pedals to flats. Someone mentioned that the fork was crap and that I should get a better one, but so far the one that's on it is fine for me - save that major expense for a later date!
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have a Cinder Cone and the fork definitely isn't crap. I've been really happy with the clipless pedals, but they did take a while to get used to. I'm thinking about picking up some slicks so I can buzz around on some back roads.

It's great to see another member of the Cinder Cone fan club :) Let me know how you end up tweaking it.

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Konas are made in Washington state... I think somewhere North of Seattle.
They look frickin' sweet.
No match for my Sledgehammer, though.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i don't know if you know this but the reason you hVENT HEARD ABOUT THE ROCKYMOUNTAIN BIKES IS BECAUSE they are expensive not many can afford them but if you can go right on ahead they are awsom but not recomended if you ARE JUST starting because yuo might not like the sport becuase it isn't for everyone

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
like i think i said earlyer you just have to ride them and see for yourself everyone has a diff. style or feel that they like of a bike

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
definitly a rocky mt i have a kona but nothing ca nbeet a rocky mt it is hand made in canada the home of the best park whistler