Quantcast

ktm 300 xcw vs... Looking for options

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/3281727914.html

What do you guys think, I talked to him and its never had road miles on it really, just to get between he trails i guess.
The plastic and graphics make that a 2011 300xc-w except I thought they came with a clear tank. The reason 2010/2011 matters is it got a 6speed for '11 which is very coveted. I might spend the $900 to put one in my 2010 come rebuild time. If the top end was just done 10hrs ago and everything else is nice it would be worth $4000+ to me, though that's enough hours you really wanna look at the condition of the whole bike and negotiate price from there. Consider a new one with the lights added would cost $8000 and he's already gone through the trouble of getting it plated so now that plate should transfer to any state. That seems to add quite a bit to the value of a bike, though it may not matter to you.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
200 hours is high for a 2010. Super high. If it didn't have any road miles, that means it was all offroad, which is definitely no better. One look at that air filter says "F that". Also if it's never had a new crank or gear inspection, it's due. ~$3000 factoring in the price of an engine rebuild.
My 2010 has 170hrs on it and still feels tight and new. I'll replace the rings and maybe the piston at the end of the year. That filter doesn't look terrible. Due for a cleaning but that's how my filter looks after a day of riding with some dust. If the backside and airboot are clean it's doing its job. I wouldn't be worried about the bottom end unless it's seen dirt or sat for a long time with moist air. I've never heard of a problem with recent KTM trannies except if the chain is run too tight.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The shift forks give out frequently on the bottom ends. 400 hours is silly, they only last that long if you never shift or never rev. Motor maintenance is preventative, not...whatever the opposite of preventative is. Expense goes sky high with an actual failure.

If he can't bother cleaning the filter before taking a picture of it for an ad, that's pretty damn lazy...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
**** it, found a new one from 2011. No miles, no hours.
Maybe Kolab Jeebus bless the ****ty Phoenix economy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Basically.

The edge quality and flatness of their rings is just crap compared to anyone elses. Look at them under a microscope and you'll see tons of burrs and nicks and chips on the gliding surfaces. It probably gets worn in during the first couple heat cycles, but still not comforting.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Yeah the hours on that 300 do worry me, I just talked to a buddy that is local and he said the bike has been on craigslist for over 3 months for 4300. There must be a reason it has been on there for so long then. I dont want to spend the money but a loal dealer has a 2012 xcw 250 for 6300 out the door, zero miles. I would love to get a new bike that I know dosent have history and just keep it for 5-10 years.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah the hours on that 300 do worry me, I just talked to a buddy that is local and he said the bike has been on craigslist for over 3 months for 4300. There must be a reason it has been on there for so long then. I dont want to spend the money but a loal dealer has a 2012 xcw 250 for 6300 out the door, zero miles. I would love to get a new bike that I know dosent have history and just keep it for 5-10 years.
That's really cheap. Granted the 250 isn't quite as popular as the 300 but I thought I'd gotten a great deal at $7200 OTD on my 2010 300xc-w.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A GasGas is a Spanish made bike (company with a trials background) that has a very linear powerband, low/centered CG, better brakes, a bunch of parts crossovers with jap bikes, and great technical handling characteristics. I've been looking at a 2012 GG300 off and on myself.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
A GasGas is a Spanish made bike (company with a trials background) that has a very linear powerband, low/centered CG, better brakes, a bunch of parts crossovers with jap bikes, and great technical handling characteristics. I've been looking at a 2012 GG300 off and on myself.
Is it enough better than a KTM to be worth the reduced dealer network and parts availability? I guess that's the question with any exotic and who the owner is and how far to the closest dealer has a big impact.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is it enough better than a KTM to be worth the reduced dealer network and parts availability? I guess that's the question with any exotic and who the owner is and how far to the closest dealer has a big impact.
Their dealer networks has greatly improved lately.

Honestly, KTM parts aren't super easy to find, or cheap. I would not say the GasGas is not much of a step backwards in that area.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Supposedly the 2012 has a few issues and friends told me to avoid that year. I have an 09 EC 300 and I love it. I haven't had any troubles finding OEM parts through a normal moto shop that doesn't even carry Gas Gas.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Supposedly the 2012 has a few issues and friends told me to avoid that year. I have an 09 EC 300 and I love it. I haven't had any troubles finding OEM parts through a normal moto shop that doesn't even carry Gas Gas.
What issues have you been hearing about them?

The Ossa DI 300cc 2-stroke looks REALLY damn nice. If I were going to spend money on a new bike for once, that would probably be it.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
what do you guys think of this bike, has 30hours on it

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3297535857.html
The general look, hours, mods and repairs, and timing of the sale make me think this was a race bike. If the number plate is legit it was a fast racer's bike. It probably has more engine and tranny wear than an 80h bike being sold by a mellow trail rider. I'd still give it a look but be suspicious and feel the guy out as to how hard the bike was used and how far away engine work will be. Inspect every part for crash damage too. Why do you think he got a new pipe and guard?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The general look, hours, mods and repairs, and timing of the sale make me think this was a race bike. If the number plate is legit it was a fast racer's bike. It probably has more engine and tranny wear than an 80h bike being sold by a mellow trail rider. I'd still give it a look but be suspicious and feel the guy out as to how hard the bike was used and how far away engine work will be. Inspect every part for crash damage too. Why do you think he got a new pipe and guard?
Hah. KTM riders who (legitimately) hold a #1 red plate: Caselli (although he still runs a 66 or something by choice I think), Mullins, and one or two others. None of which are named nick and ride a 200. If I had a dollar for every bike I saw with a #1 plate on it that had never been to a race, I'd be able to afford a decent bike with that money.

Just decals. Chicks dig em.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If I had a dollar for every bike I saw with a #1 plate on it that had never been to a race, I'd be able to afford a decent bike with that money.

Just decals. Chicks dig em.
Just email and ask. Find out his full name search. This isn't USA cycling. Results are done within a few hours and live in a day or two max typically.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
talked to him last night, he said he never crashed hard. Rides hare scrambles with it and sponsored by a local shop. His name is Nick Hunter, ride for Mason Racing. It is one or 3 bikes he has. Says he has 6 races and a few practices that he thinks add up to 30ish hours. Top end has just been done. I might go check it out his week but its about 3 hours from me.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
6 actual races would definitely be a good interval to at least re-ring the piston..

don't you usually do a top-end at 40hrs? bike has been raced...so a rebuild at 30hrs doesn't raise red flags necessarily. however, FWIW, my previous bike was used, raced, 40hrs...and now riding a brand new bike to compare, looking back, that used bike was clapped out.

i'd go over that bike with a fine toothed comb. as someone mentioned, bring someone who knows dirtbike engines with you. be skeptical.

good luck ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just do a compression test. If its down, then open up and check tolerances. Replace whats necessary. Unless you are using junk oil and don't change your air filter regularly I just don't see why you need to replace the top end (or rings) at 40 hrs.

Trail riding KTMs routinely go 150+ hrs on a top end. Heard some guys go 200+ hrs.

I've raced my 12 250sx. It has about 40hrs on it. Nowhere close to needing a top end (or rings). Maybe I don't really "race"? But to be fair, I am not running a #1 plate.

Not saying there is anything wrong with replacing the top end on a KTM 2stroke at 40 hrs. At most he spent $200 for some piece of mind. But with regular air filter changes and good oil it will go much long than that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Every 5 hours is fine. I change those after every 2 short rides or every 1 big ride, which is probably close to the same interval as yours.

KTM's seem to like Motorex and Motul at higher mixture ratios (40:1, 50:1, 60:1). I'd stay away from the Maxima stuff. Haven't found any of their oils to be very impressive in terms of durability. Their gear oils and suspension fluids seem to break down ultra fast compared to anything else.

FYI whoever says doing oil changes on a 4-stroke is less of a PITA than doing a gearbox oil drain/fill and putting some premix in the gas has obviously never done a proper oil change on a 4-stroke.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I run Motul 710 at 50:1, BelRay gear oil, and Maxima Filter Oil. Our local KTM shop is run by the Rainman of KTMs. He has been selling KTMs exclusively since 1985. He can tell you the thread pitch of every bolt on just about every year model. The above oils is all that he stocks and thus what I run.

I try to change my air filter every other ride unless its dusty, then its every ride. I try to have 4-5 filters for each bike and just wash a bunch at a time.

I change my gear oil about every 10 hrs.

On my 530 4stroke I change the engine oil every 10hrs and gear oil ever 30hrs as that bike has separate cases.

My 530 has 130hrs on it and the valves are within spec, starts easily, and is a tractor in the woods. Most the miles are dual sport, but I do ride it in the woods and when I do, I show the throttle no mercy. That bike has needed the least maintenance of any bike I've owned. Everything is still original.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
FYI whoever says doing oil changes on a 4-stroke is less of a PITA than doing a gearbox oil drain/fill and putting some premix in the gas has obviously never done a proper oil change on a 4-stroke.
Hear that. I have to remove the skid plate, drain oil, then lay bike on its side, remove filter cover, remove filter, suck out remaining oil, put back in same amount of new oil, soak filter in new oil, put new filter in, replace cover, add remaining oil to crank, stand bike back up, and replace the skid plate.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Hear that. I have to remove the skid plate, drain oil, then lay bike on its side, remove filter cover, remove filter, suck out remaining oil, put back in same amount of new oil, soak filter in new oil, put new filter in, replace cover, add remaining oil to crank, stand bike back up, and replace the skid plate.
wUrd. Just got done changing my yz450 oil. Not TOO bad, but still a pain to have to do. Then again, I don't think I'm as careful as you are.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for all the great info guys, I have been looking at 450's and 505 ktms also. Any years to avoid? This may sound weird but I have never ridden a proper big cc 4 stroke. Only 450's I have ridden is a old wr450 and a new bmw 450. Both are big and heavy in my opinion. My main reason on the 250 or 300 was that it is all I am use to and what all my riding buddies have. Are the new lighter 450's really that much clumsier when throwing them around in the woods, or do people just not like to give the new bikes credit. I mean the new 2012 ktm 450 xc-f only weighs 13lbs more than the 2 smoker, but dose have a higher center of gravity. I am trying to weigh out my options. I have seen a few 09 ktm 505's and some 2010 450's near me for sale that are very clean. As long as the previous owner has kept up on the oil changes and valve checks are they relativity bullet proof motors?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks for all the great info guys, I have been looking at 450's and 505 ktms also. Any years to avoid? This may sound weird but I have never ridden a proper big cc 4 stroke. Only 450's I have ridden is a old wr450 and a new bmw 450. Both are big and heavy in my opinion. My main reason on the 250 or 300 was that it is all I am use to and what all my riding buddies have. Are the new lighter 450's really that much clumsier when throwing them around in the woods, or do people just not like to give the new bikes credit. I mean the new 2012 ktm 450 xc-f only weighs 13lbs more than the 2 smoker, but dose have a higher center of gravity. I am trying to weigh out my options. I have seen a few 09 ktm 505's and some 2010 450's near me for sale that are very clean. As long as the previous owner has kept up on the oil changes and valve checks are they relativity bullet proof motors?
No they're not bulletproof. They're single cylinder performance race motors. If you really ride them, you'll be opening them up as often as a 2-stroke. Only you'll be paying 4x as much. If you only putt around on them, they can last a long while - same as any bike.

Yes they'll handle way more clumsy. They have more rotating mass up high on the bike. Single cam bikes are affected less by this, but the effect is still there. The frames are also taller to accept the larger motor.

They'll also run hotter than hell for slow speed stuff.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
^It's not just about static weight, each spinning part acts as a gyroscope. A 4stroke has lots of spinning parts up high. Also the compression braking lends to a heavier feel. If you ride a similar 2 & 4strokes back to back, say 300 & 450 XC-Ws, you'll instantly feel the difference.

When comparing weights look at what trail equipment is included. A motocrosser made suitable for trails will gain weight.

Maintanence: A KTM Hardparts filter cover will greatly increase filter changing intervals. It's very easy to slip off, rinse, and put back on. Tranny oil intervals should be determined by how dirty the oil looks when drained since evey rider wears the clutch and tranny differently. I've worked up to 20h and it still looks like new. No need to go any longer than that.

Last edited:

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Ok, you made my decision then, I will stick to the 2 smoker then, haha
We beat the hell out of a aprilia rxv550 in college when we used it for our formula sae car, so i got use to 4 stroke maintenance. The weight thing is the biggest thing that I am looking to stick to a 2 stroke. Has anyone ridden any of ktm's new linkage bike offroad? How are they compared to the old PDS?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well, the biggest benefit to the linkage systems on modern dirt bikes isn't that it necessarily makes things "plusher", but the shock is placed a LOT lower in the chassis, and its orientation definitely affects the feedback to the rider/main frame. In this sense, the linkage system was an improvement for KTM.

In the past, their biggest complaints have been suspension harshness, so they've gone plush plush plush on the new stuff. Tons of bleed in the valving, very light highspeed valving, undersprung for most riders blah blah blah. So it's tough to make a direct comparison of the two systems since they radically changed the valving around the same time. The opinions I've been reading over on KTM Talk about the new linked systems have been that if you ride any fast stuff at all, it's going to be dangerously soft, but it feels mighty nice on slowspeed techy stuff.

Many riders did feel the last year of the link-less PDS system (2011) they really nailed it.

Either one will need to be set up for you properly to work right. KTM's are generally very sensitive to sag numbers in their handling. Just factor that cost in now.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
After going up a spring rate and much clicker clicking I'm happy with the PDS and it's lighter, simpler, less stuff to pack with mud and wear out, and nothing to hang up on logs and rocks. When I switched from my Yamaha I noticed the last point right away. The XC-Ws continue to come with the linkless PDS.

After going up a spring rate and much clicker clicking I'm happy with the PDS and it's lighter, simpler, less stuff to pack with mud and wear out, and nothing to hang up on logs and rocks. When I switched from my Yamaha I noticed the last point right away. The XC-Ws continue to come with the linkless PDS.
agreed, if you're looking at used linkage bikes, be sure to check for play as a sign of bearing/bushing wear.

all mx bikes single pivots....so when is the DW-link MX bike coming out??? :D:p

i still have my suspension clickers at stock...just need to measure sag. how come they emphasize rear wheel sag, but not front fork sag when it comes to dirtbike? and they always measure sag by measuring the distance from the rear axle to any user-defined point on the rear fender area, how is that accurate??? or consistent???

i've always just done eye-to-eye, provided i know the stroke.

Last edited: