Quantcast

Kramer needed a new 15 minutes

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Ok, now let's all insult each other's race. If you need help, go here:

http://www.rsdb.org/?2

Now, I'm illustrating a point. There's no word on there that's inherently offensive without somebody putting meaning to it. I heard an interview with the club owner today in which he stated that he refunded everyone's money in the place. The entire patronage walked out on the act. The ENTIRE CLUB.

There's a problem in that we still consider that word offensive. That's what propagates it's use: the more it offends, the more it will be used. Sad but true. Stop putting meaning to these things, and it breaks the cycle.

Sure, it's a dream and a half, but what can you do at this point but hope for something like that.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
while not everyone will agree with me on this, he did sound apologetic in that interview. judging by his tone and body language, he did mean that he was sorry. if he was just putting up a facade to cover his ass, it would have sounded a bit more "professional." anyone else notice how many times he said "ummm?"
I agree his apology was real, but something else is going on with him as well. Either crazy or drugs or both. He is clearly unstable.
You could see it all through the interview.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Um, FRANKLY, I grew up around alot of blacks and have served in the military with many that I would not have second thoughts about trusting in them to have my back during hostile situations while deployed and they felt the same for me. So therefore, I have built strong relationships with numerous of BLACK people that do not find it offensive when we talk trash to each other....
And that's my point. Some of your talk makes me uncomfortable, but who I am to judge?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
while I really do think he's upset over his stupidity, including his response that he needs to do some introspection, that won't stop me...

:D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
What he did was wrong in my opinion.

I don't like the double standard here either. I don't care what the history is, no one should use any racial slurs. Period.
I'm not responsible for slavery, so I won't hold any accountability for it, sorry. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I should carry the guilt of something done long ago.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
First of all this guy should of got the crap beaten out of him..The n--- word does carry a lot of weight and if you can't find the differance between Chris Rock using it and this guy you need to wake up...BUT here we go only in our country can people get $$$$ for beeing called a name .WTF...how does money fix all these problems yeah if you are seriously hurt in an accident there should be money involved....Michael Jacson screwed around with your kid oh well here is some money..???. oh thanks no charges filled .!!..this guys career hopefully will be over for good... But the second these guys take money they are saying it was OK.......

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
First of all this guy should of got the crap beaten out of him..The n--- word does carry a lot of weight and if you can't find the differance between Chris Rock using it and this guy you need to wake up...BUT here we go only in our country can people get $$$$ for beeing called a name .WTF...how does money fix all these problems yeah if you are seriously hurt in an accident there should be money involved....Michael Jacson screwed around with your kid oh well here is some money..???. oh thanks no charges filled .!!..this guys career hopefully will be over for good... But the second these guys take money they are saying it was OK.......
Why does he deserve to "get the crap beaten out of him" for his comment? It's a word. It has no meaning beyond what you give it. He chose a word, they chose to be offended by it. It's no different than saying the word queer. When used descriptively, it means weird or different. If that's all you see it as, then you can't be offended by it. If you choose to see it as meaning "derogatory for homosexual people" then that's your choice.

Like I said before, if people would just stop viewing words as taboo and offensive, their use would stop as well.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Like I said before, if people would just stop viewing words as taboo and offensive, their use would stop as well

You said "would". Or was that "wood"? Either whey, I'm offended.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why does he deserve to "get the crap beaten out of him" for his comment? It's a word. It has no meaning beyond what you give it. He chose a word, they chose to be offended by it. It's no different than saying the word queer. When used descriptively, it means weird or different. If that's all you see it as, then you can't be offended by it. If you choose to see it as meaning "derogatory for homosexual people" then that's your choice.

Like I said before, if people would just stop viewing words as taboo and offensive, their use would stop as well.
Queer means different. What's the alternative to nigger?

Yeah, not the same thing at all!

A "nigger" would've jumped on stage and beat him up. A civilized, but highly offended person would've have done exactly what those two guys did... get up, yell, "that's uncalled for", and leave.

Major props to those dudes.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

A "nigger" would've jumped on stage and beat him up. A civilized, but highly offended person would've have done exactly what those two guys did... get up, yell, "that's uncalled for", and leave.

So Opie, with that definition, you almost admit its not a purely racial slur, but instead a lifestyle description, which, oddly enough, is how most blacks I know use the term, intermittently, amongst themselves. I think that lessens the poison of its use.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005

"Nigger" means nothing to me other than black person. I don't find it offensive, so it's not really an insult. Just how I see things, but I wish it were the case with more people. Would be nice to see words not become offensive anymore...

Yeah.

Why do women have to get all huffy and puffy when they get called a c**t.
I don't know. It's just a word, the offensiveness is in the person who hears it and thinks "that's a bad word and I don't like it". If that person thinks "it's a word and it doesn't mean anything to me", you can't be offended. Savvy?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
"Nigger" means nothing to me other than black person. I don't find it offensive, so it's not really an insult. Just how I see things, but I wish it were the case with more people. Would be nice to see words not become offensive anymore...

I don't know. It's just a word, the offensiveness is in the person who hears it and thinks "that's a bad word and I don't like it". If that person thinks "it's a word and it doesn't mean anything to me", you can't be offended. Savvy?
You should just type:
"Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt me." That will save you some typing.
Also, don't forget to wish for world peace too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i challenge you to take your theory and explain it to a black gospel church podium. Come back with your findings and let us all know how it went.

The problem with your theory is that it's based in ignorance. Primarily ignoring the reality of racism. Putting the veil over your head is just about as bad as putting a sheet over your head in my opinion.

