Quantcast

Kuat customer service...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
is the best in the business! Roommate accidentally backed into my rack, I was expecting hundreds in replacement parts. Craig at Kuat found parts that would fix it for thirty bucks. Super stoked! Then I mentioned that one of the ratchet arms that hold the front wheel stopped ratcheting. He is sending me two of those free, and then decided to just send the other parts free.
Truly 'face melting' customer service.
Would bang again, repeatedly.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Yeah, I've had great experiences with them as well. I've had mutlitple things break or wear out on my rack and they have sent me replacement parts without asking for much(they usually ask me for a picture of the worn/failed part, but that's abolut it) for free.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Same story here.

The lock on the cable on my NV rack stopped working after last winter. Probably my fault as we were riding right up until January, as there was no snow on the ground, but they were still salting the roads. Lock was siezed when I went to use it this spring.

Sent them an email about it, all they asked for was my shipping address. New lock and cable was at my door a week later. They didn't ask for my proof of sale, serial number or anything...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Another one for Kuat...

One of the ratcheting arms on my rack stopped working a few weeks ago (the arm just pulls out now). Sent them an email saying what happened and all they asked was the colour of the rack and my address. Parts were at the house a few days later.

Thing is, they not only sent a replacement for the broken arm, but a 2nd arm as well. Sweet.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Another similar story here. Ratchet stopped working. Sent 2 at no charge. They don't rust out like a piece of shit Thule.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Another one for Kuat...

One of the ratcheting arms on my rack stopped working a few weeks ago (the arm just pulls out now). Sent them an email saying what happened and all they asked was the colour of the rack and my address. Parts were at the house a few days later.

Thing is, they not only sent a replacement for the broken arm, but a 2nd arm as well. Sweet.
Yup, they did the same for me. Good stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
To be completely fair to Kuat, my particular rack has been put through a lot of abuse. Except for February and March of this year, it has been on a car through thick and thin for over a year. Being used almost every day.

Same with my Crankbrother pedals..... :busted:

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
1up has the market on racks that are low-pro, don't rust and are quite hard to steal.
and yet mine is stuck in my receiver and I can't get it out. I only left it in there for about 6 weeks... I want to use it one someone else's car for an upcoming road trip but I don't know how I'll get it out... :( it's not corroded in caus' I can still wiggle it side to side, it just won't back out...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The anti-wobble cam system on my Kuat NV stopped working.

One simple email and they are sending a replacement, no questions asked.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I dunno... not breaking in the first place is even better in my books.

A buddy had the 4 bike version buckle at the joint between the 2nd and 3rd bike. Didn’t break, but it bent.

They DO look nice, though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Da Peach yeah totally. Every time I see one a 1up rack, I consider making a new purchase. But until this thing totally shits the bed, its good enough. Their support is great and the replacement parts aren't too expensive.

And to be completely fair to the rack, I keep it on the car for 10 months of the year. I took it off my car in January this year, so it went through hell in the salt and snow (including being driven to North Carolina and back).

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
and yet mine is stuck in my receiver and I can't get it out. I only left it in there for about 6 weeks... I want to use it one someone else's car for an upcoming road trip but I don't know how I'll get it out... :( it's not corroded in caus' I can still wiggle it side to side, it just won't back out...
I realize I'm replying to an old post, but I had the same problem. I have a downhill driveway. I tied a tow strap around a tree at top of the driveway and hooked it to the rack on the car. I then put chocks a couple inches in front of the wheels, prayed a little and put it in neutral and released the e-brake. The weight of the car trying to roll down the hill wasn't enough, so I had to hit the rack with a hammer to get it to slowly slide off. Turns out the ball had seized to the bar preventing the tension from releasing. I emailed dude and he had a new bar in the mail same-day. Not sure the difference, but I haven't had the problem since, and that was a couple years ago.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
thinking about scoring a kuat nv 2.0. Thoughts?

I need a rack by wednesday, and the 1up will take too long to get here.
I bought the Swagman Chinook and i have not had an issue yet. Here.
It has now seen several monsoon i don't see any rust. It folds away nice and compact and i cant see it when its folded up.

The only 2 things i don't like about:
1.) The locking mech is plastic... everything else is metal. Not sure why they did that, when other models they have use metal locks.
2.) It does wobble, but not dramatically. Got 2 bikes to flagstaff and back with 0 issues.

Most of the bad reviews i saw about it were those two complaints. Nothing about it failing, or rusting.
I do live in a dry environment so it lives on my car. YMMV.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I realize I'm replying to an old post, but I had the same problem. I have a downhill driveway. I tied a tow strap around a tree at top of the driveway and hooked it to the rack on the car. I then put chocks a couple inches in front of the wheels, prayed a little and put it in neutral and released the e-brake. The weight of the car trying to roll down the hill wasn't enough, so I had to hit the rack with a hammer to get it to slowly slide off. Turns out the ball had seized to the bar preventing the tension from releasing. I emailed dude and he had a new bar in the mail same-day. Not sure the difference, but I haven't had the problem since, and that was a couple years ago.
This is not good news. I'm having the same problem again this year. I've been ignoring it for the time being, but that's not a good permanent solution. I guess I better get on that before it gets too bad. grrrr.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anti-seize all the things?
yeah, I think that after a few years, this system needs annual maintenance in the spring... remove and grease the bolt, clean and grease that ball, and take a wire brush to the hitch receiver. I cleaned the system last fall, so I thought I was good this spring, and all I did was take a wire brush to the received. but I guess it wasn't enough. :/

I think I'll have to crawl under the car and soak that shit with WD-40 or something, let it sit for a while, then try and hammer it out from the back somehow.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is not good news. I'm having the same problem again this year. I've been ignoring it for the time being, but that's not a good permanent solution. I guess I better get on that before it gets too bad. grrrr.
Sounds like the ball needs some lube. I never keep mine on for more than a few days at a time.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sounds like the ball needs some lube. I never keep mine on for more than a few days at a time.
yeah, agreed. I think I realized it was stuck after 4 days or so. But I was too sore from falling on my head to go make the efforts to take it off, then I went on holiday, and then and then and then... blah blah blah... now it's stuck. :doh:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I had the same issue with a 1up rack getting stuck in the hitch after neglecting it for a while. Used a pair of bottle jacks to gently press it out. I took the hitch off the car to do this but it wasn't completely necessary. Liberal application of anti seize when re-installing.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
thinking about scoring a kuat nv 2.0. Thoughts?

I need a rack by wednesday, and the 1up will take too long to get here.
You don't want a 1up anyway, they aren't all they are cracked up to be. I had one and sold it.
The NV 2.0 seems durable but is heavy. The Sherpa 2.0 is light so it's easy to take on and off the car.
I have a Saris Superclamp 2, for me it hits the sweet spot of price, function, weight, and durability.

I also never leave a rack on my car for extended periods of time, only when I need it. Luckily I have a park within riding distance of home so I really only use the rack on weekends.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My bike rack goes on the car in spring and doesn't come off until October or November. No way I am taking it on and off everyday.

Mine has never gotten stuck in the hitch receiver. Though I do clean both the receiver and rack pretty thoroughly and coat them in lithium grease. When I take it off in the winter, more lithium grease gets applied on the receiver.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Disagree that the 1up isn't all it's cracked up to be. Far better piece of equipment for one or two bikes than anything I've owned or used. Also, agreed on not having to take it on/off. On my new bar, the ball was heavily coated in grease. That could be the major difference. I did anti-seize the old bar, but didn't think to do the ball. I'll be sure to grease it again when it comes off for the winter. A little maintenance once a year isn't a big deal for something that gets shit on constantly, and will probably outlast my next several cars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My bike rack goes on the car in spring and doesn't come off until October or November. No way I am taking it on and off everyday.

Mine has never gotten stuck in the hitch receiver. Though I do clean both the receiver and rack pretty thoroughly and coat them in lithium grease. When I take it off in the winter, more lithium grease gets applied on the receiver.
it's one thing if you're using it multiple times a week and taking care of it as you described.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
...I mentioned that one of the ratchet arms that hold the front wheel stopped ratcheting. He is sending me two of those free...
This just happened to me, as painless as it can get. No dollars, just an email followed up by some parts on the front porch. super impressed.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, we needed two spare keys for our hitch pin. Called them this morning, and they didn't have that key code anymore...so they are sending me a new hitch pin with 4 keys, and two new lock cores for the cable lock so that they all have the same key if I want, all free, no questions asked.
Great company.