It's amazing how smart you guys are, how stupid you are when it comes to this kinda stuff.:biggrin:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So Opie, with that definition, you almost admit its not a purely racial slur, but instead a lifestyle description, which, oddly enough, is how most blacks I know use the term, intermittently, amongst themselves. I think that lessens the poison of its use.
I might have my own definition for any term, but I recognize and accept the definition that's common. But then again, I got 'my' definition from a Lawerence Fishburn movie... "A nigger would bother answering that question." (or somethign like that)

"Nigger" means nothing to me other than black person.
wow, that's just ignorant.

For one thing, that's a common term used for blacks by slave traders... so it's ok for you to use it to describe blacks if, ya know, you own some.

Also, nigger in latin is kike, which is used derogatorily for jews... are not "black", so you're theory is screwed up there.

i challenge you to take your theory and explain it to a black gospel church podium. Come back with your findings and let us all know how it went.

The problem with your theory is that it's based in ignorance. Primarily ignoring the reality of racism. Putting the veil over your head is just about as bad as putting a sheet over your head in my opinion.

It's amazing how smart you guys are, how stupid you are when it comes to this kinda stuff.:biggrin:
approved.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
You should just type:
"Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt me." That will save you some typing.
Also, don't forget to wish for world peace too.
I didn't say it was a truth, but it's how I operate.

Jeremy R is touchy about racism I see... :rolleyes:

Again, YMMV, but if the black community stopped finding the word "nigger" offensive, would there be any point in using it when talking about a black person? No. It would have no meaning. THAT'S my point. Racism is propagated by the continued idea that these words are offensive, which continues to give them their power.

wow, that's just ignorant.

For one thing, that's a common term used for blacks by slave traders... so it's ok for you to use it to describe blacks if, ya know, you own some.

Also, nigger in latin is kike, which is used derogatorily for jews... are not "black", so you're theory is screwed up there.
Wrong, Opie. Ignorance in giving the word the power to be offensive. And last time I checked, I don't speak latin, so "nigger" means black person.

You're all assuming that I walk around talking like a Klan member. I'm simply pointing out that the word can't hurt you if you simply don't find it offensive. Is there ANYTHING wrong with not finding the word "nigger" "kike" or any other racial slur offensive? Not really. Just because I'm not the PC police and walk around saying "that's offensive to me, stop it" doesn't mean squat. Frankly, the world would be a better place if people just stopped getting all pissed off about what someone says to them and just move on with life.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How can you not find a word offensive when the meaning and intent is offensive.

You can substitute "apple" for "nigger" and in 30 years, "apple" will become just as offensive. Yes, words are just letters, but it's not the word, it's the meaning and context.

You apple.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
How can you not find a word offensive when the meaning and intent is offensive.

You can substitute "apple" for "nigger" and in 30 years, "apple" will become just as offensive. Yes, words are just letters, but it's not the word, it's the meaning and context.

You apple.
I'm an apple? Really? :cupidarrow:

How can I not find a word offensive when the intent is offensive? Easy. I don't. Why be offended; there's a lot worse to be offended about than some dolt spitting racial epithets at you.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I'm an apple? Really? :cupidarrow:

How can I not find a word offensive when the intent is offensive? Easy. I don't. Why be offended; there's a lot worse to be offended about than some dolt spitting racial epithets at you.
Is it safe to assume it's easy for you to come to your overly simplistic idealistic conclusion based on non-reality since you've never had to constantly deal with prejudice?:busted:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is it safe to assume it's easy for you to come to your overly simplistic idealistic conclusion based on non-reality since you've never had to constantly deal with prejudice?:busted:
:stupid:

That's probably true, but I'd like to think that people who can't be empathetic can atleast be sympathetic.

Nothing like someone asking where your horns are.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I fail to see how it's overly simplistic and idealistic if it works for me. I guess I'm a bad person for not standing up and saying "you're offending me, asshole" every time I hear a racial slur? Who CARES! Arguing about it just gives people the reaction they wanted; you're pissed enough about it to argue about it.

:stupid:

That's probably true, but I'd like to think that people who can't be empathetic can atleast be sympathetic.

Nothing like someone asking where your horns are.
Life's not fair Opie. I'm not saying it is. If people want equality, then we need equality. No affirmative action, no racial bias committees or any of that crap. We'll never have that, so we need those things.

Fighting racism is not my fight, and I won't make it my fight. I pick my battles, and that one is not one I'm prepared to, or willing to become involved in.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I think without the n word his tirade would have been equally malicious. It wasn't about the word, he delibrately put it in a hateful context by referring to the 50s and racism.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I fail to see how it's overly simplistic and idealistic if it works for me. I guess I'm a bad person for not standing up and saying "you're offending me, asshole" every time I hear a racial slur? Who CARES! Arguing about it just gives people the reaction they wanted; you're pissed enough about it to argue about it.

Life's not fair Opie. I'm not saying it is. If people want equality, then we need equality. No affirmative action, no racial bias committees or any of that crap. We'll never have that, so we need those things.

Fighting racism is not my fight, and I won't make it my fight. I pick my battles, and that one is not one I'm prepared to, or willing to become involved in.
Fine your points are still are based in non-reality. And apathy is part of the problem, not the solution.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Fine your points are still are based in non-reality. And apathy is part of the problem, not the solution.
It's extremely easy to think that racism isn't a problem at all when you are NEVER going to have to deal with it. I don't think racial profiling is a problem myself, because I've never been pulled over for driving a nice car and being black...therefore, the problem obviously doesn't exist. :brow: